Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Re: Jack Dempsey vs larry Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Holmes keeps Dempsey on the end of his jab, Holmes isn't Williard. Scores a late stoppage.
I agree Holmes would win might get knocked down early but will get up and win, but i just hate it when people use the Tunney reference its like using Ali after his layoff in his prime matchups
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I probably think this would be a better than most on either side (I confess that have not read a single post). I think Dempseys combination of quicness both hand and feet as well as his power would keep Holmes off balance. Holmes IMHO started slow but would do just enough to win early rounds in alot of his fights...her Dempsey would not give him such luxery. I think Dempsey storms out of the gate and fires away on Holme's making him even more uncomfortable than the unorthodox Spinks (realizing that dempsey/Spinks are not similar and that Holmes was not prime). Holmes settles in around the 4th, due more to his timing and comfort level of the pace that Dempsey's non-existant fatigue issue that people sometimes alude to. I think by the 11th Holmes will take the lead and hold it through out in a 9-6 type of decision.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Stylistically this certainly favours Dempsey. I expect Dempsey to rattle him with his superior foot speed and make Larry cautious wit ph his combination punching and fire power. When Larry became cautious, not only did he throw the jab less frequently, the amount of straight rights he threw also deteriorated. I don't think Holmes could keep up with the superior work rate and after starting off relatively well, Larry would have all his momentum taken from him in the second half of the fight and stopped in the championship rounds.
Webbiano is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Stylistically this certainly favours Dempsey. I expect Dempsey to rattle him with his superior foot speed and make Larry cautious wit ph his combination punching and fire power. When Larry became cautious, not only did he throw the jab less frequently, the amount of straight rights he threw also deteriorated. I don't think Holmes could keep up with the superior work rate and after starting off relatively well, Larry would have all his momentum taken from him in the second half of the fight and stopped in the championship rounds.
I'm not sure that I agree with Larry throwing less when cautious. He was very cautious against Shavers in their first fight and had his jab pumping as much as ever.

The only thing I could see Dempsey doing to get to Larry is provoking a brawl. Holmes's style is labled as a boxer, maybe a boxer-puncher, but he was a slugger at heart. When someone got to him, he'd become a very dangerous fighter, as Mike Weaver and Tim Witherspoon found out. Holmes prefered to slug his way out of being cornered or when on the ropes, and that's really the only place I see Dempsey having any sort of success against Larry.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #20
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

If Holmes did start slugging thats the way Dempsey would get to him and win other than that Holmes would beat him
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I seem to be the only one so far picking Dempsey to maul his way to a points victory.

Anyways, great fight. Dempsey relentless, nimble on his feet, pounding the body, probably getting over a big right at some point; Holmes doing everything with his feet, uppercuts and jab to make things very difficult for Jack, and showing his own cool and grit. Would love to see this fight.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I do think I've become a believer in Dempsey and his speed/power.

He was able to overwhelm those bigger than he and able to bully those smaller than he. However there's a huge difference between Willard, Fulton, firpo and Holmes.

A prime Holmes from any time before the spoon matchup should outbox Dempsey by wide decision maybe even a late stoppage after peppering him with his jab.

Good fight but and whilst I think Holmes wins, you can never write off someone with that power.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I may have been watching it wrong but Tunney looked stronger than Dempsey to me.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

I think Dempsey was notably past prime against tunney.

I dont even think he was the best hw in the world by the first fight
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I think Dempsey was notably past prime against tunney.

I dont even think he was the best hw in the world by the first fight

He was 31, there isn't anything to substantiate Dempsey being particularly strong.

This would be a schooling of biblical proportions.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Decay View Post
He was 31, there isn't anything to substantiate Dempsey being particularly strong.

This would be a schooling of biblical proportions.
right. But I still think Dempsey was past prime against tunney. And I still don't think he was the best hw out there.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
right. But I still think Dempsey was past prime against tunney. And I still don't think he was the best hw out there.

I think he was past prime but it wouldn't have had much bearing on his physical strength.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

If there were ever a fantasy boxing and I was managing Larry Holmes this is one of two fights that I'd practically keep Holmes away from; Jack Dempsey and Jack Johnson!

Holmes survives a life and death struggle with Dempsey on a 15 round split decision.
Holmes, a great 15 round fighter vs Demsey, a great 20-30 round fighter who knows how to impose his physical will on you without neccessarily being dirty against you unless provoked.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 2011 View Post
If there were ever a fantasy boxing and I was managing Larry Holmes this is one of two fights that I'd practically keep Holmes away from; Jack Dempsey and Jack Johnson!

Holmes survives a life and death struggle with Dempsey on a 15 round split decision.
Holmes, a great 15 round fighter vs Demsey, a great 20-30 round fighter who knows how to impose his physical will on you without neccessarily being dirty against you unless provoked.
Since when is Dempsey a great 20-30 round fighter?
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Larry Holmes all day. He was the bigger man and the better boxer. Quicker hands, sharper straighter punches. The jab would set up the viciouis rightcross.

Even if Dempsey catches him Holmes had great recovery powers and one of the biggest hearts in heavyweight history. Larry Holmes hit hard enough to stop Dempsey in his tracks and once he does that he is in control.

Holmes TKO 7th
ETM is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum