Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276
Default Re: Rate Manny Pacquiao's chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Mayweather being visibly hurt less times than Pacquiao his testament to his defence, not his chin. The man gets hit far less, and is therefore far less likely to be hurt. Pacquiao's been getting hit with those Judah, Mosley and Corely shots on a consistent basis since coming to the US, and not once, up until JMM 4, has he shown signs of being hurt like Mayweather has. Safe to say, peak-wise, Pacquiao has a more durable chin based on evidence of his actually being put to the test fight after fight.

That's fair enough, but the reaction to the punches when he does get hit is what I'm looking at. All it takes is one punch to do damage, he doesn't have to getting hit a lot for us to get an idea how well his chin holds up. I'm not going to say his chin is better than Pacquiao's, but I can't say it's concrete that it's worse either, based on what I've seen.
Smokin' Joe is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
That's fair enough, but the reaction to the punches when he does get hit is what I'm looking at. All it takes is one punch to do damage, he doesn't have to getting hit a lot for us to get an idea how well his chin holds up. I'm not going to say his chin is better than Pacquiao's, but I can't say it's concrete that it's worse either, based on what I've seen.
Of course. That's what we're all looking at. And Pacquiao's reaction, during the **** load of times his poor defence allowed him to get hit, was to not even buckle (for the most part). Instead, you would see his bouncing hair go all over the place and his reaction would be to attack right back - often with success.

Bar the last outting, I think the worst situation I would see Pacquiao in -- whilst fighting in the US -- is him just backing up in confusion/panic after being caught by hard counter rights. As well as that combo in Pac-JMM II where he was in mid-air and lost balance.

So, if it's reactions you're looking for, then evidence suggests Pacquiao had a tremendous chin during his peak years. His has been concretely proven, whereas Mayweather's hasn't. His has been kept out of harm's way, preventing us from giving an accurate assessment of it.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
I TuCKeR 93 I

vCash: 1176

8/10
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Trust this twerp to come in and ruin the thread. How come the mods haven't banned your trolling ass yet?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePunchKO View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

9/9.5 out of 10

Pacquiao's iron-chinned at welterweight. Bombs from Cotto, Margarito, and Clottey barey made him flinch.

But a 39 year old lightweight Mexican managed to drop and stop him because he "sat down on his punches" and not because he hired a PED expert and blew up in size.

Every single shot ROIDquez landed seemed to hurt, or at minimum, trouble Pacquiao. ROIDquez was punching like a middleweight that night.

Why was Pacquiao knocked senseless by a jab?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

Quote:
Of course. That's what we're all looking at. And Pacquiao's reaction, during the **** load of times his poor defence allowed him to get hit, was to not even buckle (for the most part). Instead, you would see his bouncing hair go all over the place and his reaction would be to attack right back - often with success.

Bar the last outting, I think the worst situation I would see Pacquiao in -- whilst fighting in the US -- is him just backing up in confusion/panic after being caught by hard counter rights. As well as that combo in Pac-JMM II where he was in mid-air and lost balance.

So, if it's reactions you're looking for, then evidence suggests Pacquiao had a tremendous chin during his peak years. His has been concretely proven, whereas Mayweather's hasn't. His has been kept out of harm's way, preventing us from giving an accurate assessment of it.

True enough, true enough. I still can't give Pacquiao's chin more than a 7 or 8 though given that he has been KO'd several times now, and I hate to keep going on about the jab.. but it was a JAB!

It just shows that there is some susceptibility there on occasion, regardless of how good his chin might appear at times. For that reason I can't call him iron chinned.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Quote:
Manny Pacquiao's reaction will always be worse than Mayweather's because of Manny's stance.

Mayweather will just roll it to take the weight out of the punches, or we'd see him get rocked the same way Pacman does, and the same way Mayweather got rocked by Mosley in the second round.
anj is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Tyler_Durden
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

He had a very good chin, I'd say about 9.
Tyler_Durden is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Average chin, strong beard...................
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
True enough, true enough. I still can't give Pacquiao's chin more than a 7 or 8 though given that he has been KO'd several times now, and I hate to keep going on about the jab.. but it was a JAB!

It just shows that there is some susceptibility there on occasion, regardless of how good his chin might appear at times. For that reason I can't call him iron chinned.
Lol I feel ya', but I honestly don't put much stock into knockdowns/outs in early parts of people's careers. Margarito was getting put on his ass as a teen, too. Tua was being floored in amateurs and people were tagging him as china-chinned. David ****ing Tua ! ****, even Barrera was getting knocked out before he hit his prime. These are all fighters who went on to be regarded as people with great beards.

So, we can bring up vids of Pac getting knocked out as a teen all we want. It proves nothing when you compare it to the large catalogue of fights where he was fully developed and facing the best opposition, and not seeing his legs even buckle (never mind touching the canvas). He's not the first person to look vulnerable as a teen, and he certainly won't be the last. I much prefer to assess fighters when they're in their primes against the best. That's when you truely see how good someone, or a particular attribute, is.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 590

From this point on his chin will probably be a 7 o/f 10.
But overall he had an great chin, prob like an 8.5
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

Quote:
Mayweather being visibly hurt less times than Pacquiao his testament to his defence, not his chin. The man gets hit far less, and is therefore far less likely to be hurt. Pacquiao's been getting hit with those Judah, Mosley and Corely shots on a consistent basis since coming to the US, and not once, up until JMM 4, has he shown signs of being hurt like Mayweather has. Safe to say, peak-wise, Pacquiao has a more durable chin based on evidence of his actually being put to the test fight after fight.
Not really fair to say he's been hit like SSM hit Floyd...I don't disagree that Manny has shown the durability of his chin, but the shot Floyd took from SSM, really both of them, I don't know that Manny eats them. Matter of fact JMM hit Manny with almost the same shot in the 3rd, and dropped Manny, that looping overhandish right.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
Whiskers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Up until Marquez 4 Pacquiao had one of the best chins in boxing. That's one of his greatest assets. He wouldn't have got as far as he has without it being as solid as it is. His main problem however is his defence. I don't care how good your chin is, if you're constantly jumping into counters and getting hit regularly then eventually you're going to get cracked. If most fighters fought the way Pacquiao has been fighting (including those that rarely get hurt like Hopkins, Ward, Mayweather and so on) then I guarantee most of them wouldn't have lasted near to what Pacquiao has.
Whiskers is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

7 or 8
Abdullah is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum