Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #272
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey's vaunted run to the Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
No, you are right - but I don't think anyone has accused Dempsey of feasting on leftovers where Brennan is concerned? More just registering general astonishment at his taking on the guy who had been thrashed four times the year before rather than the guy who actually won
It was supposed to be an easy defence. It didn't quite work out that way.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #273
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Brennan was a good fighter. Dempsey beat a good fighter there. But it's just another case of very very strange happenings during the Dempsey reign. Look at 1919. Was there ever a champion that had two contenders duking it out the year before that many times and takes on the loser? I mean has a HW champion even taken on the loser of a trilogy in these circumstances? It's ****ing freaky.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #274
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Lee Ramage would be about 5 years old in 1918, so no.
Surely you know what I meant.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #275
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Do the pro dempsey camp even admit that he had a poor pre title run and a poor title run? I hope they can at least admit that. Even if they want to go with the romantic writing of the day and some hyperbole from others as the basis for his greatness.. I hope they can at least see his resume, is well, not that stellar.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #276
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Surely you know what I meant.
yeah, he was a good fighter.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #277
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Do the pro dempsey camp even admit that he had a poor pre title run and a poor title run? I hope they can at least admit that. Even if they want to go with the romantic writing of the day and some hyperbole from others as the basis for his greatness.. I hope they can at least see his resume, is well, not that stellar.
He didn't have a 'poor pre-title run'. Compared to who ?
I mean, he KO'd Fred Fulton, who you could call the legit #1 or #2 contender, in a few seconds.
He was busy and knocking fighters out, even if most were second- and third-raters, and some were better than that. It's not a 'poor run'.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #278
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What would you call it.. and average run? Regardless, even if we use that term.. average run and poor tittle run /= the adjectives.. best ever... or even one of the best ever.. wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by KuRuPT; 01-23-2013 at 03:00 PM.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #279
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
What would you call it? An Average run?
It was a good run.

If a heavyweight came along today and went 19-1-1 (17 KOs) in a twelve month period, with a 1st round KO over a top 2 contender, and some other KOs against top 20 guys, and a series of 'keep busy' KOs over second-raters IT WOULD BE PRETTY ****ING AMAZING !
In my humble opinion.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #280
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
yeah, he was a good fighter.
Yeah, I was just thinking a decent prospect like Ramage should at least have been about equal to a couple of the faded notables on Dempsey's record.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #281
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It was a good run.

If a heavyweight came along today and went 19-1-1 (17 KOs) in a twelve month period, with a 1st round KO over a top 2 contender, and some other KOs against top 20 guys, and a series of 'keep busy' KOs over second-raters IT WOULD BE PRETTY ****ING AMAZING !
In my humble opinion.
I edited my post... but still.. I disagree on using the adjective Good run.. and instead would use the term average run.. But still even using the term good.. you would agree his title run was pretty piss poor. So we have a "good" pre title run and a "poor" title run.. how does those equal terms like.. best ever.. or one of the best ever.. or even.. top 10 hw of all time?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #282
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
So we have a "good" pre title run and a "poor" title run.. how does those equal terms like.. best ever.. or one of the best ever.. or even.. top 10 hw of all time?

Because ....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #283
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
The Gibbons thing is interesting because he beat Greb. That fight in the rain was not seen as that satisfactory, proven by Gibbons being the favourite going into their title eliminator, which Greb won very clearly. Still, Greb did better against Gibbons during Dempsey's title reign.

So yeah, you could argue that Dempsey was at Greb's leftovers but Greb was at Gibbons' leftovers, but then Greb thrashed Gibbons.
To be fair to Dempsey, I think (not sure) the bout with Gibbons was signed and in the process before the 4th Greb bout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I think the one thing that is harshly criticised and something I'm also guilty of, is his domination of Willard. He was seen as a dominant champ at the time who was too big for his challengers. I don't think it's wrong to say he was seen as head and shoulders above his peers. I'm not saying he was a wlad klitschko, I'm saying he was perceived to be the best out there.

Was Dempsey still considered a dominant champ during his Hollywood years? I'm not sure and I'd have to look into that.

I think the praise Dempsey received during his prime was justified. I think it's shambolic that he never faced Wills nor Greb but i do think the things they said are true, it's just that people have since overtook him.
Willard was not seen as a dominant champ LUFC, he avoided his top contenders in Wills, Fulton and Langford, not fighting anyone of note since his win over Johnson 3 years ago. He was also inactive for those 3 years and 37
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #284
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
It was a good run.

In my humble opinion.
What if before that year, he lost by first round knockout to Allan Green?
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #285
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
To be fair to Dempsey, I think (not sure) the bout with Gibbons was signed and in the process before the 4th Greb bout.

Willard was not seen as a dominant champ LUFC, he avoided his top contenders in Wills, Fulton and Langford, not fighting anyone of note since his win over Johnson 3 years ago. He was also inactive for those 3 years and 37

I think that is more in retrospective view though.. I don't believe the people at the time thought he was a garbage champion.
KuRuPT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum