boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #271
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
A little stats I just added up.. At work bored as hell..

At the time when Joe and Roy fought

Roy Jones Age 39

weight progression 154-160-168-175-HW-175

aprrox rounds fought 364

Joe Calzaghe Age 36

weight progression 168-175

aprrox rounds fought 260

Not only was Joe 3 years younger, but he had fought way less rounds and his weight progression only covered 2 weight classes.. Roy was older, his body clearly had way more miles on it... He had fought nearly 100 more rounds as well...

Joe was by far the fresher fighter, and when you look at those numbers, more than the 3 years age difference seperated them... Roy was shot to bits, not on an elite level anymore.. Anyone that argues that needs to take a pill, and come back to reality.
this post has way too many facts to be understood on these boards. here's joe getting his ass kicked in the amateurs. you can't pick and choose who you fight there.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
kmac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #272
Smashgar
McMustache Nuthugger
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 356

Quote:
"My mum, who was always too afraid to watch me fight, would be annoyed if I went back in the ring but I'm more concerned about my youngest son Connor.
"He came into my dressing room before the Roy Jones fight crying his heart out because he saw me get knocked down against Bernard Hopkins a couple of months earlier.
"He had also spent the Jones build-up watching footage of Jones' glory years, when he was at his peak, on You Tube.
"Connor was sobbing 'dad, he is amazing' and I tried to reassure him 'don't worry son, Jones isn't that good anymore.'
This really says all anyone needs to know about that fight, why Joe took it, and how it came out.
Smashgar is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #273
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post

This really says all anyone needs to know about that fight, why Joe took it, and how it came out.

Especially when it is so consistant with other statements he public about Jones being past it..
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #274
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

People Act like Calzaghe was 25 years old fighting a 39 year old jones LOL he was 37 years old. he was no spring chicken himself and already declining himself.

Joe "The Gospel" Calzaghe The Superior White Athlete
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #275
skier47
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Was Joe Calzaghe's masterclass versus Roy Jones the most underated boxing performance of the past 30 years. If you remember correctly, Roy had now adapted his body back to 175 and was back on a good winning streak, dismantling Trinidad who had destroyed Mayorga and William Joppy as he cruised through the weight divisions. The fight was only Calzaghe's 2nd at the weight and he travelled to america despite the likes of Hopkins, Lennox Lewis, Tarver, and Johnson all predicting that Jones would beat him. What made the performance even more amazing imo was that Calzaghe recovered from a brutal illegal forearm in the 1st round, only to get up and completely bamboozle Jones with superb lateral movement and delicious 4 and 5 piece combinations throughout. What makes the win even better in my eyes is that after the fight, Roy then went on to produce a clinical exhibition V Jeff Lacy and then gave his own virtuoso masterclass versus Glen Johnson conqueror Omar Sheika proving that he still had plenty left in the tank. Your thoughts please?

It was an awesome performance by Joe. He showed he had the same speed and reflexes of Roy Jones Jr. but far better overall boxing skills and fundamentals. Joe was 37, Roy 39 so the whole young vs. old warrior was total bull. Joe had fragile hands when they fought and Roy wasn't quite the athlete he used to be. Both guys were older fighters but Joe proved who was the better man, fighter and warrior when Roy finally had the guts to face Joe.
Time and sensible boxing historians who now and in the future will not all be U.S. based will rate the undefeated fighter Joe Calzaghe as a top 10 all-time great fighter. Greats like Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Chris Eubank freely acknowledge Joe as one of the greatest boxers they have ever seen. Joe Calzaghe is an all-time great fighter along the lines of Sugar Ray Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson and should be recognized as such by a this website as such. Unfortunately, there a a lot of anti-white posters on this excellent boxing site who love to disparage the credentials of great caucasian fighters like Joe Calzaghe, Vitali and Wlad Klitschko, etc. and get away with their racial hatred. How many times have we all seen the vile racist term "white boy" levelled against a caucasian adult male fighter and no consequences follow. Racism sucks regardless of the target. Let's kick off all the racist scum who post on this site regardless of race.
skier47 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #276
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

"My mum, who was always too afraid to watch me fight, would be annoyed if I went back in the ring but I'm more concerned about my youngest son Connor.
"He came into my dressing room before the Roy Jones fight crying his heart out because he saw me get knocked down against Bernard Hopkins a couple of months earlier.
"He had also spent the Jones build-up watching footage of Jones' glory years, when he was at his peak, on You Tube.
"Connor was sobbing 'dad, he is amazing' and I tried to reassure him 'don't worry son, Jones isn't that good anymore.'

So a father trying desperately to reassure his sobbing little boy is suddenly proof that Joe knew Jones was shot

Beouche is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #277
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

The Bane,

Quote:
OK, Joe wasn't exactly in his prime either, he was having hand problems.... You say Calzaghe dismissed Jones? Then why did Jones avoid Calzaghe and move up to heavyweight and fight Ruiz? Why are you claiming what you write are cold hard facts, when in reality it is purely your opinion?
I know Joe wasn't prime either. Roy didn't avoid Joe in 2002, he simply had a much better offer.

What I'm saying regarding Joe, is that he dismissed Roy as a challenge in 2007 and 2008.

These are the full quotes.

In 2007, "Roy Jones was a great fighter, but now he's finished. He's not the same as he once was, and a fight between us at this stage, would now be POINTLESS!"

In 2008, "Roy's not great anymore, and I'd be disappointed if he was to be my last fight."

What do you mean they're just my opinions?

Those quotes are genuine.

One's from his book, and the other one's from a Setanta sports interview.

He was 9 weeks from his 40th birthday. That's a fact.

He'd been dominated and knocked out more than 4 years previously by Glen Johnson. That's a fact.

Taking all of the above into consideration, how can it be classed as anything great?

Quote:
It really doesn't matter when they fought, nobody could knock out Joe and nobody could handle Joe's insane workrate. At any point when the fight happens Joe would have walked down Jones and landed shot after shot at different angles and won on a UD. Yes, Calzaghe lacked power but this is boxing not MMA. Joe was a clever guy who did what he had to win which was throw 100+ punches a round and outland and frustrate the hell out of his opponent's. Do you honestly think Jones would KO Joe, theres not a bats chance in hell. Jones would have met his match and lost a decision, end off. Yes this is my opinion and it is not a fact as the fight did not take place when both fighters were in their prime.
Now we're getting to opinions.

You're making a huge assumption here, that he'd have fought Roy in his prime.

History shows us that he stayed away, and we've got quotes of him saying he wasn't chasing him, he didn't want tough fights, and he knew his capabilities.

He had to be talked into not pulling out of he Lacy fight, yet he'd have walked Joe down?

He'd had to have gotten in the ring to start with.

Roy's peak was probably 1994/95, when he was 25/26.

How does Joe walk down a 26 year old Roy Jones?

Joe was a great fighter, but he's always been relatively easy to hit.

I've seen both careers and watched nearly all of their fights. There's nothing that suggests that any version of Joe could have beaten Roy.

He would have been too open and easy to hit in my opinion.

A guy that has problems with Reid and Kessler, simply isn't good enough to keep a peak Roy at bay.

I respect your opinion though.

Last edited by Loudon; 01-22-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #278
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
A little stats I just added up.. At work bored as hell..

At the time when Joe and Roy fought

Roy Jones Age 39

weight progression 154-160-168-175-HW-175

aprrox rounds fought 364

Joe Calzaghe Age 36

weight progression 168-175

aprrox rounds fought 260

Not only was Joe 3 years younger, but he had fought way less rounds and his weight progression only covered 2 weight classes.. Roy was older, his body clearly had way more miles on it... He had fought nearly 100 more rounds as well...

Joe was by far the fresher fighter, and when you look at those numbers, more than the 3 years age difference seperated them... Roy was shot to bits, not on an elite level anymore.. Anyone that argues that needs to take a pill, and come back to reality... Acting as if Joe was the faded one is delusional at best.
No intelligent person can argue against this.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #279
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276

Masterclasses do not include this:

Smokin' Joe is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #280
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Masterclasses do not include this:

illegal forearms?
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #281
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit

Couldn't believe what I was watching.For years I had been told of this amazing phenom that was practically invincible,untouchable,even.The long reigning P4P king that barely broke a sweat in the ring and treated world class fighters as if they were mere sparring partners.I bought into the hype and,quite frankly,was quite worried for Calzaghe's health.

Then I watched Calzaghe take apart this man with so much ease that I began to think that this guy wasn't this great force that he had been built up as.Here he was,being treated like a cheap,second-rate ***** and not even being able to put up a reasonably competitive effort.

Fortunately,I wised up and learned that Roy Jones was every bit as great as they had built up to be,but that he was simply in there with a man that simply did everything better.A man that would have treated the same if they had fought a 100 times.Super Joe Calzaghe was just that damn good.

Never mind,yanks.Better luck next time.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #282
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post

So a father trying desperately to reassure his sobbing little boy is suddenly proof that Joe knew Jones was shot

Do you not see the pattern in what Joe said to "comfort" his scared son and what he said to the public about Roy no longer being great?

Pull your head out of your ass.. Roy was beyond shot.. And I can break down the great "comeback" that made Joe change his mind about Roy being shot , but yet still comfort his son with nearly the same statements he made before the "comeback"
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #283
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
illegal forearms?
No.. Actually not..

Roy Jones did not intentionally hit Joe Calzaghe with a forearm.. Re watch, Joe actually moved his head into the wrist and out of the way of where Roy was anticipating where his head would be... That was a result of Roy's faded reflexes.

I always thought Joe would have been in deep **** had Roy hit him clean with the end of his glove, would have carried more power, simple punch physics.. More power is generated at the end of the fist when a boxer throws a punch than that of his wrist..

Joe dodged a bullet, Roy didn't have all his power in his wrist, but he still went down...

Prime Jones would have had the reflexes to time Joe moving his head down, would have hit him clean.. Would certainly of pounced on him, would not have been worried about lasting 12 rounds...

Prime Roy Jones has every stylistic advantage over any Joe Calzaghe that it isn't even funny... Styles make fights, Prime Roy is all wrong for Joe, Calzahge knew this, and his managers.

Shot Roy wanted a 2 fight contract with Joe, win or lose, one in America one in Wales. That really says a lot about what Roy wanted..

Thankfully Joe didn't want to make a circus, and just retired on beating shot Roy, and making a good check. And instead of finish shot Roy, he let him see 12 rounds.. I admire him for that.

Last edited by Mind Reader; 01-22-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #284
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

all this fight proved was Prime RJJ KO 1 Calzaghe....If Prime Roy dropped Joe like that he'd finish the job once Joe got up.
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #285
MoJoGoodie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

PRIME RJJ would beat the shyt out of Calslappy
MoJoGoodie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum