Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #3001
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Just finished Marcel-Arguello. The version recently posted here has what appears to be 13 rounds of it, which is good enough to get a nice take on it.

Here's the card I hard for the 13 scorable rounds I saw. I think it starts with the second round, and then one other is missing somewhere along the line. Not sure which, so I can't really say who took which rounds. I'm assigning scores to the rounds in the order they appear in the version here.

Arguello: 1,6,7,8,9
Marcel: 2,3,4,5,10,11,12,13

Odd bout in that it seemed very evenly divided into segments that belonged very clearly to one or the other. Arguello surges in the middle rounds, and Marcel does well to hang in there and rally strongly over the final five. Arguello is very well schooled even here at this young age, always following up the one-two with a solid hook behind it, and working that savage uppercut he was so known for. The battering Marcel took to the body had to stay with him for some time, looked brutal. Massive credit to him for coming on late in spite of it.

He found a home early for the lead right, and while his performance was in some ways more uneven and herky-jerky than the more classical approach favored by Arguello here, I thought it was a well-deserved decision. Not a one-sided blowout by any means, in fact I thought it was fairly close. Would have been interesting to see how those other two rounds went, but big thanks to Flea for posting that one up! I'd been looking for it for some time.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #3002
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Just finished Marcel-Arguello. The version recently posted here has what appears to be 13 rounds of it, which is good enough to get a nice take on it.

Here's the card I hard for the 13 scorable rounds I saw. I think it starts with the second round, and then one other is missing somewhere along the line. Not sure which, so I can't really say who took which rounds. I'm assigning scores to the rounds in the order they appear in the version here.

Arguello: 1,6,7,8,9
Marcel: 2,3,4,5,10,11,12,13

Odd bout in that it seemed very evenly divided into segments that belonged very clearly to one or the other. Arguello surges in the middle rounds, and Marcel does well to hang in there and rally strongly over the final five. Arguello is very well schooled even here at this young age, always following up the one-two with a solid hook behind it, and working that savage uppercut he was so known for. The battering Marcel took to the body had to stay with him for some time, looked brutal. Massive credit to him for coming on late in spite of it.

He found a home early for the lead right, and while his performance was in some ways more uneven and herky-jerky than the more classical approach favored by Arguello here, I thought it was a well-deserved decision. Not a one-sided blowout by any means, in fact I thought it was fairly close. Would have been interesting to see how those other two rounds went, but big thanks to Flea for posting that one up! I'd been looking for it for some time.

Yeah, more or less the same way I had it (scored the last couple rounds for Marcel btw). The fight seems quite evenly divided into three parts, with Marcel owning the book-ends and Arguello the middle chapters.

Marcel's durability to withstand the Duran and Arguello barrages stands him in good stead when considering head-to-head match ups with other elite featherweight bruisers like Armstrong, Saldivar and Saddler.

I think Marcel would hang with those guys in the trenches just well enough to stay functional in the latter thirds of those contests without being overwhelmed.

Still don't know if he'd beat them, but he wouldn't get run over imo, all the same.

Sal, any thoughts of how you think Marcel would do against some of the featherweight greats? Your man, Sanchez, for instance?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #3003
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Yeah, more or less the same way I had it (scored the last couple rounds for Marcel btw). The fight seems quite evenly divided into three parts, with Marcel owning the book-ends and Arguello the middle chapters.

Marcel's durability to withstand the Duran and Arguello barrages stands him in good stead when considering head-to-head match ups with other elite featherweight bruisers like Armstrong, Saldivar and Saddler.

I think Marcel would hang with those guys in the trenches just well enough to stay functional in the latter thirds of those contests without being overwhelmed.

Still don't know if he'd beat them, but he wouldn't get run over imo, all the same.

Sal, any thoughts of how you think Marcel would do against some of the featherweight greats? Your man, Sanchez, for instance?
Hmm. Wow. I think stylistically he's all wrong for Sanchez; too much herky-jerky-weird-lead-rights-odd-head-movement type fighting to make a classic stylist comfortable. You then factor in that obvious durability he has and he's just a total nightmare. I would say though, that a more polished, more confident version of Arguello gets him if they fight again. He had the power and killer instinct to do it. I also think a tough swarmer like Armstrong puts him on the back foot enough to control things. Pep? I haven't seen too much prime Pep, not too comfortable picking there.

Marcel and Pedroza would have been really interesting.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #3004
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Must be summat wrong with that file I remember seeing the last round let me look into it
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #3005
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Definitely fancy Marcel's chances against Sanchez, even though I think Sal is too good of a fighter to get beaten easily by anyone. Marcel will still have to work for it, even with the obvious stylistic advantage. If he wins it will be close...

I think Marcel would beat Perdroza too. He's a better outfighter than Eusebio for mine, and I don't think Pedroza can afford to be as aggressive as he'd need to be to force an inside fight. But even there I only think he's as cable as Marcel, not moreso. He looks a flashier inside worker, but he slaps a lot imo, not more effective overall...

Marcel would probably face his toughest featherweight challenges from Nelson, Fenech and Saldivar, if we're talking featherweights of the last 50 years. Not sure what to think about those ones..
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #3006
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Must be summat wrong with that file I remember seeing the last round let me look into it
The last round's there; it's the first, and then one other that are missing. What I did to score it was just list the rounds 1-13 that were there. Meaning round 13 listed here was actually round 15. I had to do it that way because I couldn't determine which round (other than round one) was missing.

It's all good though, thanks a ton for posting that up!
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #3007
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

**** knows how I didn't remember they were missing!

Are the other rounds out there S_S?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #3008
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I think a good jabbing defensive specialist would be the type to hand Sanchez an easy loss.Probably not repeatedly, but initially.

there aren't really many fighters like that at feather though.The better jabbers tended towards textbook box-fighting.

Pep would get it done though.

One of the interesting things about Marcel is despite a very square on bouncey sort of stance, he's so deceptively tough to hit flush with powershots and loading up as long as he's dictating things.

But i wonder if it wouldn't make him a bit less effective and tougher to get his own shots off if he's forced into a pressuring role against an accurate striaght punching minimalist or backfoot spoiler?Maybe that would be his stylistic achilles heel.partly the Leonl hernandez loss(albeit in venezuela) and SD to Serrano in panama that make me wonder that, as much as any speculative technical ponderings.Tough to say without having seen the fights though.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #3009
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Yeah I think a lot of guys look bad against that type of stylist mind.

As for the fight with Sal' it'd be beautiful, but if Marcel boxed him I cannot see how he wouldn't cause him much more grief than Castillo did. I guess Sanchez would then come back into it and the championship rounds would decide it. Marcel mixed it up too much for me to assume he'd make Sal' lead all night, so while he's not a Pep-esque matchup for Sanchez, as above; Sanchez might take too long to get going against a jabber as good as Marcel.

In terms of short title reigns at feather that are so lauded I don't think there's much in it between Sanchez and Marcel at all.

As for the fight with Pedroza I just think Marcel is ether at the things Pedroza did well. That might be harsh, but it's hard not to be awed when Marcel performed as he did against the technical types he did. They have a common opponent; shame Marcel stopping Nemoto isn't out there.

Lora, I haven't seen much of Hernandez (might just be the loss to Arguello) but I find him much more impressive than Serrano even just off that. You get me?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #3010
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

aye, Serrano was nothing special imo.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #3011
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
**** knows how I didn't remember they were missing!

Are the other rounds out there S_S?
Just going off memory there might be some abbreviated rounds and a few 'blackouts' in the fight I have, but I think at least parts of all the rounds are there.

Either that or I simply decided to give Marcel missing rounds.

In my Ernesto fanboy craze, the latter theory is not out of the question
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #3012
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I cannot for the life of me picture Marcel in a close fight with either Serrano or Hernandez, but I could be wrong. Styles do throw up some funny results sometimes...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #3013
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I just remembered Serrano and Henandez actually fought twice.I'm not sure if i have them or not.

None of Serrano's fights stick out in my mind except the Villaflor one and his later losses ad i think i have about half of his title fights.Never watched any of them more than once.He was more boring than Corro.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #3014
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Glad to see it's not just me then.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #3015
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Just going off memory there might be some abbreviated rounds and a few 'blackouts' in the fight I have, but I think at least parts of all the rounds are there.

Either that or I simply decided to give Marcel missing rounds.

In my Ernesto fanboy craze, the latter theory is not out of the question
I'm right there with you on the last one

I'm not giving away Marcel-Shibata but if any of the regulars on here wanna' see it get hold of me on here or YouTube and I'll get it up and send you the link. I'll do the same for LMR-Mims and Greb-Tunney I if anyone's interested.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013