Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bullet stylee since day UNO ! ! !
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 1000
Default Julian Jackson.....

What little or big can you tell me........about him ?

He hit Herol Graham so hard that Ingle put his gummy back in with his broken up teeth ? (Wherever possible) Herol was a bit upset and....

Gerald Mc never fully recovered after he fought JJ ?

He complained of sore heads etc didnt he ?


Thanks and i would love a good n bad regarding JJ's career.......still tryna check n study Nunns.


HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,865
vCash: 301
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

...

Last edited by TBooze; 01-24-2013 at 05:56 AM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 240
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

I hear he hit pretty hard.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 396
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Jackson was really a pretty competent fighter. As I've said in the past, some of his punching technique is really textbook stuff for a power puncher. Usually fairly well balanced, he turned his body with his big punches or stepped in with them to add leverage and weight to the blows, and in some fights he shows very good fundamentals in areas like punching in combination, attacking the body, even using a jab better than you would expect for a big bomber. He was also pretty ****ing relentless if he thought he had an opponent in trouble, although sometimes he could also get overeager and start to be wild instead of sticking with the somewhat methodical approach he adopted after he was too eager and too wild against McCallum in Jackson's first title fight.

His biggest weaknesses to my mind are his vulnerability to speed, (he usually had his feet planted and looking for the big shot, which makes you always a step behind with someone who moves around the ring) a rather average chin combined with an open defense, he wasn't very good at adapting, and of course, the damage he suffered to his eyes. Jackson suffered a detached retina sometime before 1990, and his famous fight with Graham had to be held outside England because the English boxing board didn't want to license Jackson to fight. By the end of his career he had detached retinas in both eyes, according to what I've heard at least, so he really was reliant purely on bombing his opponents out.

One does wonder what might have been if his eyes hadn't been damaged, or if he had been better managed. I was too young to keep up much with the sport back in Jackson's prime, (much less the politics of it) but I kind of feel like the promoters weren't really sure what to do with him, and were content to keep him as an undercard spectacle against overmatched opponents.

Below are some fights that I think do I good job of showing both Jackson's strengths and weaknesses, even during the better stages of his career.

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

He had such remarkable torque on his punches. If you reaslly think about it, the list of fighters that can actually end a fight at any time with one punch on a routine basis is very small. He was one of those few. Like so many other huge punchers though, he tended to neglect his boxing skills because he KNEW it would only take one shot.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

I'll tell you something he had a pretty good left hook
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 396
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
He had such remarkable torque on his punches. If you reaslly think about it, the list of fighters that can actually end a fight at any time with one punch on a routine basis is very small. He was one of those few.
Yeah, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody so consistently have such a chilling effect on his opponents as Jackson. I'm not just talking about knocking guys out cold, but also so many guys who just got totally disconnected from their bodies, flailing around the ring with limbs going in random directions like they just got a bad electric shock or something.

Or the way their whole body would freeze-up as if some emergency off switch had been thrown. Not to mention the tremendous thuds of Jackson's punches landing... it's really pretty amazing and unique. Part of why I think Jackson deserves the large support he gets for the title of hardest p4p puncher.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
Yeah, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody so consistently have such a chilling effect on his opponents as Jackson. I'm not just talking about knocking guys out cold, but also so many guys who just got totally disconnected from their bodies, flailing around the ring with limbs going in random directions like they just got a bad electric shock or something.

Or the way their whole body would freeze-up as if some emergency off switch had been thrown. Not to mention the tremendous thuds of Jackson's punches landing... it's really pretty amazing and unique. Part of why I think Jackson deserves the large support he gets for the title of hardest p4p puncher.
Yeah, big punchers like that have that odd effect of making it seem their opponent is drowning when you look at their facial expression. Shock, discombobulated panic, then dead calm.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,317
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

I remember McCallum saying that Jackson was lightning fast in that he had no tells and delivered his punches before you knew they were coming. That's why, he said, he had to try and get Jackson out of there so soon, cuz he knew he would be gone himself.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

I used to watch Jackson on Don King's minor PPV network when Jackson was on the way up.

The "Colonel" used to call the fights.

The fight would go 3-4 rds....then Jackson would "pole-axe" the other guy.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Sharp as a sword, the impact of a hammer.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
Grinder
Dude, don't call me Dude
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Could ko all but the highest echelons granite chins. With a chin he would have been almost unbeatable.
Grinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Jamal Perkins
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

the period JJ fought in was a remarkable era for punchers in the 160lbs range. Its mind boggling to consider that JJ and Mclellan with their proclivity for one punch knockouts with the foe actually unconscious before he hit the canvas could make other notable punchers of the time like Mugabi,Benn and McCallum seem a full level below! Mind boggling.
Jamal Perkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
Jackson was really a pretty competent fighter. As I've said in the past, some of his punching technique is really textbook stuff for a power puncher. Usually fairly well balanced, he turned his body with his big punches or stepped in with them to add leverage and weight to the blows, and in some fights he shows very good fundamentals in areas like punching in combination, attacking the body, even using a jab better than you would expect for a big bomber. He was also pretty ****ing relentless if he thought he had an opponent in trouble, although sometimes he could also get overeager and start to be wild instead of sticking with the somewhat methodical approach he adopted after he was too eager and too wild against McCallum in Jackson's first title fight.

His biggest weaknesses to my mind are his vulnerability to speed, (he usually had his feet planted and looking for the big shot, which makes you always a step behind with someone who moves around the ring) a rather average chin combined with an open defense, he wasn't very good at adapting, and of course, the damage he suffered to his eyes. Jackson suffered a detached retina sometime before 1990, and his famous fight with Graham had to be held outside England because the English boxing board didn't want to license Jackson to fight. By the end of his career he had detached retinas in both eyes, according to what I've heard at least, so he really was reliant purely on bombing his opponents out.

One does wonder what might have been if his eyes hadn't been damaged, or if he had been better managed. I was too young to keep up much with the sport back in Jackson's prime, (much less the politics of it) but I kind of feel like the promoters weren't really sure what to do with him, and were content to keep him as an undercard spectacle against overmatched opponents.

Below are some fights that I think do I good job of showing both Jackson's strengths and weaknesses, even during the better stages of his career.

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED
Good analysis, although I'd add that at times he could disregard his defense in looking for the KO punch, partly because like you say he was looking for that 1 bomb with his feet planted
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julian Jackson.....

Is that true about Herol's teeth ?
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013