Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Wilfredo Gomez at Featherweight

I've been reading some of the back and forth regarding Gomez and his effectiveness at 126 in the "What fights did you watch today" thread, and it got me to thinking.....do you think it's really that Gomez was suddenly just so less effective at 126 simply because of those extra four pounds, or is it possible that it wasn't so much 126 pounds he had issues with so much as it was whom he fought there? I mean, other than two HOF'ers in Sanchez and Nelson, there's nothing else to judge him on there. I sometimes wonder if he isn't being misunderstood at that weight.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez at Featherweight

I think he was obviously still a very good fighter(or would have made a very good feather had he fought someone of lesser talent and won) around the time he fought Sanchez, but my own thoughts are Gomez was a natural sized Bantam without the punch-resistance to be truly great at Featherweight.

His lack of dedication is well known, but he was like that all through his career.In a way i think he would be better remembered had he kept his weight down that slight bit and fought at Bantam, but instead he went for the weaker weightclass that allowed him more leeway in making weight.

Basically still a very good fighter circa Sanchez that had lost a notch physically and technically(but hardly enough for it to be made a big deal of at the time, or not to be favoured in many peoples eyes).

Lost a couple more notches after the Sanchez beating and was done as a very good fighter after Pintor, which was a last hurrah and awesome "gutcheck in presence of diminishing skills\athleticism" fight.

When he then moved up and fought Laporte i've always thought he looked faded, strained and unconvincing.Laporte was truly awful that night, if he just choked against a national hero or was cowed by Gomez still carrying formidable power(doesn't seem likely considering his chin and other fights imo) i can't fully say, but he was basically a heavybag.

Took a fairly long layoff and then looked similarly unconvincing against Nelson, who just casually wore him down and brutally finished things off.

Gomez in those fights(and in most of his post-Sanchez 122 fights) had the look of a precision boxer-puncher who was just unravelling at the seams.nothing in his highly intricate style working quite as it used to, with his balance and legs nowhere near what they were in the 70s.

So in a nutshell i'd say he was initially likely to have enough to be a very good featherweight, but was unlucky to run into and be destroyed by a great one.In later forays at the weight he was nothing particularly special.Comparable to the Curry that was still able to beat guys like Aquino and Rosi.

Even if he had been able to establish himself at feather at some point without a talent the level of Sanchez there to intrude, i don't think he would have ever been truly great at the weight.Just didn't have the chin or legs to carry that style at the higher weight on his small frame.We might have got a better idea at how well his power carried up though.I'm still unsure how hard he actually hit at 126, but i don't imagine it was too special.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I think he was obviously still a very good fighter(or would have made a very good feather had he fought someone of lesser talent and won) around the time he fought Sanchez, but my own thoughts are Gomez was a natural sized Bantam without the punch-resistance to be truly great at Featherweight.

His lack of dedication is well known, but he was like that all through his career.In a way i think he would be better remembered had he kept his weight down that slight bit and fought at Bantam, but instead he went for the weaker weightclass that allowed him more leeway in making weight.

Basically still a very good fighter circa Sanchez that had lost a notch physically and technically(but hardly enough for it to be made a big deal of at the time, or not to be favoured in many peoples eyes).

Lost a couple more notches after the Sanchez beating and was done as a very good fighter after Pintor, which was a last hurrah and awesome "gutcheck in presence of diminishing skills\athleticism" fight.

When he then moved up and fought Laporte i've always thought he looked faded, strained and unconvincing.Laporte was truly awful that night, if he just choked against a national hero or was cowed by Gomez still carrying formidable power(doesn't seem likely considering his chin and other fights imo) i can't fully say, but he was basically a heavybag.

Took a fairly long layoff and then looked similarly unconvincing against Nelson, who just casually wore him down and brutally finished things off.

Gomez in those fights(and in most of his post-Sanchez 122 fights) had the look of a precision boxer-puncher who was just unravelling at the seams.nothing in his highly intricate style working quite as it used to, with his balance and legs nowhere near what they were in the 70s.

So in a nutshell i'd say he was initially likely to have enough to be a very good featherweight, but was unlucky to run into and be destroyed by a great one.In later forays at the weight he was nothing particularly special.Comparable to the Curry that was still able to beat guys like Aquino and Rosi.

Even if he had been able to establish himself at feather at some point without a talent the level of Sanchez there to intrude, i don't think he would have ever been truly great at the weight.Just didn't have the chin or legs to carry that style at the higher weight on his small frame.We might have got a better idea at how well his power carried up though.I'm still unsure how hard he actually hit at 126, but i don't imagine it was too special.

Good thoughts; one aspect I wanted to leave out for my own argument (mostly because it goes a long way toward defeating it) is what was happening to Gomez outside the ring, and how even though he was only maybe 26 by the time he fought Pintor, his legs had more or less gone. The earlier version of Gomez would have been able to get away from most of what Pintor threw.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Gomez was truly one of boxing's all-time greats but when it comes to his record at Featherweight the record speaks for itself: 1-2

Salvadore Sanchez: KO by 8 August 21, 1981.
Juan LaPorte: W12 March 31, 1984.
Azumah Nelson: KO by 11 December, 1984.

Record at Superfeatherweight:

Rocky Lockridge: W15 May, 1985.
Alfredo Layne: KO by 9 May, 1986.

And at Superfeatherweight it wasn't much better as I thought that he was lucky to get, what I and many observers who remembers the fight, the 15-round majority decision he received versus Rocky Lockridge and was coupled altogether a year later with the sad knockout loss to Alfredo Layne, which took Gomez out of possible big money superfights at the time with Hector "Macho" Camacho and Barry McGuiagan.
Nate 2011 is online now  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

This awesome documentary now has English subtitles.

BORKED
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Gomez was brilliant...a master...vs Juan LaPorte.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

More to do with his application more than size. As lora said he was more a bantam anyway, and a little guy, rather than a feather previously draining to 122.

Do not rate him much at all post-Sanchez. Even against Pintor he was a shell of himself, not saying he wasn't still brilliant but he was flat footed and gung-ho compared to his best work at 122 pre-Sanchez.

Against Nelson he was a mess just as Azumah was hitting his stride. Brutal.

At 130 I felt Lockridge was robbed.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
RafaelGonzal
Champion
East Side Guru

Gomez was really a lazy bantamweight who chose to fight at 122, but 118 is where he should have fought. He was a glorious fighter, but hated to train and loved to eat . It wasnt always like that, but Gomez went from one KO victory to another, it just seemed so easy for Wilfredo and he slowly lost his dedication and instaed embraced celebrity and the nightlife of Puerto Rico, this eroded his skills.

He gets a lot of stick for losing to the great Sanchez, yet we forget his great victory vs Zarate. It been what 35 yrs and no one has yet to equal what Gomez did at Jr Bantam. A dedicated Wifredo Gomez in his prime at 126 would have been just as great. The celebrity money and beautiful woman of Puerto Rico where his downfall. Wilfedo Benitez is another one who loathed to train and could have been so much more. Still I have Gomez in my top 50 ATG list.

Last edited by RafaelGonzal; 03-22-2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: i
RafaelGonzal is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #9
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Didn't have the physical advantages at 126 to dominate there really.

If you could stand up to his power, you were half way to beating him, and more often than not the very best 126 pounders would have been able to.

That said, the version that faced Sanchez would still give the likes of Morales, Barrera, Marquez a run for their money imo.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
RafaelGonzal
Champion
East Side Guru

Gomez had the the footwork, power and Boxing skill to have been a force at 126. After record setting success He began to party and barely trained for the Sanchez fight, compare his body in the Sanchez fight to how he looked vs Laporte. He could ill afford to be in anything less than his absolute best shape in order to compete with one of the greatest featherweights of all time. Sanchez made him pay for his arrogance. Gomez always wanted that rematch but it never came to pass as Sanchez died. Wilfredo was on a mission and against Laporte that mission was accomplished, after that his desire to train hard was gone. The fights after Laporte he was just a shell of his former self.

Last edited by RafaelGonzal; 03-22-2013 at 04:31 AM.
RafaelGonzal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum