Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #61
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
How do you know Watson "hit harder" than Ward does? Who did he stop, other than Benn, to suggest that?
Watson had this tremendous overarm right punch that seemed to take out (or at least put down) anyone it landed on, apart from Eubank (...). The awesome amateur John Beckles was taken out in 30 seconds from it, and Ricky Stackhouse and Errol Christie were down in 30 seconds from it, too. Don Lee couldn't withstand it and was busted up. He would kind of just lean to one side and let it go, only Benn kept Watson's hands high with his aggression and Mike McCallum was too cute to stay in one spot. (Ward however likes to lay on the inside sporadically....)
atberry is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #62
Bronxbull666
The Beast From The East
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Calzaghe
Bronxbull666 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #63
Box-Fan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Eubank was mustard in the first 9 rounds of the first Watson fight. Cruising 7-2.
Why did i have the feeling you'd say just that? Utter rubbish.

As for the question i'd give Benn a punchers chance but Ward beats the rest, and beats Benn 9 out of 10.
Box-Fan is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #64
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box-Fan View Post
Why did i have the feeling you'd say just that? Utter rubbish.
Pull your head out your ass. Eubank was schooling Michael.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #65
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Don't get me wrong, in the Rematch, Watson was outrageously good and beat Eubank up...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #66
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, in the Rematch, Watson was outrageously good and beat Eubank up...
Facts are Eubank still won! Both guys throughout the fight took punishment.

Ward is not hard enough to even put Eubank on the defensive.

Eubank was incredible tough physically.

Eubank vs Watson II is probably Eubank's best performances, most fighters fold when they are over extended.

Benn & Eubank..? Did'nt.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #67
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Watson had this tremendous overarm right punch that seemed to take out (or at least put down) anyone it landed on, apart from Eubank (...). The awesome amateur John Beckles was taken out in 30 seconds from it, and Ricky Stackhouse and Errol Christie were down in 30 seconds from it, too. Don Lee couldn't withstand it and was busted up. He would kind of just lean to one side and let it go, only Benn kept Watson's hands high with his aggression and Mike McCallum was too cute to stay in one spot. (Ward however likes to lay on the inside sporadically....)
Sorry, I'm still not seeing any sort of evidence that Watson, who I am a tremendous admirer of, was a bigger puncher than Ward. Yes, he stopped a lot of guys who were generally at domestic level, but once he was above that level he didn't look particularly brutal. A sharp puncher, very accurate and with great timing perhaps, but then so is Ward.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #68
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict

vCash: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Most thought Benn won the rematch and first time round he didn't know enough. Benn simply wasn't the same fighter as he was at middleweight. His defence was no where near as good as a youngster.

Prime Benn beats Calzaghe h2h in my opinion - let alone Ward who looks pretty good but struggled with sakio bika
Yeah, I'm with that. Never been a Joe C fan.

cheers
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #69
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sorry, I'm still not seeing any sort of evidence that Watson, who I am a tremendous admirer of, was a bigger puncher than Ward. Yes, he stopped a lot of guys who were generally at domestic level, but once he was above that level he didn't look particularly brutal. A sharp puncher, very accurate and with great timing perhaps, but then so is Ward.
Beckles and Lee were well above local British level. Beckles won medals at European and World championships and Lee was once World #1 ranked middleweight during Hagler's reign.

Errol Christie had super talent and was difficult to catch with his nice rolls.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #70
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Watson bulldozed them all easily with the aggressive, loading approach he later used against Eubank in their rematch.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #71
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also, Ricky Stackhouse looked good against Graham and Duran, causing them both problems. Watson bashed him all over the ring.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #72
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
**** off "upset" SOG. Benn, Eubank, Collins and to a lesser extent Watson are all legends. Ward isn't. Not yet anyway. He's only just started really. Whether your think any of those guys in their primes could have beat Ward or vice-versa is up for debate, it all depends on what your prefer.

But to ask if any of those guys could win in an "upset" is disrespectful and stupid. Christ, Ward's unified one division and beat a weight-drained LW champion yet people are already calling him a legend and making out like he's some modern-day Sugar Ray Leonard. Stop putting him on this high-pedestal this early in his career. We actually don't know yet how truly good he is.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #73
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
How do you know Watson "hit harder" than Ward does? Who did he stop, other than Benn, to suggest that?

Anyway, outfighting is more how adept Ward is at working on the inside and denying his opponent room. He'd be tuning Benn up my round nine and would likely stop him.

From watching them both fight ?
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #74
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Errol Christie had super talent and was difficult to catch with his nice rolls.
He'd been knocked out several times by journeymen by the time he faced Watson.
He was chinny, and getting KO'd on the regular.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #75
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Eubank probably.

I think Benn would be picked apart.
Ilesey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum