boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Langford vs Johnson Who really Won ?

Langford got battered but was only really a middleweight at that time. His toughness was noted though, went 15 didn't he?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
I know the weight difference was huge. But him and Greb were fighting bigger men all the time.

Idk, I just feel the guys fighting someone bigger than them literally have nothing to lose. I know defeating someone 30+ pounds heavier than you is miraculous. But if a loss to a bigger man is automatically forgotten and doesn't tarnish their resume, whatsoever -- then why do we blame the Dempsey's and Johnson's for ducking them?
In Langford's case, he filled out quite a bit (so did Johnson actually).
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Mendoza wrote:

Langford was not only lighter ( 156 pounds ) he was just 20 years old!

If we examine the ages, weights, and experience level of fighting opponents the of 180 pounds when they meet, its all in Johnson's favor

Quote:
mcvey says: This of course is not true.
Langford had over 50 fights under his belt when they met , considerbaly more than Johnson.
Read what I wrote MORON. How many men above 180 pounds did Langford beat prior to facing Johnson How about ZERO. In fact the heaviest man Langford meet prior to Johnson was about 160 pounds.

Quote:
McVey says:
Langford's birthday is a source of speculation, his date of birth is given as the 4th of March 1883 which would make him 23 when he met Johnson on the 26th of April 1906.
Or go by Clay's well researched book, and its 20 years old!

Quote:
Langford was 156lbs ,Johnson 185lbs both around 20 lbs below their optimum weights.
Most of Johnson's best wins are below 200 lbs.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Read what I wrote MORON. How many men above 180 pounds did Langford beat prior to facing Johnson How about ZERO. In fact the heaviest man Langford meet prior to Johnson was about 160 pounds.

Or go by Clay's well researched book, and its 20 years old!

Most of Johnson's best wins are below 200 lbs.

Let's take a look at this adamant assertion.
You have no way of knowing how many heavyweights Langford met prior to Johnson, simply because the weights are not available.What we do know is he fought Joe Jeannette,Jim Barry, and Black Fitzsimmons prior to Johnson. All were heavyweights.

Jeannette , just 22 days before he faced Langford, scaled 185lbs for a fight with Johnson. Five months after facing Langford Jim Barry scaled 190lbs for a fight with Larry Temple, so thats your assertion disposed of.

Clay Moyles book has received good reviews , have you actually read it?

No one , not even Langford actually knows how old he was,you have picked the lowest number you can to match your pathetic agenda.

ps Despite countless corrections you still persist in saying "when he meet", did you actually go to school Rainman ?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Like Dempsey, Johnson campaigned to be the clear outstanding contender. Like Dempsey Johnson cherry his defences once he had a secure legacy. Unlike Dempsey he held victories over everyone who became a contender to him.

This fight saw Langford clearly lose. Watching Langford v Flynn and they allude to Sam knocking Johnson down though I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Johnson dropped Langford twice for 9 counts , cut his eyes ,and broke his nose.
" he handed me the only real beating I ever took".Langford.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Johnson dropped Langford twice for 9 counts , cut his eyes ,and broke his nose.
" he handed me the only real beating I ever took".Langford.
Yeah I've read that too.

The commentary for the Flynn fight is clearly after the fact and seems poorly researched as they talk about Langford's to Flynn but fail to mention it being a closely fought no decision contest. I have never heard of langford dropping Johnson other than that piece of commentary.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Pretty cool article!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Pretty cool article!..
Senya usually comes up with the goods.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Let's take a look at this adamant assertion.
You have no way of knowing how many heavyweights Langford met prior to Johnson, simply because the weights are not available.What we do know is he fought Joe Jeannette,Jim Barry, and Black Fitzsimmons prior to Johnson. All were heavyweights.

Jeannette , just 22 days before he faced Langford, scaled 185lbs for a fight with Johnson. Five months after facing Langford Jim Barry scaled 190lbs for a fight with Larry Temple, so thats your assertion disposed of.

Clay Moyles book has received good reviews , have you actually read it?

No one , not even Langford actually knows how old he was,you have picked the lowest number you can to match your pathetic agenda.

ps Despite countless corrections you still persist in saying "when he meet", did you actually go to school Rainman ?

I welcome new data. I was using the weights at box rec, and in that case I was correct. OK. We use Clay's book. He says Langford's approximate age was 20, and Sam was 156 pounds. Johnson who had much more experience at heavy, was a mature man, and plenty of weight could not finish a 20 year old.

Jeannette was a novice when he meet Langford, and Black Fitz, and Jim Barry were journeyman types.

So to re-phase my statement, Langford had never meet a world class heavy over 185 pounds with experience when he meet Johnson.

PS: Can you show me with weights of Barry and Black Fitz when they fought Langford?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

There is eye witness testimony. Langfords manager spread the idea that Langford gave JJ a tough fight and also dropped him. Fleischers father in law was at the fight and stated the bout was one sided and that Sam took a terrible beating. He was knocked down twice for counts of nine and would have been counted out if the ref did not purposefully slow his count. When confronted with this Sams manager admitted the rumor he was spreading was a lie with the intent to goat JJ into a title fight with Langford.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I welcome new data. I was using the weights at box rec, and in that case I was correct. OK. We use Clay's book. He says Langford's approximate age was 20, and Sam was 156 pounds. Johnson who had much more experience at heavy, was a mature man, and plenty of weight could not finish a 20 year old.

Jeannette was a novice when he meet Langford, and Black Fitz, and Jim Barry were journeyman types.

So to re-phase my statement, Langford had never meet a world class heavy over 185 pounds with experience when he meet Johnson.

PS: Can you show me with weights of Barry and Black Fitz when they fought Langford?
MET! MET! MET! IT RHYMES WITH WET! NOT FEET!

Read Senya's report of the fight you re****. Clay does not know how old Langford was. NO ONE DOES.
Jeannette was a novice?

HE WAS A HEAVYWEIGHT, SO WERE BARRY, AND BLACK FITZSIMMONS THEIR ABILITIES THEN ARE IRRELEVANT.

DONT REPHASE YOUR STATEMENT. REPHRASE IT!

AND TO SAY, I WAS WRONG IN SAYING LANGFORD DID NOT FACE ANYONE OVER 160lbs PRIOR TO FIGHTING JOHNSON ,HE FOUGHT AT LEAST 3 HEAVYWEIGHTS . ITS CALLED GRACEFULLY ADMITTING YOU ARE WRONG. **** ME ! YOU'VE PLENTY OF EXPERIENCE OF THE LATTER PART OF THAT SENTENCE.

I CAN'T PROVIDE THE WEIGHTS FOR BARRY AND FITZSIMMONS, NEITHER CAN YOU, THAT'S MY WHOLE POINT!

THEY WERE HEAVYWEIGHTS ie OVER 160LBS GET IT?
JESUS ,YOU ARE HARD WORK RAINMAN

Below is a report of the Barry/ Langford 1910 fight. weights are given as 196lbs Barry 166lbs Langford.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by mcvey; 01-24-2013 at 04:32 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum