Leonard 12 16.67%
Same tier 15 20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #166
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: duran v leonard greatness comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Or...maybe...Leonard was just coming on? Excuse me for saying so, but it just seems as though Ray finds it difficult to get much credit on the Classic. Ray turns it on in the last remaining rounds against Duran. But no, it was Duran consciously taking it easy. Leonard overcame the odds to beat Hagler despite a 3 year lay off. No, Hagler was cheated, and if he wasn't, then he fought the wrong fight and a rematch would have been totally different. Bleh.

In any event, I had Duran beating Barkley more clearly on the cards than I had him beating Leonard in Montreal. Opinions will vary.
I hear what you're saying, but that's just my opinion as well.Thought it looked clear Duran had laid off the gas and was even taunting him at times.

I've no problems with giving Ray credit as a fighter.Or Criticising either of them.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #167
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Or...maybe...Leonard was just coming on? Excuse me for saying so, but it just seems as though Ray finds it difficult to get much credit on the Classic. Ray turns it on in the last remaining rounds against Duran. But no, it was Duran consciously taking it easy. Leonard overcame the odds to beat Hagler despite a 3 year lay off. No, Hagler was cheated, and if he wasn't, then he fought the wrong fight and a rematch would have been totally different. Bleh.

In any event, I had Duran beating Barkley more clearly on the cards than I had him beating Leonard in Montreal. Opinions will vary.

I had Barkley closer than SRL.. and I honestly can't see it any other way. You had SRL only losing by one round?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #168
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Whereabouts do you think SRL stands as a welterweight?
He was great. Probably top 5.

I'm not an expert on the division historically but guys like Robinson, Armstrong, Gavilan, Napoles, Britton, Burley, Griffith make for stiff competition.

Even so I think SRL's welter work is often 'embellished'. I'm not convinced Hearns was virtually invincible at the weight as some claim, I believe Benitez is a little overrated at 147, and SRL needed two attempts to get past Duran.
I stress that this IS a VERY impressive resume, but at the same time I feel he's trading off a few very strong results that get magnified a bit too much. It would have been interesting to see how he would have staved off challlenges at welterweight from the emerging crop of the 1980s (Curry, Starling, McCrory etc.). But the eye injury etc.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #169
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIron View Post
What the hell.

You are not getting it. I try to keep my cool because this is the classics but sometimes I just can't.

BUSTER DOUGLAS KNOCKED out Prime Tyson. He beat the **** out of Tyson.
Rahman lucky punched a Past Prime Lewis.
Sanders dominated Wladimir.
Brewster beat Wladimir
PURRITY beat Wladimir.
This is a terrible ****ogy. Comparing Duran`s victory over Leonard to Purrity, Douglas and Sanders? Your right Im not getting it.

Im gonna tell you this one time. Stay off the drugs son.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #170
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

It seems like a whole mess of people on Classic don't know when someone is trolling them, no matter how obvious they make it.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #171
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
It seems like a whole mess of people on Classic don't know when someone is trolling them, no matter how obvious they make it.
I know. Its clear that the only guy in here not being crazy is the good Doctor. Everyone else: Duran was no better than Carlos Baldomir. Accept it.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #172
Gesta
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300

Quote:

Ray was a great WW & a great Boxer.

Ray joy boy fans are secretly waiting for a moment that they can crown Ray as the better than Duran & SRR and not be made fun of and so they make a quirp here and a remarke there , **** like Ray was green in the first bout with Duren, he fought Durans fight and bull**** like he was more complete than SRR, the best / second best WW ever etc..... and understandingly people point out that Ray does not have very many defences , had to wait until Hagler was gone to fight him & had to fight an out of shape Duran to beat him the mutiple retirements etc....and they get called Ray haters.
Gesta is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #173
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post

then you get MAG, who doesn't even know he's trolling himself.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #174
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Was Duran a greater lightweight than Leonard was a welterweight?

Was Duran's victory over Leonard greater than Leonard's over Hagler?

Does Duran compare to Leonard resume wise across a whole career?

Does Duran compare to Leonard skillwise in a peak for peak comparison?

Does Duran's weight hopping compare to Leonard's

For casual fans it seems Leonard it the default choice for greater boxer. For hardcore fans it seems Duran is default choice for greater boxer.

I've seen lots of debate on the trilogy between these two but not as much debate on who should be greater and, more importantly, why.
Yes, more dominance also.
Yes, because one was approaching his prime, and another slightly out of it.
Surpasses Leonards's
A little bit less, slight margin of error.
Really Surpasses Leonard's weight hopping, he did more with less.
Still think Leonard's the greater boxer, not by much.
I'm a SRL man, but after the 77-82 version, he was somewhat chump change.As afterfore mentioned, Duran did more with Less, and against some real tough comp.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #175
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I do think Duran edges it but it's very close
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #176
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I do think Duran edges it but it's very close
I agree, i think Duran has it because of what he did through the weight classes and what he did at a later age
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #177
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
The thing that makes the SRL victory as special as it is, is the fact that Leonard didn't lose again until he was well past it fighting at weight classes he shouldn't have been fighting at.
Nobody beat Leonard like that in his prime, or close to it.
I am not sure.. I think he didn't lose because he retired two years later and handpicked the rest of the way. He was knocked down by Lalonde and beaten up by Hearns and then beating Duran again. Had Leonard not retired in 1982 I think he would have had a loss the next two years. He was getting tired. Fact is Hagler and Hearns and Duran never had the wins Leonard did, but they were tougher mentally than Leonard was to have longer careers.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #178
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I don't know what trolling is.I have an idea, but that doesn't seem like what I am doing. I believe what I believe very strongly about Duran and that era. My opinion never changes because I believe Duran was a little overrated in his career and Leonard underrated. Trolling? If that means discussing a topic which I will not change my mind on- I suppose I am trolling. I really don't know what that means.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #179
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #180
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I know. Its clear that the only guy in here not being crazy is the good Doctor. Everyone else: Duran was no better than Carlos Baldomir. Accept it.

Quote:
Lora, during a brief exile from ESB, I was on another site and a Leonard/Duran thread popped up. I went in, looked around, and the only thing I could think to say was that it wasn't any fun without MAG there. Possibly no one there knew what I meant. But, no, I didn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I don't know what trolling is.I have an idea, but that doesn't seem like what I am doing. I believe what I believe very strongly about Duran and that era. My opinion never changes because I believe Duran was a little overrated in his career and Leonard underrated. Trolling? If that means discussing a topic which I will not change my mind on- I suppose I am trolling. I really don't know what that means.
You're a good man, MAG. A good, good man.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum