Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rate Manny Pacquiao's chin

In his best days, 8.5/10

I am really surprised the time gap between his KDs. I honestly thought that ODLH or Cotto would KD, if not KO him in the late rounds (or mid rounds with ODLH left hook).
Even Hatton or Margo I thought would wear him down in the late rounds for a TKO.
crimson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

When you fight recklessly you get ktfo no matter who you are. 'Iron chinned' pressure guys come in slow and steady, not lunging in. When I saw PAC jmm one I said to my dad, this Filipino is awesome but he is going to get knocked out cold someday running in like that. His prime chin is like a 9 because no one can fight that way without getting sparked. That is why the mayweathers always say he sucked. .. But it took a decade longer than I thought for him to leap into a shot like that. Atg chin. Kids, don't fight like PAC unless you have the right attributes, you will have a very short career
aramini is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
jan_fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The Marquez hype after December fight says it all.
A lot of ignorant hating posters in this thread.

Defense NOT= chin
You throw some and you take some

Chin is around 8 or 9, closer to 9 maybe
jan_fan is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

P4p - 9.5
147 - 8
KO-KING is online now  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

8.5*, missed the point .5
KO-KING is online now  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

PacMan's chin is a bonafide 8.

He got knocked out and/or knocked down in his early fights, so I don't put too much stock on them.

When he was making his run, he got stunned by JMM in I, II, and III, but I don't believe he was ever seriously hurt. I think a large part of that was that JMM was not planting his feet to put more mustard on his punches because his plan was to outbox PacMan.

In JMM vs PacMan IV, JMM said, "**** this, I'm going to have to knock him out so there will be no doubt." Thus, he was planting himself more and gaining more power in his punches. This caused him to be caught a little more by PacMan AND the reason he was able to knockdown Pac and finally KO him. However, the KO was the perfect storm. Pac came in completely reckless and JMM timed him PERFECTLY.

Morales was able to hurt Pac in their first fight.

Barrera was able to hurt Pac in their 1st and 2nd fight.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #37
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict

8.5/10, a concrete chin, the only other guy around he's weight with a better chin was Margarito. Pac definatly doesnt like those body shots, but to not even take a knee when Jmm and Margo and Cotto landed perfectly timed hooks to hes ribs is a testament to hes great durability and will.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Why was Pacquiao knocked senseless by a jab?
Because he probably didn't see it and it was early in his career. Despite what you think chins can improve with time and conditioning. Look at Ali. His chin was questionable early on, but eventually he had the most durable chin in boxing.

You can't take as many shots as Pacquiao has, as consistently, from as many strong / big fighters as he has and not have a rock solid chin.

Let me ask you this about those those two early knockouts , do you think those were harder /better punches then Pacquiao has taken later on in his career?

The JMM knockout would have KO'd anybody. That was a picture perfect punch that Pacquiao litterally ran and fell on top of. However I question the durability of his chin at this point, because the ring / gym wars and age might have taken there effect. He was knocked down in the 3rd round by a punch that I'm not convinced he would have been droppped by several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
Like I said before:
Very good chin, glass body

Pacquiao ate up Cotto's body shots and basically every other guy he's fought with the exception of Margarito who caught him in the kidney with huge left hook , which Pacquiao stayed up from. There are sparring videos with Pacquiao letting his sparring partners tee-off on his ribcage / stomach.

Pac in his prime had amazing punch resistance, all across the board. He wasn't Margarito , but he was up there. You also have to factor in how small he is. This a career featherweight taking shots from guys naturally 2-3 weight classes heavier then he is.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Pacquaio.... hmm his real test was if he could take a flush Mosley loaded up roided right hand. We never got to see it, as mosley never got the chance to land it due to running the whole fight. But seeing what happened with Marquez, I have no doubt in my MIND, that Mosley, wouldve KD pac.
Snakefist is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #40
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Not that I'm a big Mayweather fan, but how is Pacquiao's chin better?

Mayweather's been on the canvas once, technically, but wasn't shaken up. Mosley had him momentarily stunned. Corley had him hurt for a short time. That's about it though.
It clearly is. Pac's a face first brawler that puts himself at risk. Mayweather reacts to punches and doesn't take them as cleanly. He's more defensive-oriented and doesn't get hit as often. When he gets hit cleanly by a real power-puncher he can be in a world of trouble (Mosley, Corley). Pac basically threw his entire momentum into an insanely timed Marquez shot that he never saw coming. Let's not try to re-write history and change reality. Pac has always had the superior chin.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
True enough, true enough. I still can't give Pacquiao's chin more than a 7 or 8 though given that he has been KO'd several times now, and I hate to keep going on about the jab.. but it was a JAB!

It just shows that there is some susceptibility there on occasion, regardless of how good his chin might appear at times. For that reason I can't call him iron chinned.
I'm not sure what you're going on about with the jab. Was it when he was a starving kid, I don't see how that really matters. Pac's chin is so great because he's got very strong legs. His core and neck/upper back are also very strong as well. These elements help you stay up well. You can't just quantify chin for chin. Look at Margo though. Guy has thin legs, thin structure, long neck but has a chin of titanium. Now that's something that's clearly evident.

Mike Tyson was stopped multiple times, so what? Surely not by one punch but when was he ever a starving kid. He was counted out at least once. But he was hit with a truckload of punches. He clearly is incredibly durable. He always moves into the force of these punches like Pac. I wouldn't assert that Holyfield or Ali necessarily had a better chin (The case could be made, my point is it is closer than many casuals suggest). Hell what makes people so convinced about Chuvalo's chin. I saw Tyson take huge shots moving forward. Guys like Chuvalo that shell up and don't take anything they can't see get overrated for their durability. I saw Bonavena make Chuvalo touch the canvas either way. Some fighters risk far more for victory.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #42
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
Not really fair to say he's been hit like SSM hit Floyd...I don't disagree that Manny has shown the durability of his chin, but the shot Floyd took from SSM, really both of them, I don't know that Manny eats them. Matter of fact JMM hit Manny with almost the same shot in the 3rd, and dropped Manny, that looping overhandish right.
Yeah, except Manny was crossing his legs to get out of the way so he didn't have his body under him. He had no base when he took that punch.

Let's be honest here. None of the Mayweathers really have had a great chin. Floyd seems to have the best one in the family, that's for sure. He also has the best defense in the family...

Also a final reminder. Gene Fullmer was KOed by one punch against SRR. Yes, we're talking Robinson here but Fullmer is still one of the toughest, more durable guys in the game. Getting sparked by one punch isn't a chin death sentence. My point is Fullmer has a near damn 9-10 in this department and even he was sparked. It can happen.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Excellent point about moving into the force of punches - something Pacquiao's always been guilty of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
Not really fair to say he's been hit like SSM hit Floyd...I don't disagree that Manny has shown the durability of his chin, but the shot Floyd took from SSM, really both of them, I don't know that Manny eats them. Matter of fact JMM hit Manny with almost the same shot in the 3rd, and dropped Manny, that looping overhandish right.
Sure, he's not been hit with exact same overhand right in the manner that Mosley threw against Mayweather, but he has been hit with equally dangerous punches throughout his entire US career. I say equally as dangerous because, as PetethePrince above has alluded to, Pacquiao's been a regular victim of shots in the midst of exchanges - often incurred whilst jumping in, being off balance, not seeing them, etc. Those are the shots you're more likely to be hurt from. And again, it's remarkable how he's lasted this long without being put to the canvas. Mayweather has never come close to taking the same risks and being on the end of the same type of punches. He sees the shots better and, despite the low number of times he's been hit clearly, he's still been visibly hurt in quite a few instances. Which leads me to believe one of the few *****s in his armour -- and he hasn't got many -- is his chin. No doubt Mayweather fans are gonna' throw a bitch-fit when reading that, but honestly, his punch resistence would probably be at the bottom of the list when looking at his most valuable qualities.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Rate Pacquiao's chin on a scale of 1 to 10. I don't want to hear anything about 'early in his career', or shit about him being malnourished. Your chin is your chin. Rate it honestly based on the evidence. All knockdowns are below.

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

I'd rate it about a 7. Good, but far from Iron.
Gee, I'm real bored today, I guess I could make a thread talking about poochiao again since I act like I hate him but all I really do is blow him
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #45
GOW7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

EPO Manny: 9/10
Ordinary Manny: 6.5/10
GOW7 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum