Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
That's a good title because my gut instinct if I had to put money on it is that Ward would probably have just too much for them all, but who would have the best chance is difficult to weigh up. Benn had a force of nature thing about him but I never considered him a complete fighter who could think his way through a fight and adapt. Against McClellan he came up against a similar character who went hell for leather at him. But against somebody like Eubank who was as strong, could punch but could also think his way through a fight he struggled badly and got taken out. However, Ward may have been too slick for Eubank but he doesn't punch hard enough to knock out either him or Benn.

So maybe a peak Benn would have the best shot. He might be able to make Ward work at a higher pace than the other guys and for longer, and if Ward has one weakness it is definitely stamina. So maybe it would be a question of whether a peak Benn would be able to take Ward's in and out pot shotting for 8 rounds or so and then finally get to him in the final rounds? Interesting question.

Collins was a tough nut but I don't seem him being able to make Ward fight at such a high rate and you can see Ward pot shotting him comfortably. Given Ward's core strength that allowed him to push Froch around until he started puffing, I don't think Watson would be strong enough against somebody just as slick.
That's a good post I think.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #32
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

vCash: 187
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

If SOG was a middleweight I'd say Benn. But he isn't, so Collins. I love Watson, but don't think he would be quite good enough. Neither would Follins, but there's a possibility his rough and tumble style could upset Ward. A very small chance, as Ward would probably adjust just fine and Collins doesn't throw THAT much.
ApatheticLeader is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
That's a good post I think.
Yep me and HOF aren't always on the same page but that's a reasonable argument
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #34
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Don't forget this was one of benns fave punches
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #35
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, I think Ward is better than all of these guys. I base this upon Ward's performance against Froch, particularly. I think Froch would have been right with these guys if he were around at the time, i don't think he is outclassed by these guys at all...Ward, on the other hand, is clearly a clear class above Froch.

I think Ward is nearer Calzaghe's class than Benn's and Froch is in Benn's class, not Ward's.

Apart from the distinct possibility that Froch might in fact be a lot bigger than those guys, in real terms, I don't see him being anything other than the underdog against any of them.
And I don't read as much into Ward's beating Froch like he did.
I mean, Watson handled Benn pretty nicely, but that doesn't mean he's a clear class above. All these guys are world class. Ward's better than Froch, but I'd say the others are too. But I'd throw Froch in the mix, in the same class, to be generous, it's debatable. Calzaghe's not a class above. He would have lost some fights in his prime if his opposition was prime versions of all these guys.

Prime Roy Jones Jr. .... now there's a guy who might have been in another class to these.

Quote:
No Unforgiven, I don't think he's "proven better" (like greater?).
I just meant better, based on results/performances. And you do, I see.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

If Froch was a part of that era he would have wins against those guys here and there IMO. I think he'd be very much a part of things and I can't see him beaten by all of them twice in real time.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah Froch is tough as nails, great heart, chin and he can whack. He isnt as slow and cumbersome as he looks either.Him and Collins wouldve been extremely interesting. Two mad hard bastards together.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #38
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

& I think Watson was indeed a class above Benn at MW.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Well going off their fight it would seem that way. Underrated fight that, Watson took some fkin bombs to get to Benn. Almost went toe to toe really with Watson being that bit cuter. He fought an amazing fight. I was fukin devoed at the time, loved Benn but it gave us another star.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
Well going off their fight it would seem that way. Underrated fight that, Watson took some fkin bombs to get to Benn. Almost went toe to toe really with Watson being that bit cuter. He fought an amazing fight. I was fukin devoed at the time, loved Benn but it gave us another star.
Plus their relative performances against Eubank at the weight. Benn, KTFO, Watson, you can score that one literally any one of three ways.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #41
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Plus their relative performances against Eubank at the weight. Benn, KTFO, Watson, you can score that one literally any one of three ways.
Yeah it could be argued that apart from one punch Watson had the better of both Benn and Eubank based on their fights. I would add that for all his excitement as a MW Benn defineatly improved and he had the best performance of all 3, although Watsons career was cut well short.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #42
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, now you mention it, I always thought so.
Certainly at the time they fought.
I think Benn improved a fair bit for the Eubank encounter, but as you say, Watson did better against Eubank.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #43
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

That's true, but Watson improved also.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #44
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

BORKED

12min 28 for the knock down.

Im not 100% sure on wards toughness and stamina. Ward can be hurt, I bet he gets KO'ed (completely lights out) at some point in his career
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #45
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I would be pretty shocked if he didn't. Careers with no knockouts in them are very rare.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum