Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #196
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just how bad was Haglar robbed if at all against SRL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
I would have been all for a rematch, but wasnt it Haglar that said he'd never fight again?
Yes, but at the same time he was really pushing for a rematch with Ray. It was the only fight he was interested in. Had he beaten Ray in a rematch he still would've probably retired.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #197
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
That's probably why he wanted the rematch so badly. He felt he did enough (which wasn't much, especially by Hagler standards) to win the first time, and I agree with him. In a rematch Hagler would've been all over Leonard and done what he should've done the first time.

I think Ray knew it too and knew that he got off very, very easy in their one and only encounter and did not do a rematch because of it.
To be fair, Ray was rusty, and not back in the groove.

It's all conjecture. I'm reasonably confident in a rematch, Ray would have been better, too.

Again, SRL had every disadvantage. His situation would only improve in an immediate sort of rematch situation.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #198
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Even with all of the stipulations that, yes, did indeed favour Leonard, Hagler still had no business losing to Leonard in 1987. A mountainous achievement by Sugar. Glorious.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #199
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Even with all of the stipulations that, yes, did indeed favour Leonard, Hagler still had no business losing to Leonard in 1987. A mountainous achievement by Sugar. Glorious.
Hagler surrendered them pretty likely. Clearly must have not thought they made a difference.

In hindsight, allowing a rusty fighter off a long layoff a MUCH shorter distance(3 rounds is quite a bit) was the height of foolishness.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #200
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Hagler surrendered them pretty likely. Clearly must have not thought they made a difference.

In hindsight, allowing a rusty fighter off a long layoff a MUCH shorter distance(3 rounds is quite a bit) was the height of foolishness.
Indeed. He wanted Leonard's name on his CV, and he also wanted the pay day. I suppose he thought the fight wouldn't last that long anyhow. Ray hadn't fought in such a long time. It's completely understandable Hagler wouldn't have been all that worried. I'd probably have done the same thing just to get the man in the ring.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #201
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Indeed. He wanted Leonard's name on his CV, and he also wanted the pay day. I suppose he thought the fight wouldn't last that long anyhow. Ray hadn't fought in such a long time. It's completely understandable Hagler wouldn't have been all that worried. I'd probably have done the same thing just to get the man in the ring.
I've taken a man lightly like that before. It ended for me about the same way.

Forgot what an old buddy of my used to say, "Remember, the other guy is a trained fighter, and thus perfectly capable of f***ing a man up."

It ain't ever easy in there, nor a sure thing. Sometimes, we pay for our arrogance with parts of our legacies.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #202
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
I've taken a man lightly like that before. It ended for me about the same way.

Forgot what an old buddy of my used to say, "Remember, the other guy is a trained fighter, and thus perfectly capable of f***ing a man up."

It ain't ever easy in there, nor a sure thing. Sometimes, we pay for our arrogance with parts of our legacies.

Taking a man lightly is goin against the 123 and ABC's of boxing!...I did some fighting as well..worst mistake you can make!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #203
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Taking a man lightly is goin against the 123 and ABC's of boxing!...I did some fighting as well..worst mistake you can make!
In the case of Hagler-Leonard, it was almost inevitable. Ray hadn't fought for 3 years in a professional ring. How can he hope to go 12 rounds with the Middleweight king? It won't happen. Hagler was as dedicated as they come, but he was also very arrogant when it came to his only ability. I'm currently reading Four Kings. Whenever there is a quote from Hagler he's being very bullish about his own ability, and the chances of his opponent beating him. I don't think he was worried in the slightest entering the ring with Leonard in 1987. As you say, a mistake.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #204
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
In the case of Hagler-Leonard, it was almost inevitable. Ray hadn't fought for 3 years in a professional ring. How can he hope to go 12 rounds with the Middleweight king? It won't happen. Hagler was as dedicated as they come, but he was also very arrogant when it came to his only ability. I'm currently reading Four Kings. Whenever there is a quote from Hagler he's being very bullish about his own ability, and the chances of his opponent beating him. I don't think he was worried in the slightest entering the ring with Leonard in 1987. As you say, a mistake.

That was certainly the feeling at the time. It was almost like it was some sort of circus sideshow exhibition rather than a serious middleweight title defense. By then, Hagler had just started coming down a bit from the heady success and huge money he'd only really started making two years earlier. I think by then, he'd gotten a bit jaded and maybe disinterested, like he'd climbed all the mountains he needed to climb. This fight seemed then like just an excuse to make a lot of money and "make the papers" as it were. Not a soul thought Ray would win. No one.

Except for revisionist historians on this board twenty-five years after the fact. They were pretty savvy, I guess.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #205
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
That was certainly the feeling at the time. It was almost like it was some sort of circus sideshow exhibition rather than a serious middleweight title defense. By then, Hagler had just started coming down a bit from the heady success and huge money he'd only really started making two years earlier. I think by then, he'd gotten a bit jaded and maybe disinterested, like he'd climbed all the mountains he needed to climb. This fight seemed then like just an excuse to make a lot of money and "make the papers" as it were. Not a soul thought Ray would win. No one.

Except for revisionist historians on this board twenty-five years after the fact. They were pretty savvy, I guess.
I was pretty young and not really focused on it, but I've talked to guys who were insiders around that time and scene at about that time, and they thought it was sanctioned murder.

I have a buddy who says he was honestly more surprised at what he was watching than Tyson vs. Douglas, as he always knew that eventually Mike would crash to Earth hard.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #206
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post

True, hagler's bitterness got the better of him and he "sold out" for the easy money walkover he thought he was entitled to at that point against the former superstar.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #207
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
I was pretty young and not really focused on it, but I've talked to guys who were insiders around that time and scene at about that time, and they thought it was sanctioned murder.

I have a buddy who says he was honestly more surprised at what he was watching than Tyson vs. Douglas, as he always knew that eventually Mike would crash to Earth hard.

Crash and never really get back up....sad!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #208
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
True, hagler's bitterness got the better of him and he "sold out" for the easy money walkover he thought he was entitled to at that point against the former superstar.
It's funny how many make this mistake.

They forget that the superstar was a superstar for a reason; He can fight. Usually rather well.

No such thing as an easy pay day unless you take it serious as a heart attack. Hagler dancing and shaking around at the end of the fight? So out of character. He never felt comfortable, because he was stunned by what happened in the ring.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #209
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I would have been all for a rematch, but wasnt it Haglar that said he'd never fight again?
No, that wasn`t the case. Hagler had a lot of personal things going on in his life at the time of the fight. However, he had a long talk with goody saying he wanted the rematch only... They tried mightily to get SRL back to the table, but he and his braintust wasn`t biting. So after much thought, he told Goody ,`he isn`t going to give me the rematch and he had no interest in fighting anyone elas. So he packed it in. Goody and Pat had smartly handled his finances so even though goinf through a divorce. he was extremly well off ...
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #210
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
As much as I like Hagler, he was the one to "rob" himself before the fight (though, in retrospect, it was good for him as he retired in good health).

He was the champion after all, and still he agreed for anything SRL wanted. Larger ring, larger gloves, and 12 rounds instead of traditional (at that time) 15. All of those changes were obviously favouring Leonard. I believe without those changes Hagler would give much better fight.
Thing is that without those concessions, there would have been no fight ! Thats why Pat agreed... And as someone already said, NOONE gave SRL any kind of a shot after 3 yrs out...
Waynegrade is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum