Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #106
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal Perkins View Post
Watson beat a very basic version of Benn. That version of Benn was 35% complete. The Miami trained mid 1990 version of Benn was 70% complete. The Benn of 92-95 was 100% and most think he avenged the Eubanks fight only for it to be called a draw. and the benn of 95 destroys any version of Watson so yes he was better much better. Had the most power and handspeed and a very underrated unorthodox bob and weave defence allied with ferocity the other two didnt have.
i disagreee. benn was far m oore than 35% then 70%.

he was prob ablout 75% against watson and he lost convincingly. who is to say watson would not have improved and added to his skillset over time too?

and benn didnt carry his npower up much to super imo. lost that devastating edge to it. still heavy handed but not quite as devastating at middle and he never really cleaned anyone out at super
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #107
Box-Fan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
i disagreee. benn was far m oore than 35% then 70%.

he was prob ablout 75% against watson and he lost convincingly. who is to say watson would not have improved and added to his skillset over time too?

and benn didnt carry his npower up much to super imo. lost that devastating edge to it. still heavy handed but not quite as devastating at middle and he never really cleaned anyone out at super
No, he was a total one trick pony when he fought Watson and was 50% at best, not taking anything away from Watson by the way great win and performance but Benn was FAR from what he became.
Box-Fan is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #108
Jamal Perkins
Journeyman

Benn had everything needed to beat Ward. And people forget but for a judges scoring discepency Benn would have won the Malinga rematch too its moot cos he was finished mentally by than.

The hungry driven Eubanks of 1990-93 would have been a tough match for Ward but Ward wins it

Watson we didnt really see his peak, but on what we did see his style makes for a ward stoppage.

Collins was a very tough man but didnt have the skill set of a benn or eubanks at their peak and i see ward handling him 120-108.

Herol Graham should be included in this thread at his very best he was right on a par with mike mccallum in their fight and he pretty much split 2 with Kalambay.

I think Benn and Graham are very very capable of beating ward at his best
Jamal Perkins is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #109
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal Perkins View Post
Benn had everything needed to beat Ward. And people forget but for a judges scoring discepency Benn would have won the Malinga rematch too its moot cos he was finished mentally by than.

The hungry driven Eubanks of 1990-93 would have been a tough match for Ward but Ward wins it

Watson we didnt really see his peak, but on what we did see his style makes for a ward stoppage.

Collins was a very tough man but didnt have the skill set of a benn or eubanks at their peak and i see ward handling him 120-108.

Herol Graham should be included in this thread at his very best he was right on a par with mike mccallum in their fight and he pretty much split 2 with Kalambay.

I think Benn and Graham are very very capable of beating ward at his best
Malinga deserved the nod in the second fight, clearly.

And how does Ward stop Watson ? Have you seen the punishment he took off Mccallum ? Ward wouldnt stop any 4 of these fighters.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #110
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

How overrated is Benn? Ffs...
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #111
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Watson and Benn both improved after they met.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #112
Jamal Perkins
Journeyman

Theres no way in hell the benn who lost to watson was 75% LOl
He was a one trick pony in early 89. physically he didnt have the stamina or different gears he later developed in tenerife, he didnt have the bob and weave defence nailed,he added lateral movement later too and mentally he didnt have the IQ of later years the boxing skills.

Ward stops Watson . The beating Watson took off Mccallum is irrelevent. Mccallum was a slow burner who administered a slow torturous beating that night. Ward is far fleeter of hand and foot and watson was relativelly one dimensional he was at his best countering and against ward he would be forced to lead like he was against Mccallum.

But i would countenance that by saying its clear Watson would have improved dramatically if his career hadnt been ended in 91 just as benn did.
Jamal Perkins is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #113
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree that Benn was nowhere near his best in 1989. The fighter Watson beat was more or less the same fighter who almost got KO'd by Anthony Logan.

But Watson in 1991 was an improved version too.

I'd pick both of them to beat Ward actually. Maybe it's unfair because I haven't seen Ward truly tested yet.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #114
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benn was in incredible physical condition in 87-89, and was faster and more powerful than the later Benn. He threw about 500 power punches in 5 rounds in that Watson fight, all with max power and lightning speed and every angle imaginable. He wasn't that good, physically, again.

But technically and tactically, he gradually improved wonderfully in a few years.
atberry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum