Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488
Default ✩✩✩Joe Calzaghe's world famous WBO ducktionary - a career of ducking examined✩✩✩

Was it Johnson's workrate or his power that caused Calzaghe to duck him?

Now obviously these two champs never squared off in the ring and the record does show it was mainly Joe's fault this didn't happen, apparently the fight fell through 3 times and ofcourse the excuse that get's banded about is 'hand injuries' but no doubt there was something in the road warrior that worried Joe it could have been the fact he had a very high workrate constantly throwing punches or it could also have been that he KO'd Roy Jones cold a fighter who Joe himself had avoided shamelessly while he was in his prime as summarised by this gem of a quote;

Quote:
"I'm not chasing after Roy Jones. Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter and I don't want tough fights, I just want big money."

Now ofcourse Johnson was no prime Jones but no doubt a win over Johnson would have been one of Joe's best at 168lb, but the strange thing is Calzaghe didn't just duck Johnson apparently he didn't want any part of Clinton Woods either this despite being offered one of his highest pay days.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But back to question at hand, do you think it was Johnsons workrate or power that caused Calzaghe to avoid him?

Last edited by Arcane; 02-12-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Arcane is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272
Default Re: Was it Johnson's workrate or his power that caused Calzaghe to duck him?

Prime Kessler is a tougher fight than Glen Johnson.

Also Jeff Lacey appeared on paper to be a tougher fight than glen johnson.

So i don't see why he'd duck johnson and fight these too.

Also bare in mind Calzaghe style is all wrong for Johnson. A fighter that throws 100+ punches to a fighter with a shell defence. Not to mention calzaghe solid whiskers. I don't see how Johnson wins this.

Be a fun fight though
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100
Default Re: Was it Johnson's workrate or his power that caused Calzaghe to duck him?

Both , plus his chin. Glen wouldn't flinch at them pitter patter shots and would walk Joe down till he had him out for the 10 count.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It may of been seeing Johnson in life and death struggles with Clinton Woods that had Calzaghe shitting him sen.
KCD is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

When there were first talks about Calzaghe fighting Johnson, Johnson went on a ridiculous losing streak that destroyed any viability of the fight happening - losing to Ottke, Vanderpool, Branco and Sheika.

When they were supposed to fight the second time Calzaghe got injured in training and got distracted by his divorce. He asked Johnson to rearrange the fight for the next year but Johnson publically stated that he wanted nothing more to do with Calzaghe and instead went to fight Roy Jones Jr.

The third time they were supposed to fight all Johnson had to do was get past Clinton Woods. Calzaghe was backing him to do it and the fight was pretty much sealed, but Johnson failed. He lost to Woods in their third fight and the potential fight against Calzaghe fell through.

The fourth time a fight was discussed was in 2008 when Calzaghe was looking to retire. Calzaghe had just beaten Jones, and Johnson and Tarver both called him out, but neither man was able to bring enough to the table to convince Calzaghe not to retire.

In two of the four cases the fight didn't happen because Johnson slipped up in ring, in one of the cases it didn't happen because Calzaghe got injured and had personal problems while Johnson wanted Jones instead, and in the final case it didn't happen because Calzaghe was retiring and Johnson couldn't offer enough incentive to change his mind.

None of that can be claimed as a duck.

As for Clinton Woods' offering £1million for a fight in 2006, that would be after Hobson - Woods' promoter - had taken Hatton from W arren - Calzaghe's promoter - and they failed to put asside their differances to get make the fight happen. Hobson and W arren were sniping at each other through the press constantly at that time, and I'm not sure they ever discussed terms seriously.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Delete.

Can't post article from the Scene. It was basically Frank Warran claiming Joe would always make excuses to pull out of fights, and it eventually came to a point where Frank had to pay opponents money up-front just incase Joe wouldn't turn up. Showtime called him 'No Show Joe'. Apparently, he wanted to cancel the Lacy fight, too. Frank and Joe's dad, Enzo, had to convince him to go ahead with it.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Delete. Can't post article from the Scene. It was basically Frank Warran claiming Joe would always make excuses to pull out of fights, and it eventually came to a point where Frank had to pay opponents money up-front just incase Joe wouldn't turn up. Apparently, he wanted to cancel the Lacy fight, too. Frank and Joe's dad, Enzo, had to convince him to go ahead with it.
So, does the opinion of a bitter W arren who held a grudge against Calzaghe for deserting him carry much weight? Considering the fact that, the last time I check, W arren was considered an untrustworthy scumbag I'm not sure how much how much faith I'd put in his words.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
So, does the opinion of a bitter W arren who held a grudge against Calzaghe for deserting him carry much weight? Considering the fact that, the last time I check, W arren was considered an untrustworthy scumbag I'm not sure how much how much faith I'd put in his words.
Not at all. But, considering I'm a Zaggy hater, I choose to ignore that.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

After the Hopkins loss, Johnson's phenominal record at 168 of 4 victories and 6 defeats had everyone on the run at super-middleweight.

wins - owoh, zimmerman, renteria, troy watson,

losses - sosa, kiwanuka, ottke, vanderpool, sheika, branco

You can't blame Calzaghe for ducking this monster, it was a relief for everybody at the weight when Johnson moved up to face the lesser competition at 175.
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
After the Hopkins loss, Johnson phenominal record at 168 of 4 victories and 6 defeats had everyone on the run at super-middleweight.

wins - owoh, zimmerman, renteria, troy watson,

losses - sosa, kiwanuka, ottke, vanderpool, sheika, branco

You can't blame Calzaghe for ducking this monster, it was a relief for everybody at the weight when Johnson moved up to face the lesser competition at 175.
bailey, i was waiting for you to bite
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Delete.

Can't post article from the Scene. It was basically Frank Warran claiming Joe would always make excuses to pull out of fights, and it eventually came to a point where Frank had to pay opponents money up-front just incase Joe wouldn't turn up. Showtime called him 'No Show Joe'. Apparently, he wanted to cancel the Lacy fight, too. Frank and Joe's dad, Enzo, had to convince him to go ahead with it.
Just the tip of the iceberg it seems.

Check out these quotes from his former promoter, now obviously said former promoter is a bit shady himself but this really is something else and gives you an insight into the kind of ducking Joe was undertaking.

Quote:
He would pull out of fights at short notice for reasons he felt were valid. But it left me to sort out the mess with opponents furious and TV execs pulling their hair out.
Once I had to pay opponents cash up front before they would sign a contract because they were afraid of going through weeks of training camps for nothing if he pulled out.
I lost $100,000 to Glen Johnson when Joe pulled out of a world-title fight with him for a second time. This the same Johnson who KO’d Jones four years ago

So the ducking of Johnson is pretty much confirmed

Quote:
recall that when I vetoed a fight with Freeman Barr, a dreadful mediocre No 1 mandatory challenger who meant nothing, Joe said that he wanted to face him

No surprise he was facing the Pudwills and Salems of the world.

Quote:
When the WBO ordered Calzaghe to face Mario Veit for a second time — having already knocked him out in the first round — I had a major problem because not one television station in the UK wanted the fight.........
Yet that fight, like others, was nearly shelved.
He insisted a couple of weeks beforehand he was injured and couldn’t fight.
Both his dad Enzo and I persuaded him in the end to step through the ropes, something I’ve never done with a boxer before or since.

The infamous Veit rematch almost never happened because of the phantom hand injury

There's actually more proof of Joe's ducking but I think everyone get's the point
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

Wish I banged Katie K man.
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Serge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post

apparently he didn't want any part of Clinton Woods either this despite being offered one of his highest pay days.
Nice trolling. lol

I wonder why Calzaghe is on the blower here? lol. Because he didn't want any part of Woods I guess. lol. ''He's got to get in the que'' lol

12:08 mark

BORKED

Yet the International Boxing Federation light-heavyweight champion stands on the brink of a multi-million pound prize fight with Joe Calzaghe in front of 50,000 fans at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff later this year.

The fight will happen if Woods beats former world light-heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver in the American's home town, Tampa, on Saturday. Fight Academy, Woods' promoters, and Calzaghe's Sports Network, agree the all-British fight will be on if Calzaghe defeats Bernard Hopkins in their light-heavyweight bout in Las Vegas on April 19.

Dennis Hobson, who runs the Fight Academy stable in Sheffield, disclosed yesterday that he had been in negotiation with Calzaghe's promoter, Frank ******, three times, with both camps keen on an all-British contest. "We have made verbal agreements to bring Clinton and Joe together. Then, as we've been on the point of doing it, other things have emerged, world title fights for Clinton, unification fights for Joe. But it will happen down the line." ****** concurred: "It is a natural fight for Britain. If Woods comes through against Tarver - and that's a really tricky fight for him - I think he will capture the imagination of a lot of American fans and it would make a lot of sense for him to fight Joe. British fans love domestic showdowns."

There appears to be a natural rivalry between you and super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe developing. Do you foresee this fight happening in the next 12 months?

Clinton Woods: ''If the promoters can stop squabbling between themselves there's no reason why it can't happen. I know if you asked me and Calzaghe, we'd both say the same thing: ''We'd love the fight to happen'. But it's not us who lay the money out and it's not us who pay the wages. It's really down to our promoters and if they can't come to an understanding then it's not going to happen.''

Footage backing that up.

BORKED

Woods has even said the only reason the fight never happened was because the promoters kept squabbling.
Serge is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Now obviously these two champs never squared off in the ring and the record does show it was mainly Joe's fault this didn't happen, apparently the fight fell through 3 times and ofcourse the excuse that get's banded about is 'hand injuries' but no doubt there was something in the road warrior that worried Joe it could have been the fact he had a very high workrate constantly throwing punches or it could also have been that he KO'd Roy Jones cold a fighter who Joe himself had avoided shamelessly while he was in his prime as summarised by this gem of a quote;

Now ofcourse Johnson was no prime Jones but no doubt a win over Johnson would have been one of Joe's best at 168lb, but the strange thing is Calzaghe didn't just duck Johnson apparently he didn't want any part of Clinton Woods either this despite being offered one of his highest pay days.

But back to question at hand, do you think it was Johnsons workrate or power that caused Calzaghe to avoid him?
The first attempt to make the fight was back in 04 when Calzaghe was set to fight Johnson for his lhw ibf belt but then pulled out twice claiming to have back pain

The last attempt was in 06 when Calzaghe's offer to Menfredo was rejected, so HBO said they would accept Johnson. About a week before the fight Calzaghe pulled out again claiming to have a bad hand

I think the Johnson-Dawson I fight showed that stylewise Johnson was all wrong for him. Calzaghe would of ended up getting in heavy exchanges with a naturally bigger opponent who had the power to hurt him.
general zod is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post

Woods has even said the only reason the fight never happened was because the promoters kept squabbling.
Dennis Hobson said during the not your average joe documentary that he was willing to work with ******. He had made an offer to Calzaghe earlier that year for the fight. It was ****** and Calzaghe who were not interested. They obviously thought Sakio Bika was a better opponent

Last edited by general zod; 01-21-2013 at 04:07 PM.
general zod is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum