Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #61
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
If you asked anyone at a bus stop who Oscar De la Hoya was you'd proberbly get 25% repling "Was he Oscar Wilde's Spanish uncle or that fat cunt italian opera singer, the other 75% would reply "Dunno mate"
You seriously trying to say Hoya was a no name in sport in the UK. Thats the stupidest ****ing thing i ever heard. I thought there was meant to be knowledgeable posters in the classic.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #62
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #63
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Oscar De La Hoya was never famous in the UK.
Never a household name. Nowhere near.
I've hardly ever heard his name mentioned on terrestrial TV. If I said 'Oscar De La Hoya' to the average man or woman in the street, wouldn't know what I meant.

Fighters like Bruno, Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Marvin Hagler back in the day .... even your average senile old granny knew they were boxers - and could tell them apart too !
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #64
Grinder
Dude, don't call me Dude
ESB Senior Member

Johnson vs Jeffries. Black and white. Racial oppression ends.
Grinder is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #65
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Oscar De La Hoya was never famous in the UK.
Never a household name. Nowhere near.
I've hardly ever heard his name mentioned on terrestrial TV. If I said 'Oscar De La Hoya' to the average man or woman in the street, wouldn't know what I meant.

Fighters like Bruno, Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Marvin Hagler back in the day .... even your average senile old granny knew they were boxers - and could tell them apart too !
What the average man or woman on the street has nothing got to do with it. Are these unknown people the judge of who is popular in boxing? Oscars fights were the last of the super fights and he was the biggest draw in boxing including the UK where he fought on SKY PPV. His fight with Felix was called "fight of the millennium". You're wrong and that is a fact.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #66
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
What the average man or woman on the street has nothing got to do with it. Are these unknown people the judge of who is popular in boxing?
Well, you said "Back then everybody watched Oscar, even non boxing fans."

Quote:
Back then everybody watched Oscar, even non boxing fans.
.... but actually most people never heard of him.

Quote:
Oscars fights were the last of the super fights and he was the biggest draw in boxing including the UK where he fought on SKY PPV. His fight with Felix was called "fight of the millennium". You're wrong and that is a fact.
How many people watched him in the UK on SKY PPV ?
Nowhere near as many who watched Hagler-Hearns and Hagler-Leonard and Tyson-Bruno 1.

I don't care if they called it "Fight of the millenium"... in reality, it wasn't even the fight of the year on SKY PPV in the UK
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #67
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

I said sporting fans. I was it was a huge event is sport , not just boxing. Random people on the street couuld't tell you who Floyd Maywether is . You're reasoning is rubbish.
Hagler fought in the 80s. Oscar's big fights were in the late 90's. Are you actually suggesting that for over TEN YEARS Brittian showed no interest in the biggest fight since the 80's and one of the biggest fights of all time that broke record high PPV numbers? You are totally wrong and dont have a clue what you're talking about.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #68
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I said sporting fans. I was it was a huge event is sport , not just boxing. Random people on the street couuld't tell you who Floyd Maywether is . You're reasoning is rubbish.
Mayweather isn't a star in the same sense as Tyson, Leonard, Hagler were either, not in the UK. He's probably less known than Holyfield.

The biggest fights attract non-boxing fans, non-sports fans. When a big fight happens EVERYONE is talking about it, or is next to someone who is talking about it.

Quote:
Hagler fought in the 80s. Oscar's big fights were in the late 90's. Are you actually suggesting that for over TEN YEARS Brittian showed no interest in the biggest fight since the 80's and one of the biggest fights of all time that broke record high PPV numbers? You are totally wrong and dont have a clue what you're talking about.
I'm sure De La Hoya v Trinidad was big fight of the PPV era, in America.
But not so much in the UK.

If you wanna talk numbers, I'm almost certain Lewis v Holyfield 2 was a much bigger PPV fight in the UK.
I'd be surprised if Tyson v Francis wasn't a bigger PPV fight in this country.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #69
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Of course plenty of Random people on the streets of the UK would have heard who Floyd Mayweather is, he beat RICKY HATTON who for your information was an English fighter Your reasoning is RUBBISH

If you think that some yank/mex PPv titelist was the subject of yap in every bar around the globe then you are totally wrong and dont have a clue what you're talking about
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #70
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mayweather isn't a star in the same sense as Tyson, Leonard, Hagler were either, not in the UK. He's probably less known than Holyfield.

The biggest fights attract non-boxing fans, non-sports fans. When a big fight happens EVERYONE is talking about it, or is next to someone who is talking about it.

I'm sure De La Hoya v Trinidad was big fight of the PPV era, in America.
But not so much in the UK.

If you wanna talk numbers, I'm almost certain Lewis v Holyfield 2 was a much bigger PPV fight in the UK.
I'd be surprised if Tyson v Francis wasn't a bigger PPV fight in this country.
Truth

I think DLH got the odd few inches in the sun from Colin Hart but thats about it.

Yeh Evander Holyfield would get people saying, i've heard that name! EAR-BITE! Beat Tyson did'nt he!
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #71
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

What does Leonard, Hagler have to do with anything. They fought in the 80s.

That is the big fight- Post Fight Analysis by Sky and they had the biggest stars in UK boxing at the time on the panel dressed in tuxedos to cover it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hoya/Felix was a huge fight in the UK and is in the record books as one of the biggest fights of all time.. I remember the buzz at the time, maybe you dont.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #72
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
If you think that some yank/mex PPv titelist was the subject of yap in every bar around the globe then you are totally wrong and dont have a clue what you're talking about
He's in his own little world, mate.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #73
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

After Hoya/Felix - Tyson/McNeeley , Tyson/Lewis and Hoya/Mayweather did some of the highest numbers in boxing history.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #74
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
What does Leonard, Hagler have to do with anything. They fought in the 80s.
Yeah, and we're talking about the biggest fights IN HISTORY.

You tried to make out Oscar was big world-wide star and his fights were massive all over the globe, and someone rightly pointed out he wasn't ever really famous in the UK, and didn't attract huge interest.

I could name five or six fights from the 1990s that were bigger in the UK, maybe a dozen.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #75
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah, and we're talking about the biggest fights IN HISTORY.

You tried to make out Oscar was big world-wide star and his fights were massive all over the globe, and someone rightly pointed out he wasn't ever really famous in the UK, and didn't attract huge interest.

I could name five or six fights from the 1990s that were bigger in the UK, maybe a dozen.
He was a huge attraction in UK boxing at the time. Its not my fault you weren't watching. I got facts on my side, all you have is your opinion.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum