McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank versus Andre Ward

i've always had a massive soft spot for eubank. he's one of the fighters that really got me into boxing. always loved his style and he was an absolutely brilliant counter puncher.

that being said, ward out-thinks him, out-times him and roughs him up inside with uppercuts while setting the exact pace he wants, never letting eubank get into his own rhythm. eubank may catch him early for a flash knockdown but i see ward taking this 9-3/8-4
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Ward by clear decision in a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE fight.

I guess I'd give Eubank a puncher's chance, but overall Ward is just a better technician with a better skill set, and a much higher ring IQ.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 150

Ward by wide dec.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh my, my, my....Once again Eubank is getting sold short! Eubank controls this fight, and takes an 8-4 decision.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Andre Ward by UD.
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
sas6789
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy the hat View Post
Andre Ward by UD.
Agreed
sas6789 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Harder than one might think. Ward in a 7-5 or 8-4 type decision.
After some consideration...it's more like this...Not a wide decision.
Eubank was very strong, and very effective with his style. Ward would have problems due to Eubank's strength and his ability to effectively fight inside and outside. Eubank is more problematic than anyone Ward has faced thus far...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Both immensely good ring generals. Who makes who lead more? Eubank had flashier shots, but Ward is a lot more consistent and cleaner up-close. Ward via narrow decision
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Eubank by late KO.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

Ward by decision
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Tough fight to call imo.

You didn't have to be that good to trouble a less than 90-100 percent Eubank, but Ward's the kind of methodical technician Eubank could do well against best on best from what i've seen of him so far.

He's not fast or vicious with his punches, doesn't hit hard and is accurate but not overwhelmingly so with his shots.

I don't think he's as good a jabber, or punchpicker as Eubank at his best, though he doesn't have fights where those sort of things all drop of noticeably to varying degrees like Eubank routinely had...has a better average.Defence about equal, Eubank more talented with his head slips and radar, but less consistent and responsible.

Ward fights a bit more safety-first than usual and doesn't try and step in with those right hands and linger for exchanges or counters too much...he could well win.He's not quick or sharp enough for that sort of roughousing stuff against a guy who can counter with combinations or single shots very quickly like Eubank could, and Eubank certainly has a better countering arsenal up close.His short uppercuts were brutal punches.

Eubank would need to avoid letting Ward pull him around the ring, so whoever gets the other to consistently lead might well be who would win.a straight up fencing fight mostly held at ring-centre ? i edge to Eubank.

Ward is a fine fighter and one of the better ones around, but i don't see him as someone who is beyond this kind of level.He has the look of a prime lindell Holmes about him at 168.The compact physicality, tidy textbookness and being good at most things without much flashiness.Better than the older Holmes most are familiar with and probably more durable, but i'm not sure he's the kind of fighter that would give Eubank a boxing lesson like some of you guys seem to think.

imo The Watson that took on Eubank at 168 was a better fighter than Ward has shown so far.Sharper more vicious offence especially, Ward's right hand is like an old woman's in comparison. great pace and workrate, very solid defence.

Let's see Ward dismantle a good quick stylist or boxer-puncher or two before the wide decision calls come out.Kessler looked like shit after the Calzaghe fight and Froch as much as i like him as a more than the sum of the parts fighter, is glacial slow and poorly skilled.One thing to look the stylist against them and another against someone who can really box when he's on his game and won't have a static head just there to be hit.

All this said, i wouldn't be surprised if Eubank stinks the place out and loses by about 4 points either.
lora is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Incidentally while i was typing that up i was reviewing the Froch vs Ward and Eubank vs Wharton fights just to remind myself of some things.

The difference in quality of punching from Froch and Wharton was actually quite comical at times.Wharton was firing of well thrown not particularly telegpraphed leads with both hands and delivering varied 3 punch combinations with ease...ending with short uppercuts off the lead hand, double left hooks to body and head etc

and missing much of them

Froch on the other hand could barely string together a combination or a quality punch you couldn't see coming from a mile away.And he was even slower!

The difference in the level of offensive output each fighter had to deal with in those wins was considerable.Not that i think the two fights in themselves give a great indication of how a fight between them would go(eubank and ward OR froch and Warton), but it was funny to watch.
lora is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If Ward fought southpaw, Eubank would have a lot more problems.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Ward embodies the technicial skill of Watson that troubled Eubank and pressure of Watson/Collins that took him out of his comfort zone. He would outbox Eubank but I'm not sold on Ward's chin, I give Eubank a chance of come from behind KO, otherwise a Ward decision of 8-4 or wider
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum