Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #301
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Ha! I'll give you a clue.

He's the most argumentative person that's ever lived! However, this forum wouldn't be the same without him.
Well what would be the point of forums if everybody got along?
You always have the good and the bad side,from our angle and form theirs too.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #302
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
Well what a would be the point of forums if everybody got along?
You always have the good and the bad side,from our angle and form theirs too.
That's right. It makes it interesting.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #303
skier47
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
I would actually place Joe higher than Robinson and Ray.

They suffered losses, and Joe was never beat. So they can't have been as good can they?

It's a toss up for me, on who was the greatest ever fighter.

It's either Joe or Marciano.

Marciano had 3 more fights, but Joe has a great tattoo.

It's a tough one.

I'd say if they'd have fought, Joe's workrate would have pulled out the win.

Nobody could match his workrate, and his stamina.

Don't get me wrong, Marciano would be dangerous, because he had a bit of power, but it wouldn't have been enough in my opinion.

All things considered, I think Joe has to be the greatest fighter in history.

Aint nobody knocking Veit out like he did!
I don't know about Joe being the greatest fighter in history. But your attempt at sarcasm has got to rank very low on the totem pole. You see boy, sarcasm to be effective must involve at some primitive level a little genuine humor. You are not fit to suck dog vomit off the bottom off the great Rocky Marciano's shoes. Joe Calzaghe and the great one, Rocky Marciano represent all that is great about the awesome sport of boxing. You and your ilk represent all that is pathetic about the boxing fanbase these days. No respect, no class and you're not even funny.
skier47 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #304
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier47 View Post
I don't know about Joe being the greatest fighter in history. But your attempt at sarcasm has got to rank very low on the totem pole. You see boy, sarcasm to be effective must involve at some primitive level a little genuine humor. You are not fit to suck dog vomit off the bottom off the great Rocky Marciano's shoes. Joe Calzaghe and the great one, Rocky Marciano represent all that is great about the awesome sport of boxing. You and your ilk represent all that is pathetic about the boxing fanbase these days. No respect, no class and you're not even funny.
Oh the Irony
banny is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #305
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I wasn't disrespecting The Rock. I was disrespecting YOU and your BULLSHIT post that was embarrassing to read!

This one is nearly as bad.

Joe Calzaghe represents everything that is awesome about boxing? Ha!

Let's have a look.

He defended his Mickey Mouse WBO belt in the U.K. for the majority of his career.

He said he wasn't chasing Roy, and didn't want tough fights.

He refused the opportunity to go to America, when Lou DiBella had the door open for him.

He fought in one of the WEAKEST divisions in the 90's.

It took him 10 years to unify!

He wanted the crown jewels to face Roy, but wouldn't move up to 175, or go to America.

He told everyone he knew what his capabilities were.

He pulled out three times against Johnson.

He tried to pull out against Lacy.

Showtime called him no show Joe.

He told reporters that he'd chased Roy for 5 years, DESPITE the fact that he'd never fought in Roy's country, or his weight class.

He said a fight with Roy would be pointless in 2007.

He said the same again early 2008.

He then fought Roy, and tried to claim that it was a great win.

He stayed away from Roy his entire career, until Roy was finished at elite level.

And you think that represents everything GREAT about boxing?

You haven't got the intelligence to debate with me.

Last edited by Loudon; 01-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #306
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Quote:
No show Joe isn't a quater of the man the Blockbuster was. Rocky rematched all his hard fights and did a better job on them the second time. Joe only rematched guys he knocked out in one round.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #307
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
an equivalent topic on the classic boards would be those arguing that joey archer's beat down of ray robinson made him a better fighter than ray in their primes.

How many respected members of the boxing media and profession were picking Ray Robinson to beat Joey Archer?

Bernard Hopkins- Former two-division world champion

Fought Joe Calzaghe on April 19, 2008 and lost by split decision

Fought Roy Jones Jr. May 22, 1993 and lost by unanimous decision

“Jones by unanimous decision based on his speed and power.”

Lennox Lewis- Former heavyweight champion

"Jones has unbelievable speed and Calzaghe's never fought anyone like him. Jones likes it when his opponent comes to him and unfortunately for Calzaghe, that's exactly what he does; comes to his opponent and is right in their face. I pick Jones on points, but I think it’ll be a very close fight."

Jeff Lacy- Former IBF super middleweight champion

Fought Joe Calzaghe March 4, 2006 and lost by unanimous decision

“It’s going to be a hard fight to pick. If Jones doesn't stay on the ropes and give Calzaghe angles and lots of movement I'm going to go with Jones by decision. Roy can't stay on the ropes and give Joe the chance to throw his slapping punches. This is a great fight for Jones to win and setup a big money fight again with Hopkins!”

Glen Johnson- Former IBF, IBO and Ring Magazine light heavyweight champion

Fought Roy Jones September 25, 2004 and won by KO in 9th round

“Roy Jones will win. I believe Calzaghe fights an amateur style. He throws a lot of slappy punches. Roy throws much more meaningful punches. In general, Calzaghe will throw more punches than Roy, but Roy’s will be harder hitting. Unless the judges are blind, they will see that the harder punches make Jones the winner. They should see that Roy Jones’ hard-hitting punches make the difference.”

Vernon Forrest - WBC welterweight champion

“Roy Jones is still the best fighter in my era and still arguably one of the best fighters period. Roy with his speed can match Calzaghe, and he has power. So the power and speed is with Roy. Roy by decision.”

Paulie Malignaggi- Former IBF junior welterweight champion.

"It's a hard fight to pick. I thought Calzaghe at first because, but maybe he's too much for Roy right now. But based on what Joe just said about the three Brits beating the three Americans (Calzaghe-Jones, Hatton-Malignaggi, Haye-Barrett), I'm pulling Roy home.....Jones by decision."

Winky Wright- Former world junior middleweight champion

“I think Roy is going to win. I think that his punches are going to be sharper than Calzaghe’s and I think that Roy is a harder puncher. I think it might go all 12 rounds, but if somebody gets stopped I think its Calzaghe late in the fight.”

Dan Rafael- ESPN.com

“Although Calzaghe is the favorite, I think Jones' style and speed -- he's still fast -- are going to give him problems. I think it will be a tough, close fight but I'm going with the upset special. I like Jones to pull it out on a close decision.”

Gordon Marino- Wall Street Journal

”Jones over Calzaghe. This is a fascinating fight. Jones is still quick and with his awkward style and dangerous punching power is able to freeze very active opponents like Calzaghe. I'm picking Jones by a decision.”

Tim Smith- New York Daily News

“Roy Jones has good power and I think that will offset the volume of punches that Calzaghe throws. Calzaghe has a good chin so I don't see him getting knocked out. I like Jones in a decision.”

Franklin McNeil- Newark Star Ledger

“On paper, Calzaghe should not have much difficulty getting by Jones. Calzaghe is a southpaw, and Jones has had his most difficult outings against non-orthodox fighters. And though each man has quite a few miles on his tires, Jones has logged a bit more. The physical edge goes to Calzaghe, but stylistically Jones’ constant movement could prove to be beneficial. If Jones can control the pace, make Calzaghe miss, score with counter shots and his stamina holds up, he will win. Jones wins by decision.”

Bobby Cassidy- Newsday

“I like Roy Jones in the 11th round TKO. Calzaghe does not have the power to keep Jones honest. I think by the second half of the fight Jones will be picking him a part. Calzaghe looked so good against Hopkins because Hopkins didn't have the firepower to slow him down. But Jones has both speed and power. In other fights, Calzaghe has been able to adjust to one of those assets; he won't be able to adjust to both, especially from a fighter like Jones.”[/quote]
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #308
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Was Joe Calzaghe's masterclass versus Roy Jones the most underated boxing performance of the past 30 years. If you remember correctly, Roy had now adapted his body back to 175 and was back on a good winning streak, dismantling Trinidad who had destroyed Mayorga and William Joppy as he cruised through the weight divisions. The fight was only Calzaghe's 2nd at the weight and he travelled to america despite the likes of Hopkins, Lennox Lewis, Tarver, and Johnson all predicting that Jones would beat him. What made the performance even more amazing imo was that Calzaghe recovered from a brutal illegal forearm in the 1st round, only to get up and completely bamboozle Jones with superb lateral movement and delicious 4 and 5 piece combinations throughout. What makes the win even better in my eyes is that after the fight, Roy then went on to produce a clinical exhibition V Jeff Lacy and then gave his own virtuoso masterclass versus Glen Johnson conqueror Omar Sheika proving that he still had plenty left in the tank. Your thoughts please?
Someone please inject this guy with potassium chloride and then electrocute him.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #309
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

I'm a big Calzaghe fan but threads like this do him no favors.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #310
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210

It was an amazing performance, that shot, bloated Calzaghe, with brittle hands, at the end of his career, could go up a division and dominate the #6 LHW. Sensational.
Calzaghe had chased Jones for years and only when Jones had no other options did the fight with Calzaghe happen, and when it did, it was a masterclass.

Purely sensational.

Calzaghes legacy is so great, that most of the so called top fighters around his division and even today have a loss that dates back to the name Calzaghe.
Just look and play the game

Toney - lost to Jones, who lost to Calzaghe
Dawson - lost to Pascal, who lost to Froch, who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe
Ward - lost to D Boone, who lost to Pascal, who lost to Froch, who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe
Froch - who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe
Hopkins - who lost to Calzaghe
Jones - who lost to Calzaghe
Tarver - who lost to Hopkins, who lost to Calzaghe
Nunn - who lost to Rocchigiani, who lost to Eubank, who lost to Calzaghe
Pascal - who lost to Hopkins, who lost to Calzaghe

Thats how great Calzaghe truly was, as shown with irrefutable proof. Theres no triangle theory with Calzaghe because he is undefeated, so that rule doesnt exist here

Play the game. Lets continue, its fun

Evander Holyfield - lost to Ruiz, who lost to Jones, who lost to Calzaghe
bailey is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #311
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

FFS Bailey Thats weak even by your standards

The only way Joe has names of that quality on his resume is with your bizarre reasoning

Does Joe beat Holyfield?
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #312
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

That perma banned nutter troll Hasworth wouldn't go that far. You're making a right fool of yourself now ****.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #313
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Someone please inject this guy with potassium chloride and then electrocute him.
Haha!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #314
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
It was an amazing performance, that shot, bloated Calzaghe, with brittle hands, at the end of his career, could go up a division and dominate the #6 LHW. Sensational.
Calzaghe had chased Jones for years and only when Jones had no other options did the fight with Calzaghe happen, and when it did, it was a masterclass.

Purely sensational.

Calzaghes legacy is so great, that most of the so called top fighters around his division and even today have a loss that dates back to the name Calzaghe.
Just look and play the game

Toney - lost to Jones, who lost to Calzaghe
Dawson - lost to Pascal, who lost to Froch, who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe
Ward - lost to D Boone, who lost to Pascal, who lost to Froch, who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe
Froch - who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe
Hopkins - who lost to Calzaghe
Jones - who lost to Calzaghe
Tarver - who lost to Hopkins, who lost to Calzaghe
Nunn - who lost to Rocchigiani, who lost to Eubank, who lost to Calzaghe
Pascal - who lost to Hopkins, who lost to Calzaghe

Thats how great Calzaghe truly was, as shown with irrefutable proof. Theres no triangle theory with Calzaghe because he is undefeated, so that rule doesnt exist here

Play the game. Lets continue, its fun

Evander Holyfield - lost to Ruiz, who lost to Jones, who lost to Calzaghe
Boxing maths
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #315
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Joe was bloated at 175?

Ha! That's some funny shit!
Loudon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum