Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Tunney V Sharkey, Willard, Brennan,Miske, Firpo?

Willard
Firpo
Sharkey
Miske
Brennan

How does the Marine do against these Dempsey opponents?

All boxers as they were against Dempsey.
mcvey is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Tunney V Sharkey, Willard, Brennan,Miske, Firpo?

He outpoints them all.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

He's a favourite to beat all these guys. In reality, of course, this is a tough schedule.

I think Sharkey or Firpo are the best bets to upset him.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Tunney had a great right hand. It was a feared weapon in his time. He beats by decision Willard, Sharkey and Firpo but stops Miske and Brennen.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
Tunney had a great right hand. It was a feared weapon in his time. He beats by decision Willard, Sharkey and Firpo but stops Miske and Brennen.
Miske was only stopped by Dempsey.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Tunney had a great right hand i dont think it was enough to knockout Miske though, id take him outpointing them all though.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

He beats them easy, maybe the Miske that drew with Dempsey gives him a stern test though and Sharkey is a reasonable challenge
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tunney would win all of these matches.

Oddly enough I think Firpo or Willard (the two worst on the list) would have the best chance to beat him. Willard based on his size and strength, and Firpo because he wild aggression might allow him to get lucky.

I dont see either happening though. Willard liked to fight at a snails pace. Over fifteen rounds against Tunney's classic style that would work against him. It would be an awful fight.

I think Tunney is too smart to let Firpo catch him with anything wild. He would hang on on in the inside and punish Firpo with body punches. Tunney was a great bodypuncher.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The combined opponents will be lucky to have won 5 rounds against Tunney.

He whoops them all, just another level of talent really.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He's a favourite to beat all these guys. In reality, of course, this is a tough schedule.

I think Sharkey or Firpo are the best bets to upset him.
I would personaly put Firpo at the bottom of the list in terms of chances of upseting him.

It would be very interesting to see how he would have handeled Willards size, since whe never saw Tunney in with this type of fighter. One Dempsey opponent who might have had a good shot at beating him is Fred Fulton.

Tunney could be beaten by a clever boxer, so Miske, Sharkey and a younger version of tommy Gibbons are all dangerous matches for him. I don't seed Brennan having anything that would trouble him.

Ultimately the question is not whetehr he would be favoured over these guys head to head, but whether he would have beaten them over the sime time frame, in the same circumstances. Tunneys decision to retire left the longevity question unanswered.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Miske wasn't up to much when he matched Dempsey; he'd lost to Levinsky and Norfolk in the run up to that fight. His chances of upsetting Tunney on that kind of form is almost nil.

Tunney only lost to Greb. I don't think he is vulnerable to clever boxer types at all. He thrashed both Carpantier and Gibbons and any trouble Loughran gave him came just before his own formidable prime. I'll take Firpo's puncher's chance over the chance of his actually being out-boxed by this lot any day of the weak. Sharkey might take rounds with a combination of skill and size but I don't see him nicking it.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Ultimately the question is not whetehr he would be favoured over these guys head to head, but whether he would have beaten them over the sime time frame, in the same circumstances. Tunneys decision to retire left the longevity question unanswered.
Well, if he took the long lay-offs Dempsey took, possibly not.

I think Tunney's longevity is decent. He was a world class fighter from 1922 to 1928, six years.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Willard
Firpo
Sharkey
Miske
Brennan

How does the Marine do against these Dempsey opponents?

All boxers as they were against Dempsey.
I am not sure how he would do against the size of Willard? I think Miske has a slim shot, and Sharkey could be interesting. I think he handles Firpo the easiest followed by Brennan. Individually he could beat them all in a gauntlet facing them consecutively he might pick up a loss or two along the way. I wouldn't pick Willard but I feel he has the best shot.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Miske wasn't up to much when he matched Dempsey; he'd lost to Levinsky and Norfolk in the run up to that fight. His chances of upsetting Tunney on that kind of form is almost nil.
It has not been explicitley stated that we are matching Tunney against the Miske that fought Dempsey for the title.

Quote:
Tunney only lost to Greb. I don't think he is vulnerable to clever boxer types at all. He thrashed both Carpantier and Gibbons and any trouble Loughran gave him came just before his own formidable prime.
Loughran was much further removed from his prime than Tunney was, and that is why Tunney knew better than to fight him again.

Quote:
I'll take Firpo's puncher's chance over the chance of his actually being out-boxed by this lot any day of the weak.
That would be a very misguided choice.

A punchers chance against a fighter like Tunney, is a bit like a snowballs chance in hell. Another technical chess player generaly has a chnce with the right plan.

Quote:
Sharkey might take rounds with a combination of skill and size but I don't see him nicking it.
Surely to god he would have more chance than Firpo?
janitor is online now  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
It has not been explicitley stated that we are matching Tunney against the Miske that fought Dempsey for the title.
That's true, Miske might have more chance back in the day. I wouldbn't bet on it though.

Quote:
Loughran was much further removed from his prime than Tunney was, and that is why Tunney knew better than to fight him again.
I personally don't think that Loughran is better than Gibbons and he obviously wasn't better than Greb, so i don't think this holds much water. I don't think a draw over 8 rounds is indicative of Tunney's "form" versus boxers. I think that his KO wins over Gibbons and Carpantier and decision wins versus Levinsky and Smith (neither of which were that close) are far more telling.

Quote:
That would be a very misguided choice.

A punchers chance against a fighter like Tunney, is a bit like a snowballs chance in hell. Another technical chess player generaly has a chnce with the right plan.
Huge punchers KO superby gifted technicians all the time and it was more common in this era than in later eras. I don't think that Firpo would beat Tunney - at all - but I think it is more likely that he would KO Tunney than that Miske would out-box Tunney.

He was only in the neighbourhood of being out-boxed once - both Dempsey and Greb came close to stopping him.

Quote:
Surely to god he would have more chance than Firpo?
Yeah, i would make Sharkey my first choice and Firpo my second. Hyper-aggressive tough punchers are difficult for top pro's because they don't obey the rules. I doubt very many people would be picking Baer to dismantle Schmeling were it not for the fact that it actually happened, but as soon as you have a puncher that aggressive in the ring, shit can happen.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum