Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

I've heard stories from both sides saying Johnson won and the other oh no Langford won, of course its marked as a win on both their records... What do you think really happened ?
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

From what I know, Langford - thirty pounds lighter - clearly lost but also gave a good account of himself so that Johnson wanted no part of him again, especially as Langford became bigger and better.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,741
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
From what I know, Langford - thirty pounds lighter - clearly lost but also gave a good account of himself so that Johnson wanted no part of him again, especially as Langford became bigger and better.
Yeah Langford followed him all the way around the world just like Johnson did to Burns except Johnson wouldnt give it too him apparently nobody wants to see 2 black men fight for the championship, maybe it was just cause Johnson said he didnt want any black man to win the title he wanted to stay the only black champion but in saying that hes saying he thought Langford could beat him...
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Ah
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,287
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Ah
No argument about that comprehensive report.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
From what I know, Langford - thirty pounds lighter - clearly lost but also gave a good account of himself so that Johnson wanted no part of him again, especially as Langford became bigger and better.
Langford was not only lighter ( 156 pounds ) he was just 20 years old!

If we examine the ages, weights, and experience level of fighting opponents the of 180 pounds when they meet, its all in Johnson's favor.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,287
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Langford was not only lighter ( 156 pounds ) he was just 20 years old!

If we examine the ages, weights, and experience level of fighting opponents the of 180 pounds when they meet, its all in Johnson's favor.
This of course is not true.
Langford had over 50 fights under his belt when they met , considerbaly more than Johnson.

Langford's birthday is a source of speculation, his date of birth is given as the 4th of March 1883 which would make him 23 when he met Johnson on the 26th of April 1906. Langford was 156lbs ,Johnson 185lbs both around 20 lbs below their optimum weights.

It's interesting that Mendozy harps on the weight dispariy here but never mentions the weight disparity between Jeffries and several of his opponents.

For example Sharkey conceding 32lbs, Fitz conceding 47lbs,Corbett conceding 30lbs,Finnegan conceding 60lbs, Griffin conceding 40lbs,Choynski conceding 52lbs.
ALL GIVING AWAY MORE WEIGHT THAN LANGFORD DID AGAINST JOHNSON .

But what can you expect from a slavish fan boy.?

NB. Mike Tyson was world's heavyweight champion at 20 and when he finally retired, he had 58 fights on his record, just 7 more than Langford had when he faced Johnson.

A poster said Johnson wanted no part of Langford when he became bigger and better.

Didn't Johnson also become bigger and better?

Last edited by mcvey; 01-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

seems Johnson avoided more of the tough fighters than Dempsey and he also had that racial divide, was it money as opposed to risk or did he just feel above everyone.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Like Dempsey, Johnson campaigned to be the clear outstanding contender. Like Dempsey Johnson cherry his defences once he had a secure legacy. Unlike Dempsey he held victories over everyone who became a contender to him.

This fight saw Langford clearly lose. Watching Langford v Flynn and they allude to Sam knocking Johnson down though I'm not sure how accurate that is.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

I've always been very curious about this fight -- please just bare with me.

But I don't think Johnson gets enough credit for this win. I know there was about a 30 pound discrepancy but he also clearly beats arguably the greatest boxer ever. Langford had over 50 fights to his name (more than Johnson) and the likes of McVea and Jeannette were having big fights early in the career just the same so Langford wasn't the only one.

Langford has a long string of great names on his resume -- but he still wasn't able to beat the best heavyweight of that era.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
I've always been very curious about this fight -- please just bare with me.

But I don't think Johnson gets enough credit for this win. I know there was about a 30 pound discrepancy but he also clearly beats arguably the greatest boxer ever. Langford had over 50 fights to his name (more than Johnson) and the likes of McVea and Jeannette were having big fights early in the career just the same so Langford wasn't the only one.

Langford has a long string of great names on his resume -- but he still wasn't able to beat the best heavyweight of that era.
You seem to discount the weight difference, but it stands above everything else.

Langford was smaller than Johnson/McVey/Wills/Jeanette.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
You seem to discount the weight difference, but it stands above everything else.

Langford was smaller than Johnson/McVey/Wills/Jeanette.

I know the weight difference was huge. But him and Greb were fighting bigger men all the time.

Idk, I just feel the guys fighting someone bigger than them literally have nothing to lose. I know defeating someone 30+ pounds heavier than you is miraculous. But if a loss to a bigger man is automatically forgotten and doesn't tarnish their resume, whatsoever -- then why do we blame the Dempsey's and Johnson's for ducking them?
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
I know the weight difference was huge. But him and Greb were fighting bigger men all the time.

Idk, I just feel the guys fighting someone bigger than them literally have nothing to lose. I know defeating someone 30+ pounds heavier than you is miraculous. But if a loss to a bigger man is automatically forgotten and doesn't tarnish their resume, whatsoever -- then why do we blame the Dempsey's and Johnson's for ducking them?
We blame them because the title shots had been earnt.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
We blame them because the title shots had been earnt.

Very true.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013