Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #61
IceJohnScully
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chad Dawson is making a big mistake...again!

One day I put a photo of him, myself and his strength coach on facebook during training camp. When he sent his brother in my room (12 feet from where they were in the living room) to tel me that "Chad said not to put any pictures up on my facebook" because he didnt want our opponent to know what we were up to I knew our relationship was doomed...1, Because he sent his brother over for him like he was the CEO of a major company sending his assistant to talk to one of the guys in the mailroom and 2. because if he thought that his opponent seeing a photo of him in the gym before the fight would be cause for alarm then there was a mental issue going on that was beyond my abilities/desire to fix for him...as a guy at "his high level" as he said after the Ward fight, You would think that something as insignificant as a picture of us in the gym training wouldnt be something to alarm him...like our opponent didnt know we'd actually go to a gym to get ready for the fight?
IceJohnScully is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #62
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceJohnScully View Post
One day I put a photo of him, myself and his strength coach on facebook during training camp. When he sent his brother in my room (12 feet from where they were in the living room) to tel me that "Chad said not to put any pictures up on my facebook" because he didnt want our opponent to know what we were up to I knew our relationship was doomed...1, Because he sent his brother over for him like he was the CEO of a major company sending his assistant to talk to one of the guys in the mailroom and 2. because if he thought that his opponent seeing a photo of him in the gym before the fight would be cause for alarm then there was a mental issue going on that was beyond my abilities/desire to fix for him...as a guy at "his high level" as he said after the Ward fight, You would think that something as insignificant as a picture of us in the gym training wouldnt be something to alarm him...like our opponent didnt know we'd actually go to a gym to get ready for the fight?
it is a mental tick so to speak. No different than the type of girlfriend or boyfriend that cant even pick up the phone or let alone do a face to face that things are not working out, so they just go silent until someone has to "get the hint" or do it with the old text or note
Boxing is a business and Chad doing stuff like is business....just not business like or very professional to not be able to tell someone this who is seemed to spend alot of time with and had to have grown close in some sense...maybe bad chad doesnt really like to be the bad guy when giving bad news...
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #63
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
I suspect you knew before the fight that any ability you have as a trainer was going to fall short of getting Chad a victory John.You 're enough of a realist to know that with Chad's weaknesses,you could've had Manny and Eddie Futch as your seconds and Chad was always going to beat himself.
I don't think you could've done any more than you did in the corner that night,and as I keep saying,you were good enough to go back to and get a big,big win.
Obviously you know what went on beforehand and we don't,but I think you're well rid mate.
It'll take a special fighter to beat Ward,but all the ability in the world and any trainer you care to mention won't mean shit if you have an attitude like Chad.
His loss IMO
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #64
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

Quote:
Wow. Seemed like Chad coulda lost alot of confidence from his last fight. Doesn't sound too confident to me, might have trouble rebounding.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #65
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Scully is good. It is a mistake ,but an up and coming guy like John Scully will get some good fighters from this point on. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad? I don't see Chad doing well with him. Eddie did well with Barkley in 1992, but I don't see him working well with Chad. Just a chemistry thing with fighter and trainer. John and Chad had a good chemistry.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #66
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

Chad has mental problems.
As Ice John implied in his remarks "Chad is the problem,not the many trainers he has used"

He's only 30 but it's like he lost the heart. No killer instinct,quit against smaller Ward etc
Sugar Nick is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #67
theflyest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Because of this thread, I was inspired to read that classic 2007 Mayweather Sr interview. Just brutal, but that is SR. He's ALWAYS been like that. I just found it odd that HE pursued SR knowing he is a no nonsense type guy at the particular time.
theflyest is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #68
Ripple633
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyest View Post
Because of this thread, I was inspired to read that classic 2007 Mayweather Sr interview. Just brutal, but that is SR. He's ALWAYS been like that. I just found it odd that HE pursued SR knowing he is a no nonsense type guy at the particular time.
Well he did improve Dawson as a boxer, but eventually SR got under Dawson's skin. From what I heard the final nail was SR not allowing Dawson's family to be in the gym. I don't know the particular details maybe Scully knows about it.

Dawson would be a complete boxer right now had he just stuck with one trainer earlier in his career. By the time he hired Floyd Sr, that was his sixth trainer. He went to Eddie Muhammad who is more easy going, and all his fights under Muhammad he looked like crap compared to before.
Ripple633 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #69
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nick View Post
As Ice John implied in his remarks "Chad is the problem,not the many trainers he has used"

He's only 30 but it's like he lost the heart. No killer instinct,quit against smaller Ward etc
If one thing is crystal clear,it's that Chad seems completely incapable of looking inwards when it comes to accountability.I was never sold completely on Chad because my main gripe was that he could be terribly lazy during rounds when he had the ability to utterly dominate,but I felt going back with Ice was a good move.It's a rare occasion that I don't mind if Hopkins loses,so that tells me that I had bought into Chad,but I suspect it was more wanting John Scully to do well,because Chad's conduct here confirms my initial gut feeling was right.
We can all pick times where Chad looked good,but there's a far deeper issue here,and Ice was good enough when they were winning.
What would've happened if Chad had won? Would the Facebook issue have mattered?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #70
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyest View Post
I just read that.Although Floyd definitely overstates the point,I can't help but wonder if Chad really isn't cut out for this lark.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #71
ReE13
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple633 View Post
He looked good under Birmingham, but under Floyd Sr he looked multi-dimensional. He showed a lot more lateral movement under Sr, his left hand improved a lot too. After the Adamek fight, Dawson admitted that Floyd Sr. pushed him hard, and the results speak for itself.

I think Dawson's talent is right up there with the best in boxing today. Unfortunately he seems mentally weak, the decisions he's made in his career were not good ones, and it has effected his performance in the ring. I never knew he switched trainers so many times, even before he hired Sr.
He trained with sr for a total of 2 camps sr sucks if Chad wants a Mayweather he needs uncle Roger
ReE13 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #72
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:

I wish you a quality sane fighter to replace him, Scully.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #73
IceJohnScully
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I wish you a quality sane fighter to replace him, Scully.
Thank u for that. Right now I have a pretty good looking welterweight named Javier Flores, 8-0 (7), who is fighting in Okalahoma City this Saturday. So far so good...
IceJohnScully is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #74
Bullitt
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nick View Post

Let's see howmuch killer instict Ward has if he moved down to 160...
Bullitt is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #75
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Let's see howmuch killer instict Ward has if he moved down to 160...

Spot on.
I agree that Chad has been a bit of a shithead on certain matters,but anyone could see the distress he was in during that fight and I would never hold that against him,given how draining the weight issue was.
If anything,it took balls to go in with someone as good as Ward AND drain to do it.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum