Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #76
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 765
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
What does Leonard, Hagler have to do with anything. They fought in the 80s.

That is the big fight- Post Fight Analysis by Sky and they had the biggest stars in UK boxing at the time on the panel dressed in tuxedos to cover it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hoya/Felix was a huge fight in the UK and is in the record books as one of the biggest fights of all time.. I remember the buzz at the time, maybe you dont.
Oh come on, Trinidad and De La Hoya was a big fight for the hardcore fan in the UK. The fights in the 80s involving Hagler, Tommy et al were big terrestrial shows. Hagler/Leonard was shown in prime time on a Tuesday evening, on ITV, to an audience that may of been near 10 Million. Trinidad/De La Hoya was shown on SKY to a Million tops (on the Saturday SKY Sports repeat)...
TBooze is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #77
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of England
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
What does Leonard, Hagler have to do with anything. They fought in the 80s.

That is the big fight- Post Fight Analysis by Sky and they had the biggest stars in UK boxing at the time on the panel dressed in tuxedos to cover it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hoya/Felix was a huge fight in the UK and is in the record books as one of the biggest fights of all time.. I remember the buzz at the time, maybe you dont.
WOW

I remember the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ at the time.

You proberbly got a BUZZ due to the fact that you live in a house plastered floor to ceiling in mirrors thus giving the effect that you had an army of mates with you yelping & squealing support for fishnets
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #78
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of England
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Oh come on, Trinidad and De La Hoya was a big fight for the hardcore fan in the UK. The fights in the 80s involving Hagler, Tommy et al were big terrestrial shows. Hagler/Leonard was shown in prime time on a Tuesday evening, on ITV, to an audience that may of been near 10 Million. Trinidad/De La Hoya was shown on SKY to a Million tops (on the Saturday SKY Sports repeat)...
Yeh it's all about terrestrial TV, i remember when Hagler/Duran was shown on ITV at 10pm the following monday after the fight, did 10 million+. Every ****er was home watching it, pubs were empty.

I think Hagler/Mugabi was even put on at 8pm in the evening, i recall my missis setting up the small TV in the kitchin for me to watch it. She had her soaps shyte on in the lounge
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #79
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 191
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Oh come on, Trinidad and De La Hoya was a big fight for the hardcore fan in the UK. The fights in the 80s involving Hagler, Tommy et al were big terrestrial shows. Hagler/Leonard was shown in prime time on a Tuesday evening, on ITV, to an audience that may of been near 10 Million. Trinidad/De La Hoya was shown on SKY to a Million tops (on the Saturday SKY Sports repeat...
I never disputed they were huge fights. That was a different generation. It has nothing to do with my argument. Hoya/Felix was one of the biggest fights of all time and the records books prove that as a fact. Saying only hardcore fans knew who Hoya was is 100% wrong and amazes me to hear that in the classic forum.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #80
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 765
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
I never disputed they were huge fights. That was a different generation. It has nothing to do with my argument. Hoya/Felix was one of the biggest fights of all time and the records books prove that as a fact. Saying only hardcore fans knew who Hoya was is 100% wrong and amazes me to hear that in the classic forum.
If you are using the term 'all-time' in your argument, then you do have to compare with other eras.

The reality is outside of a few Heavyweights, no American boxer has had British mainstream appeal since the 1980s. De La Hoya and Trinidad may of been two of the biggest names in boxing in the 1990's, but as neither was British, that fact did not what register with the mainstream British audience.

The BBC and ITV are ratings driven, and have no doubt if it was felt De La Hoya and Trinidad could get them the ratings, the fight would of been on terrestrial TV. The reality was the fight cost too much for too little ratings for any terrestrial station to show it. So it went to a specialist station, who made up for lack of viewers by charging a premium to watch the fight. If that premium was not paid, the fight would not of even been on in the British market.

That is not the evidence of a huge fight in the UK...
TBooze is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #81
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 191
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Wrong. The biggest fights and sport events went to Sky because they had the money to pay for the syndication. They had the money because they had the most viewers.
Sky wasn't a "specialist station" it was the biggest network in Britan and still is.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #82
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 765
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Wrong. The biggest fights and sport events went to Sky because they had the money to pay for the syndication. They had the money because they had the most viewers.
Sky wasn't a "specialist station" it was the biggest network in Britan and still is.
In Britain the BBC is by far the biggest TV Channel, SKY is not even close, hence the Murdochs constant bitching about the BBC. SKY 'Sports' is a by definition a specialist sports channel. And if SKY gets the highest ratings, then how comes Eastenders, Coronation Street, X Factor et al, are top of the TV ratings? Here is the 'BARB' summary of total viewing to make my point:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

All four combined SKY Sports channels have 2.1% of TV viewing, BBC One on itself has over 20% and combine that with all BBC output the figure rises to over 30% excluding radio.
TBooze is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #83
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EAST L.A
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 1032
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTF View Post
No, I'm not talking about in terms of combined mass in the ring, I'm talking about in terms of publicity and importance to the boxing world. What fight gets that distinction?

I read somewhere that benn v eubank 2 had over a BILLION viewers!

is that important enough?
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #84
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Wrong. The biggest fights and sport events went to Sky because they had the money to pay for the syndication. They had the money because they had the most viewers.
Sky wasn't a "specialist station" it was the biggest network in Britan and still is.
Pal you're so wrong on that many counts. The title of the thread is " What is the biggest fight in boxing history" and you're trying to make a case for Oscar v Trinidad being in the top 5. It simply wasn't and the other posters are right De La Hoya wasn't a household name in the UK.
Well known by boxing fans and some other sports fans but not the average guy in the street.
You're wrong on Sky as well,It is the biggest satellite broadcaster but the viewing numbers would be well down on any fight that was on the main terrestrial broadcasters like the BBC and ITV.
Fighters like Ali,Frazier,Benn,Eubank,McGuighan and Hatton and even Khan everybody knows in the UK but I'm afraid Oscar barely registers
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #85
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

why haven't you faggots mentioned Floyd vs. Oscar?

Technically its the biggest fight in terms of PPV numbers ... some how it surpassed Tyson vs. Holyfield II, which was the biggest heavyweight fight of the 90s.
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #86
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the biggest fight in boxing history?

Floyd v Oscar was just on regular sky nobody was really bothering with it in britain. Ali v Frazier on tape delay done 20 million viewing figures in 1971. Mind boggling!
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013