Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rumour: Amateur boxing losing headgear??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Do you have anything to back this up? Damage is caused by linear and angular velocity/forces. Boxing headgear reduces this, especially linear.
Thought it was common knowledge, theres enough information out there. Unless you only listen when you are Talking, thats why the decision was made.
scrap is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Thought it was common knowledge, theres enough information out there. Unless you only listen when you are Talking, thats why the decision was made.
Could you please point me to this information? I've researched this topic before and I didn't come across anything claiming what you're claiming.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Could you please point me to this information? I've researched this topic before and I didn't come across anything claiming what you're claiming.
Im only passing on the opinion, of the leading Neuro surgeon in Britains opinion, mind whats He know, still you live and learn. Google I havent a clue you try it, let me know when you do .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Im only passing on the opinion, of the leading Neuro surgeon in Britains opinion, mind whats He know, still you live and learn. Google I havent a clue you try it, let me know when you do .
If it's not in scientific journal it's not credible, a neurosurgeon isn't an expert on the mechanics of a boxing head guard, there are actual studies looking at the forces imparted with and without a head guard. You can't just say it's safer or it's not without any research, the research that exists suggests it makes a difference as most would think it would. Obviously the material of a head guard has a lower coefficient of restitution than your head and force is dissipated over a longer time, that means decreased energy and force transmitted. Yes it's harder to get knocked out so if you fight for 12 rounds you might take more damage than if you just got sparked out. Getting repeatedly sparked out is more damaging to your brain than anything though.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #20
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If it's not in scientific journal it's not credible, a neurosurgeon isn't an expert on the mechanics of a boxing head guard, there are actual studies looking at the forces imparted with and without a head guard. You can't just say it's safer or it's not without any research, the research that exists suggests it makes a difference as most would think it would. Obviously the material of a head guard has a lower coefficient of restitution than your head and force is dissipated over a longer time, that means decreased energy and force transmitted. Yes it's harder to get knocked out so if you fight for 12 rounds you might take more damage than if you just got sparked out. Getting repeatedly sparked out is more damaging to your brain than anything though.
Thats why theres Rules to avoid it happening, is there not, getting repeatedly K/Od. Think I would find another Hobby.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #21
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

I think a big problem with headgear is that people feel more comfortable getting hit because they have it on. There's also the issue of not being able to see punches from certain angles etc. While it's true that the force is dissipated over a longer period of time resulting in less impact, I think the fact that a lot of people are less bothered about getting hit when they have a headguard on probably outweighs the benefit in some instances.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
I think a big problem with headgear is that people feel more comfortable getting hit because they have it on. There's also the issue of not being able to see punches from certain angles etc. While it's true that the force is dissipated over a longer period of time resulting in less impact, I think the fact that a lot of people are less bothered about getting hit when they have a headguard on probably outweighs the benefit in some instances.
Seems Less impact, results in more impact, theres a lot of people been aware of it, for some time. I blame Newton.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing