boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #151
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
Once you look at the QUALITY of the opponents, the ratings don't really hold weight. There wasn't much quality and the ones that did, were past their best. Obviously, you still have to give credit to Floyd for winning the fights. There is no question, he is one of the all-time greats. A very complete boxer but his resume has always been overrated IMO.
If you're saying Julio's greater, I agree. There's a lot more that goes into it than a particular rating in a particular division at a particular time. For some of them, they hold real weight. Some not. He's managed to consistently fight remarkably top rated guys for the duration but thats where the debate comes in... Thats why this thread thrived.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #152
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 2146
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

People will only appreciate him when he's retired.
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #153
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
People will only appreciate him when he's retired.
I will miss him.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #154
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 681
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

I already miss him now and he's NOT retired.

I'm at the Mayweather gym once a year and I want to see him/Leonard/Jones/Roger/Jeff.

Anyways, Mayweather is the greatest fighter in this era.

15-20 ATG list. Deal with it, Pac****s/Juan****s/Ray Leo****s

When Floyd retires, he will be 46-0 (3 more fights) with wins over Canelo, Ghost, Pac.
MVC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #155
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LOS ANGELES
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
If you're saying Julio's greater, I agree. There's a lot more that goes into it than a particular rating in a particular division at a particular time. For some of them, they hold real weight. Some not. He's managed to consistently fight remarkably top rated guys for the duration but thats where the debate comes in... Thats why this thread thrived.
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #156
Elite
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The World
Posts: 605
vCash: 143
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
Elite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #157
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
I know.

Quality assessment, though.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #158
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeleReid View Post
Who give a **** about Floyd.
Vitali was knocked out cold by Pele Reid and had to be dragged out on his legs.
Is Floyd honestly relevant now at a time like this?
That's old news. There just wasn't any video evidence for it.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #159
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
BORKED
hahaha never gets old
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #160
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 1119
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
If you're saying Julio's greater, I agree. There's a lot more that goes into it than a particular rating in a particular division at a particular time. For some of them, they hold real weight. Some not. He's managed to consistently fight remarkably top rated guys for the duration but thats where the debate comes in... Thats why this thread thrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Too much gets made of Floyd's quality of opponent. Mayweather usually fights guys coming off of good wins.
It's also very important to consider the manner in which he wins. That is, Floyd typically wins 10 of 12 rounds.

I can't think of a fighter who so easily disposed of nearly every opponent he's ever faced. Not all, obviously, but about 35 of his 43 fights (and probably more like 37-3 were unbelievably one sided. Utter dominance. Can't do nothing but pull up a chair and enjoy the ride.

I for one will def. miss Floyd when he hangs 'em up. I'm just glad we have at least one more fight to look forward to
bjl12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #161
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
It's also very important to consider the manner in which he wins. That is, Floyd typically wins 10 of 12 rounds.

I can't think of a fighter who so easily disposed of nearly every opponent he's ever faced. Not all, obviously, but about 35 of his 43 fights (and probably more like 37-3 were unbelievably one sided. Utter dominance. Can't do nothing but pull up a chair and enjoy the ride.

I for one will def. miss Floyd when he hangs 'em up. I'm just glad we have at least one more fight to look forward to
Definitely.

Dominance weighs heavily for me. Depending on the level and extent of it, it surpasses plenty of others who may of had better resumes. Nothing is truly objective with it, and it's dependent on your criteria too, I guess. There will undoubtedly be some inconsistentcy there though which is why I stopped compiling pointless 'lists' for the most part.
NWS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #162
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: STL
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal-T-Bag View Post
hahaha never gets old
Well is this true?
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #163
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: STL
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
BORKED
This
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #164
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
This
NWS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #165
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

#hail
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015