Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default JCC Sr : Canelo should fight Trout

Over at the scene. Not sure if he has a motive for saying this but I found it pretty interesting.

Doesn't necessarily mean he is correct but certainly something to think about especially for those who say Trout is overated and his only decent win is Cotto.

What do you think?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
MannySteward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 806
Default Re: JCC Sr : Canelo should fight Trout

Where was this advice when Chavez Jr was fighting Tom, Dick and Harry
MannySteward is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySteward View Post

u do have a point.
Doc is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He's echoing the words of pretty much every boxing fan. During the whole time Canelo's held a light middleweight title (coming up to two years now), he's not fought one person who you could say "good fight, this'll be a stiff test". Shit, he's not even fought a decent light middleweight. Trout, who I think he would beat, would be the first.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySteward View Post
True. He seems to have a bit of an odd relationship with his son, maybe Jr has a little less respect for him than you'd expect due to his addictions.....
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
He's echoing the words of pretty much every boxing fan. During the whole time Canelo's held a light middleweight title (coming up to two years now), he's not fought one person who you could say "good fight, this'll be a stiff test". Shit, he's not even fought a decent light middleweight. Trout, who I think he would beat, would be the first.
Canelo hasn't done anything for me to become a fan of his....I would like to see him beat some guys at 154lbs even if it wasn't Trout there are quite a number of decent opposition to take on.

He's resume is underwhelming to be honest.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Canelo hasn't done anything for me to become a fan of his....I would like to see him beat some guys at 154lbs even if it wasn't Trout there are quite a number of decent opposition to take on.

He's resume is underwhelming to be honest.
Yup. He's a good fighter with a pleasing style, and I generally enjoy watching him put his combinations together (quite beautiful at times), but I too have found it difficult to root for him in recent times. I defended him at the beginning, but the way GBP have been shielding him is the sort of thing that damages the sport. And the "he's only 22" excuse doesn't hold weight any more. Dude has had more fights than most 30 year olds. With that much in-ring time, he shouldn't still be 'green'. He should have proven himself himself against tougher opponents by now. And despite this -- not stepping up or showing signs of real development -- he's still being walked into a fight with a Mayweather. A classic example of trying to safely engineer/manufacture a superstar.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yup. He's a good fighter with a pleasing style, and I generally enjoy watching him put his combinations together (quite beautiful at times), but I've too have found it difficult to root for him in recent times. I defended him at the beginning, but the way GBP have been shielding him is the sort of thing that damages the sport. And the "he's only 22" excuse doesn't hold weight any more. Dude has had more fights than most 30 year olds. With that many fights he shouldn't still be 'green'. He's not stepped up or shown signs of real development, and for that he'll be walked into fight with a Mayweather. A classic example of engineering/manufacturing a superstar.
if he gets the fight with Mayweather, he is going to lose and then people are going to say well he was always a hype job anyway.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Ianian58
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 300

Legends say JCC also fought a lot of nobodies. Though he's great those that weren't nobodies were great fighters.
Ianian58 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
if he gets the fight with Mayweather, he is going to lose and then people are going to say well he was always a hype job anyway.
Exactly. Which, to be honest, will have both true and untrue elements to it. Sure, he is a product of a powerful hype machine that doesn't really belong in the ring with Mayweather, but at the same time, he isn't as poor as Mayweather will make him look. Canelo is a brilliant fighter, but he just won't be prepared for someone of Mayweather's level like he should be.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianian58 View Post
Legends say JCC also fought a lot of nobodies. Though he's great those that weren't nobodies were great fighters.
Just look at the names on his resume do you believe Canelo will end up with a resume anywhere near the quality of JCC's?

I think Chavez has the right to voice his opinion - which happens to be the opinion of most other boxing fans anyway.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Exactly. Which, to be honest, will have both true and untrue elements to it. Sure, he is a product of a powerful hype machine that doesn't really belong in the ring with Mayweather, but at the same time, he isn't as poor as Mayweather will make him look. Canelo is a brilliant fighter, but he just won't be prepared for someone of Mayweather's level like he should be.
I agree. I think if Canelo really wanted to fight Mayweather for as long as he has said he has, him and his team should have been steadily stepping up their competition. Mayweather is at the pinnacle of boxing and has tonnes of experience and skill it's not going to be no easy feat to beat him even at this stage in his career......no disrespect but he is not Oscar dude is dedicated to boxing....retirements or not he is ALWAYS in the gym and when they fight he will be more than ready and I believe will school Canelo.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Just look at the names on his resume do you believe Canelo will end up with a resume anywhere near the quality of JCC's?

I think Chavez has the right to voice his opinion - which happens to be the opinion of most other boxing fans anyway.
Chavez is entitled to say whatever he wants.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum