Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #256
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,135
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Was it around 98 when Lou Del Valle first exposed the glaring punch resistance weaknesses?

You do know that Devalle was al long time sparring partner of Jones ..Its funny but how did that fight turn out in the end ?
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #257
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
I'd say its among the best, just below Berbick's "masterclass" over Ali.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #258
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
You do know that Devalle was al long time sparring partner of Jones ..Its funny but how did that fight turn out in the end ?
You mean Jones got his poor punch resistance exposed by a sparring partner? That kinda makes sense, Del Valle had probably exposed Roy's chin in training before and had the confidence to expose his deficiency in a genuine professional match up.
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #259
The Bane
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 452
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Such a great fight, Calzaghe making Roy look stupid and taunting him. Roy got burnt out that night by the Welsh dragon.
The Bane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #260
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
Such a great fight, Calzaghe making Roy look stupid and taunting him. Roy got burnt out that night by the Welsh dragon.
Are you trolling or being serious, because you didn't seem to be yesterday on the other thread.

A great fight? How?

Roy got burnt?

Roy was DOMINATED and knocked COLD, FOUR YEARS EARLIER by Johnson.

Roy was 9 weeks from being 40.

Joe had dismissed him as a threat TWICE before the fight.

All the above are cold hard facts.

The fight was a joke!
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #261
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
Such a great fight, Calzaghe making Roy look stupid and taunting him. Roy got burnt out that night by the Welsh dragon.
Was definitely a severely underated performance, I think the reason that so many respected figures in the boxing fraternity predicted Jones would win was because

- Joe was 36 himself and constantly saying how is motivation to carry on fighting / training had gone - Big danger warning sign

- Joe's severe hand troubles had seen him forced to adapt his style from powerfull slugger into fragile handed boxer

- Experts knew that despite Jones poor chin, Calzaghe's brittle hands ment that there was no chance Calzaghe would knock Jones out

- Experts knew that this would be purely a match up of boxing skills with the fighter with greater talent, adaptability, and ring IQ coming out on top

- they also knew that Jones was now fully adapted back down to the weight and that this was only Calzaghe's 2nd fight at 175

- Experts also realised that Calzaghe was having to deal with all the disadvantages that come with fighting on foreign soil




Also for Joe to be brutally knocked down in the 1st round, it really does add to the performance when you can overcome all these obstacles and then put on such an outstanding exhabition of boxing.
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #262
The Bane
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 452
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Are you trolling or being serious, because you didn't seem to be yesterday on the other thread.

A great fight? How?

Roy got burnt?

Roy was DOMINATED and knocked COLD, FOUR YEARS EARLIER by Johnson.

Roy was 9 weeks from being 40.

Joe had dismissed him as a threat TWICE before the fight.

All the above are cold hard facts.

The fight was a joke!
OK, Joe wasn't exactly in his prime either, he was having hand problems.... You say Calzaghe dismissed Jones? Then why did Jones avoid Calzaghe and move up to heavyweight and fight Ruiz? Why are you claiming what you write are cold hard facts, when in reality it is purely your opinion?

It really doesn't matter when they fought, nobody could knock out Joe and nobody could handle Joe's insane workrate. At any point when the fight happens Joe would have walked down Jones and landed shot after shot at different angles and won on a UD. Yes, Calzaghe lacked power but this is boxing not MMA. Joe was a clever guy who did what he had to win which was throw 100+ punches a round and outland and frustrate the hell out of his opponent's. Do you honestly think Jones would KO Joe, theres not a bats chance in hell. Jones would have met his match and lost a decision, end off. Yes this is my opinion and it is not a fact as the fight did not take place when both fighters were in their prime.
The Bane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #263
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,135
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
You mean Jones got his poor punch resistance exposed by a sparring partner? That kinda makes sense, Del Valle had probably exposed Roy's chin in training before and had the confidence to expose his deficiency in a genuine professional match up.

Again how did the fight turn out after the KD ?Funny I see no mention of that .
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #264
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
OK, Joe wasn't exactly in his prime either, he was having hand problems.... You say Calzaghe dismissed Jones? Then why did Jones avoid Calzaghe and move up to heavyweight and fight Ruiz? Why are you claiming what you write are cold hard facts, when in reality it is purely your opinion?

It really doesn't matter when they fought, nobody could knock out Joe and nobody could handle Joe's insane workrate. At any point when the fight happens Joe would have walked down Jones and landed shot after shot at different angles and won on a UD. Yes, Calzaghe lacked power but this is boxing not MMA. Joe was a clever guy who did what he had to win which was throw 100+ punches a round and outland and frustrate the hell out of his opponent's. Do you honestly think Jones would KO Joe, theres not a bats chance in hell. Jones would have met his match and lost a decision, end off. Yes this is my opinion and it is not a fact as the fight did not take place when both fighters were in their prime.
You really can't answer that question yourself? Jones didn't "avoid" anyone by moving up and fighting a 230 lb HW champ, he was chasing history, and cementing his legacy as an ATG.

And Joe Calzaghe throwing 100 punches a round would be his undoing against Prime Jones... He would take too much punishment.. styles make fights, Prime Roy is all wrong for Joe.. Roy was faster, with more power.. I really feel like prime Roy was on another level than Joe, who is a great fighter, but he is not as good as Prime Jones, just a good old eye test and common sense should be all you need.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #265
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Again how did the fight turn out after the KD ?Funny I see no mention of that .

Getting knocked down and recovering to win the fight is only a good thing if you are Calzaghe.

Lou DelVaulle >>>2008 Roy Jones
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #266
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,135
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
OK, Joe wasn't exactly in his prime either, he was having hand problems.... You say Calzaghe dismissed Jones? Then why did Jones avoid Calzaghe and move up to heavyweight and fight Ruiz? Why are you claiming what you write are cold hard facts, when in reality it is purely your opinion?

It really doesn't matter when they fought, nobody could knock out Joe and nobody could handle Joe's insane workrate. At any point when the fight happens Joe would have walked down Jones and landed shot after shot at different angles and won on a UD. Yes, Calzaghe lacked power but this is boxing not MMA. Joe was a clever guy who did what he had to win which was throw 100+ punches a round and outland and frustrate the hell out of his opponent's. Do you honestly think Jones would KO Joe, theres not a bats chance in hell. Jones would have met his match and lost a decision, end off. Yes this is my opinion and it is not a fact as the fight did not take place when both fighters were in their prime.

Jones wold have met is match with Joe ? Club fighters put Joe on the deck , a prime Jones beats the snot out of him .An old shot Jones managed to drop a peak Joe yet a young one couldn't .There is a reason why Joe waited for RJJ to lose a few steps before he grew a set and actually got in the ring with him!


He wanted nothing to do with Roy when he was atop of his game that's why he waited and waited ...And this is not opinion that is fact !
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #267
conraddobler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 1847
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Senchenko's recent gorgeous, curly-cued masterpiece versus prime Ricky Hatton was a glorious display of boxing skills against a fighter at the peak of his skills.
conraddobler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #268
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

bailey the other day actually used Roy being ahead on one score card before being put to sleep by Lebedev as to validate Joe's victory over Roy..Talk about pathetic.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #269
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Was definitely a severely underated performance, I think the reason that so many respected figures in the boxing fraternity predicted Jones would win was because

- Joe was 36 himself and constantly saying how is motivation to carry on fighting / training had gone - Big danger warning sign

- Joe's severe hand troubles had seen him forced to adapt his style from powerfull slugger into fragile handed boxer

- Experts knew that despite Jones poor chin, Calzaghe's brittle hands ment that there was no chance Calzaghe would knock Jones out

- Experts knew that this would be purely a match up of boxing skills with the fighter with greater talent, adaptability, and ring IQ coming out on top

- they also knew that Jones was now fully adapted back down to the weight and that this was only Calzaghe's 2nd fight at 175

- Experts also realised that Calzaghe was having to deal with all the disadvantages that come with fighting on foreign soil




Also for Joe to be brutally knocked down in the 1st round, it really does add to the performance when you can overcome all these obstacles and then put on such an outstanding exhabition of boxing.



scintillating post Guru
Beouche is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #270
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

A little stats I just added up.. At work bored as hell..

At the time when Joe and Roy fought

Roy Jones Age 39

weight progression 154-160-168-175-HW-175

aprrox rounds fought 364

Joe Calzaghe Age 36

weight progression 168-175

aprrox rounds fought 260

Not only was Joe 3 years younger, but he had fought way less rounds and his weight progression only covered 2 weight classes.. Roy was older, his body clearly had way more miles on it... He had fought nearly 100 more rounds as well...

Joe was by far the fresher fighter, and when you look at those numbers, more than the 3 years age difference seperated them... Roy was shot to bits, not on an elite level anymore.. Anyone that argues that needs to take a pill, and come back to reality... Acting as if Joe was the faded one is delusional at best.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013