Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
Nice one

Out of interest how would he " out fight " Benn. Note im not saying Benn would win, i was answerring Mcgrains question.I dont think he would beat Ward but he hasnt fought anyone like a prime aggressive Nigel Benn.Watson was an excellent boxer but that wasnt all he had. He hit harder than Ward, was more aggressive and could take a hell of a shot.
How do you know Watson "hit harder" than Ward does? Who did he stop, other than Benn, to suggest that?

Anyway, outfighting is more how adept Ward is at working on the inside and denying his opponent room. He'd be tuning Benn up my round nine and would likely stop him.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #47
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6 View Post
BORKED

12min 28 for the knock down.

Im not 100% sure on wards toughness and stamina. Ward can be hurt, I bet he gets KO'ed (completely lights out) at some point in his career
You had to go back SEVEN years for that! Hardly clear-cut evidence that he's chinny. He looks plenty tough and rugged to me - the last round of the Froch fight shows that. Broken hand, exhausted, Froch in pursuit and he still took the round.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #48
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Eubank & Benn.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #49
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah Froch is tough as nails, great heart, chin and he can whack. He isnt as slow and cumbersome as he looks either.Him and Collins wouldve been extremely interesting. Two mad hard bastards together.
He is man.

Still a bad man though..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
You had to go back SEVEN years for that! Hardly clear-cut evidence that he's chinny. He looks plenty tough and rugged to me - the last round of the Froch fight shows that. Broken hand, exhausted, Froch in pursuit and he still took the round.
Im not saying hes chinny but he can be hurt, if someone with a punch connects with a few decent clean shot i could see him getting ko'ed
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #51
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6 View Post
Im not saying hes chinny but he can be hurt, if someone with a punch connects with a few decent clean shot i could see him getting ko'ed
There are very few fighters who can't be hurt. Ward is such a smart, cagey fighter that he's unlikely to get in a position to be stopped, much like Hopkins.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #52
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I don't make any of them less than say a 40% chance to be honest, at their absolute respective peaks.They're all quality fighters, better than anybody Andre has fought in truth, with full respect for Carl and Kessler who are very good but not quite in the same class as the aforementioned guys. That's my opinion on it anyway, and Carl nicked a few rounds towards the back end even though he's the slowest out of all these names, his grit showed through so you have to think Collins would be a serious proposition for Andre.

As for best chance I'd say Benn because I still think that if you're going to make Andre uncomfortable it ain't a chess match that's your best bet. It's that raw type of guy, but skilled too.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #53
Mctaggert
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I would say Benn would have had the best chance because we've never seen Ward against a fighter like him before. Even someone like Froch is still a Boxer at heart, while Benn was an animal in the ring. He'd take stupid amounts of punishment to get in one good shot.

That one good shot could have Ward on his arse, if Ward had trouble with a dirty fighter like Bika, he would not enjoy Nigel Benn one bit.
Mctaggert is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Actually the Benn that fought G-man probably ends Andre Ward's career.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #55
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Six rounds with Benn at his most aggressive is too many rounds for Ward to escape - Does he have Watson's long-forearmed, forehead-cupped guard or Eubank's or Collins' jaws?
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #56
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Actually the Benn that fought G-man probably ends Andre Ward's career.
I think so.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #57
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Think they all give Ward a tough fight TBH. All for different reasons..

Would have to think about it a little more..
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #58
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont understand why people give so much significance to a fighters chin. Many fighters with great chins have been knocked down, but some even needed that to get the fire going in the fight. Wounded animals sort of thing. I think people should start to give "retaliation" more significance, it doesnt matter if you get knocked down (unless of course it means your down for 10 and lose the fight) what matters is how you come back and win the fight. Fighters that get knocked unconscious, that isn't 100% to do with the chin. Its mainly to do with the ability and vision to see that oncoming punch and be able to prepare for it. It tends to be a second of carelessness or recklessness that sees these sort of knockdowns occur. This multiplies the effect of the punch and the immediate reaction it has to the brain.

Hence the reason we have seen some wonderful punches thrown from Russia to the UK seemingly have no effect on the recipient. Purely because they had distance away and saw the punch coming.

The ones you dont see coming, are the ones that send you to sleep or give you serious chicken legs for a longer duration. Which leads to a longer needed period of recovery whilst receiving more punches in the process if your still "standing" that is.

How has that got everything to do with an Amir Khan like-chin? If you dont see the punch or prepare for it, its not got a lot to do with the chin. Fighters with the best so called "chin", tend to be fighters that dont get hit in that way at any time in a fight, they make sure they see the oncoming punches.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #59
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I dont think Ward could take the shots that Watson did in the Benn fight, he ate alot of hard shots, part of the gameplan was for Benn to punch himself out, Ward couldnt do that. Plus he was raw as fcuk then.Both Malinga fights yeah he was awful but in these fantasy match ups its generally meant to be when at their best and he wasnt against Malinga, particulary the rematch.
Watson took those shots on his arms, gloves and elbows, in ear-muff mode.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #60
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah it could be argued that apart from one punch Watson had the better of both Benn and Eubank based on their fights. I would add that for all his excitement as a MW Benn defineatly improved and he had the best performance of all 3, although Watsons career was cut well short.
Eubank was mustard in the first 9 rounds of the first Watson fight. Cruising 7-2.
atberry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum