Leonard 12 16.67%
Same tier 15 20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #136
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: duran v leonard greatness comparison.

Did some ass hat just compare Duran to Buster Douglas... :faceplam: and a ban please
KuRuPT is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #137
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I wish the trolls would stay in the general
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #138
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Maybe I've been overrating Duran and his LW reign.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #139
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Maybe I've been overrating Duran and his LW reign.
I know I did!

I think it's clear behind the reign of Benny.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #140
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yet Benny overall doesn't have the weight jump wins like SRL.. Moore.. Barkley etc etc.. That is what makes Duran greater overall imo. Not only that, but Benny had more losses at his prime weight than duran did.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #141
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Duran's reign is probably the third best of the decade, behind Monzon and Napoles who fought top five opposition virtually every time out. Duran did that for around half of his defenses and the blame falls right into the lap of Carlos Eleta. However, he still beat who he needed to beat.

Talking fighter of the decade, I'd still go Duran as he also beat Marcel and Palomino outside of his LW work.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #142
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I know I did!

I think it's clear behind the reign of Benny.
Yeah, I've always had Benny ahead. His opposition was incredible.

But I still considered Duran lightweight days as very strong. I'm not so sure it was quite so strong now. There seem to be a fair number of taxi driver types, pre-title and post-title. Duran was incredible as a lightweight, and 6 years and 12 defences stands up whatever the opposition. I think it might have been one of the weakest lightweight crops though.

Duran is greater than SRL though.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #143
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran is also better than Benny.. Moving up the way he did and winning even some of those fights past his best is what legends are made of.. That puts Duran clearly ahead of Benny more me.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #144
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 239

10 B level fighters DO NOT equal an ATG. There are some prize idiots on this forum.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #145
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Duran is also better than Benny.. Moving up the way he did and winning even some of those fights past his best is what legends are made of.. That puts Duran clearly ahead of Benny more me.
If you put Duran ahead of Benny, you've got to think mighty highly of Ray Leonard. There's just really no getting around it. Moore and Barkley are impressive more for where he was at in his career than their own quality as fighters.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #146
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Can you name me a win of Benny that compares to beating SRL? I agree to a point... but can you imagine Benny in there with Moore.. Barkley or Hagler? I couldn't cause Benny really didn't test himself in such a manner.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #147
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Yeah, I've always had Benny ahead. His opposition was incredible.

But I still considered Duran lightweight days as very strong. I'm not so sure it was quite so strong now. There seem to be a fair number of taxi driver types, pre-title and post-title. Duran was incredible as a lightweight, and 6 years and 12 defences stands up whatever the opposition. I think it might have been one of the weakest lightweight crops though.

Duran is greater than SRL though.
And posting up some basic rankings for info purposes swayed you to that extent? or was it something else in the thread.

Personally i think Durans lightweight time veered about wildly in quality, but was strong on the whole....Buchanan Dejesus were great talents, better than any lightweight since has beaten and the equal of Ortiz' best, but a fair number of the average to good challengers were quite uninspiring or gave poor prformances on the night ie Guts, Fernandez, and some just sucked...Rojas, Takuyama, but at least they were obliterated instantly like they should have been.

Bizarro was a fairly marginal talent as well.Robertson was decent, but did nothing to deserve a shot as he'd been beaten by Carmona and Gato Gonzalez(and Villaflor at 130) that was similar to Leonard taking on a faded Boy Green for a relatively safe first defence scenario.ORtiz was very tough typical mexican lightweight, though probably got his shot a bit earlier than was deserved.

Thompson and Lampkin(and some would say viruet though i'm not sure myself) were fine fighters and represent a sort of solid middle ground by any standard.There probably weren't quite enough of these types as actual title challengers.The premature decline of Ramos, lack of a rematch with an aging buchanan and Gato Gonzalez weight issues and retirement put paid to some solid matchups.

Gets better if you throw in Marcel and Kobayashi too.Another great talent and a formerly fine fighter on the downside but still good.

Villa and Mamby were really good non-title wins.The Villa one being often overlooked because he had a brief career and lost his world title shots, but around that time he was an excellent boxer-puncher.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #148
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Can you name me a win of Benny that compares to beating SRL? I agree to a point... but can you imagine Benny in there with Moore.. Barkley or Hagler? I couldn't cause Benny really didn't test himself in such a manner.
Depends on how you rank fighters.Those fights weren't at lightweight.

If you just rate for what they did at the weight, benny has the deeper record.If you think higher weight success plays into ranking at their best weight then obviously Duran benefits.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #149
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I rate Duran ahead of Benny P4P, not at LW. I think that highly of SRL.

I said that because sometimes when arguing for Duran's behalf, people tend to take a tremendous piss on everything Leonard was or did... If that's the case, what makes it a great win if Leonard wasn't really shit anyway?
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #150
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
I said that because sometimes when arguing for Duran's behalf, people tend to take a tremendous piss on everything Leonard was or did... If that's the case, what makes it a great win if Leonard wasn't really shit anyway?
You noticed that too then?
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum