Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Chris Eubank versus Andre Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Ward embodies the technicial skill of Watson that troubled Eubank and pressure of Watson/Collins that took him out of his comfort zone. He would outbox Eubank but I'm not sold on Ward's chin, I give Eubank a chance of come from behind KO, otherwise a Ward decision of 8-4 or wider
My thoughts, too. We need to know a bit more about Ward, but at this point I tentatively lean towards a decision win for him. Never count out Eubank though. The man was dangerous at any time.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Ward and Watson are very different fighters, and Ward doesn't come close to the pressure-fighting of Watson or Collins in their rematches with Eubank. Strange.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Ward and Watson are very different fighters, and Ward doesn't come close to the pressure-fighting of Watson or Collins in their rematches with Eubank. Strange.
In terms of pace he fights at? I think he does, he throws allot of leather in there. In terms of being able to hurt Eubank, that wouldn't happen and Ward actually looked to tire down the stretch against Froch if I remember rightly
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Collins is closer than Watson i'd say....well not the maniac Collins at the end of his career who just abandoned all skills and hurtled forward.

He's more bullrush and clubbing combo though where Ward is cagey jab and grab.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Interesting posts on page one lora.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #21
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The Eubank of the 2nd Watson fight would beat any 168-pounder of the 'super middle' era*, imo. (*apart from Roy Jones, and Jones might have to kill him to beat him).
We rarely saw anything like that Eubank again, and usually saw less than 50% of that when he was up against lesser opponents, understandably.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #22
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
The Eubank of the 2nd Watson fight would beat any 168-pounder of the 'super middle' era*, imo. (*apart from Roy Jones, and Jones might have to kill him to beat him).
We rarely saw anything like that Eubank again, and usually saw less than 50% of that when he was up against lesser opponents, understandably.
Except for the fact that I pick Eubank to beat RJJ, I agree with you....be aware that we are a very small minority who recognize this truth...

Y'all musta forgot!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #23
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Except for the fact that I pick Eubank to beat RJJ, I agree with you....be aware that we are a very small minority who recognize this truth...

Y'all musta forgot!
Interesting.

It's easy to forget what a beast Eubank was at his best, because there's so much that came with him and after that.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #24
Mod-Mania
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Watson outclassed Eubank for most of the 2nd fight till the end and would have almost certainly one had the ending not happend, ,maybe even stopped him even Eubank himself says so.
Mod-Mania is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, quantifying that second fight is difficult, but they were both absolute beasts.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #26
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod-Mania View Post
Watson outclassed Eubank for most of the 2nd fight till the end and would have almost certainly one had the ending not happend, ,maybe even stopped him even Eubank himself says so.
Yeah, but we all know what actually happened.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Eubank was my favourite boxer growing up and I have allot of time for him.
But there's some serious overrating here, Eubank himself said he looked to survive from the mid-rounds on in the second fight and was nearly knocked out. Watson was fighting out of his comfort zone in looking for the KO after being robbed for not being aggressive enough in the first fight. Eubank was the stronger man and ultimately won the exchange but it doesn't make him the better boxer in my view.

Watson>Eubank

Watson-Ward - now that's a good match up
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Eubank was my favourite boxer growing up and I have allot of time for him.
But there's some serious overrating here, Eubank himself said he looked to survive from the mid-rounds on in the second fight and was nearly knocked out. Watson was fighting out of his comfort zone in looking for the KO after being robbed for not being aggressive enough in the first fight. Eubank was the stronger man and ultimately won the exchange but it doesn't make him the better boxer in my view.

Watson>Eubank
Eubank won the fight, knocked Watson out, ended his career, almost ended his life. It's really hard to argue with that result.
Eubank proved himself the better fighter on that night.
Score cards, skills, round-by-round analyses all goes out the window when a fighter does than to another.
Watson's defeat was emphatic.

Watson was amazing that night, and I thought he won the first fight, he was even better in the rematch by quite a degree. He was always my favourite.
But Eubank turned beast when he needed to. Eubank was unwilling to lose. You don't throw punches like that if you're 'only' trying to survive.
It's really impossible to muddy the result.
It is what it is.

I see Michael Watson from time to time, he lives near me. He's an inspiration.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #29
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Eubank won the fight, knocked Watson out, ended his career, almost ended his life. It's really hard to argue with that result.
Eubank proved himself the better fighter on that night.
Score cards, skills, round-by-round analyses all goes out the window when a fighter does than to another.
Watson's defeat was emphatic.

Watson was amazing that night, and I thought he won the first fight, he was even better in the rematch by quite a degree. He was always my favourite.
But Eubank turned beast when he needed to. Eubank was unwilling to lose. You don't throw punches like that if you're 'only' trying to survive.
It's really impossible to muddy the result.
It is what it is.

I see Michael Watson from time to time, he lives near me. He's an inspiration.
There was 1 winner that night, but that only makes them 1-1 (for many). Eubank had the glittsy career, while Watson was left to slowly recover and never be the same again.

Wrong tactic for Watson and it ended his career, but that's boxing

In many ways like Corrales-Castillo 1, which saw the end of their primes too
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Ward has a higher skill level than either one though, and more brains.
Xplosive is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum