Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mark deMori - On HBO or Showtime (Don King)

The ' wrecking machine' will sink as soon as he's matched against someone with a pulse.
roscoe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserh View Post
DKP promise the world and delivers nothing.
Nothing that doesn't make him a whole lot of money anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
The ' wrecking machine' will sink as soon as he's matched against someone with a pulse.

persactly!
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 2524

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post

Wilder his next opponent? I wouldn't bet against it.
. Golden Boy and DKP can't make a solid card with their HW as the headline, and alternatively, they can't put on a decent headline for these guys to fight underneath.

This is why they are managers, the grand finale (career ending KTFO) will make more money than all of the bum fights combined. The system is to designed to fail the fighters and chew them up.

Deontay and DeMori would probably fight each other tomorrow and both could care less about the 0 or 1 loss against their name. The wooden spooner isn't forced the face the premiers every year like other sports, the promoters are the cowards not the fighters. Scared of money or lack there of. You could super impose those two surnames with any other in boxing and the statement would rarely change. PAC v MAY blah blah blah. Fight fans are impatient and that's why most of them ****ed off to UFC.
The fighters aren't any less disposable but they fight the big fights because its compulsory.
The belt holder should not be negotiating who the opponent is, just the venue and the coin.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbro View Post
. promoters are the cowards not the fighters.
no. demori has signed twicw with king, with an agreement in place not to fight anyone in the top 150 unless king picks them.

demori refuses to fight leapai constantly. he is a gutless coward that bashes old men and novices. he is the epitomy of boxings drudgery.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
. Golden Boy and DKP can't make a solid card with their HW as the headline, and alternatively, they can't put on a decent headline for these guys to fight underneath.

This is why they are managers, the grand finale (career ending KTFO) will make more money than all of the bum fights combined. The system is to designed to fail the fighters and chew them up.

Deontay and DeMori would probably fight each other tomorrow and both could care less about the 0 or 1 loss against their name. The wooden spooner isn't forced the face the premiers every year like other sports, the promoters are the cowards not the fighters. Scared of money or lack there of. You could super impose those two surnames with any other in boxing and the statement would rarely change. PAC v MAY blah blah blah. Fight fans are impatient and that's why most of them ****ed off to UFC.
The fighters aren't any less disposable but they fight the big fights because its compulsory.
The belt holder should not be negotiating who the opponent is, just the venue and the coin.
Agree with a lot of what you have written.

My criticism of Mark de Mori has always been to do with the level of opponents he's fought. Having a 20-1-2 record means absolutely jack shit if you have never beaten anyone. The pattern for fighters like this is they eventually fight someone with a pulse and get absolutely schooled, and all because they've never fought a competitive opponent.

As you said above "a system that is to designed to fail".

UFC certainly have it all over boxing when it comes to match-ups. Boxing is by far and away its own worst enemy.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #22
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
no. demori has signed twicw with king, with an agreement in place not to fight anyone in the top 150 unless king picks them.

demori refuses to fight leapai constantly. he is a gutless coward that bashes old men and novices. he is the epitomy of boxings drudgery.
I agree with your sentiment to the point that I think the opponents would be worse without DKP. That was the folly with the second contract.
20-1-4 would be a more marketable record at this stage of his career if the losses were against Brown, Lepai and Nigelbro.
Perhaps not Nigelbro.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #23
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The more ex-fighters that turn into managers, the better the sport will be. Unfortunately it's hard to make it to that age without being exploited, ripped off, jaded or injured beyond repair. The best and most dedicated people are the pawns and they end up with a chip on their shoulder. Justifiably.
Watch that Kerry Packer War on Cricket show. The players were the commodity and put first. Pro boxing has an over representation of middlemen between the punter and his cash, and the fighter and his well being.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #24
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
I agree with your sentiment to the point that I think the opponents would be worse without DKP. That was the folly with the second contract.
20-1-4 would be a more marketable record at this stage of his career if the losses were against Brown, Lepai and Nigelbro.
Perhaps not Nigelbro.
To much emphasis is placed on the raw numbers of fighter's records. The raw numbers are nothing more than the cover of a book, and you know what they say about judging a book by its cover.

To evaluate a fighter you need to look past the raw numbers and see who they have actually fought, and in turn who those fighters have fought.

It's been suggested that it's hard to get de Mori fights because he's 20-1 or whatever. But his matchmaker needs to present a more detailed look at de Mori's record and point out that he's never actually beaten anyone. That way he should get more takers.

Fighters with good raw numbers are a dime a dozen these days and people need to look beyond the cover.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #25
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
To much emphasis is placed on the raw numbers of fighter's records. The raw numbers are nothing more than the cover of a book, and you know what they say about judging a book by its cover.

To evaluate a fighter you need to look past the raw numbers and see who they have actually fought, and in turn who those fighters have fought.

It's been suggested that it's hard to get de Mori fights because he's 20-1 or whatever. But his matchmaker needs to present a more detailed look at de Mori's record and point out that he's never actually beaten anyone. That way he should get more takers.

Fighters with good raw numbers are a dime a dozen these days and people need to look beyond the cover.
Spot on. It is only emphasised with Wilder. The only thing separating Wilders last few opponents from the average punter was dignity. No one else felt like getting knocked out on that particular night in front of a camera. Ability or fitness were not applicable.
If I'm an up-and-comer I'm steering clear in case he closes his eyes and chips me by chance, he is awkward,tall, unique for various reasons. Not knowing how hard he can be tested makes it worse.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #26
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Spot on. It is only emphasised with Wilder. The only thing separating Wilders last few opponents from the average punter was dignity. No one else felt like getting knocked out on that particular night in front of a camera. Ability or fitness were not applicable.
If I'm an up-and-comer I'm steering clear in case he closes his eyes and chips me by chance, he is awkward,tall, unique for various reasons. Not knowing how hard he can be tested makes it worse.
Agree on Deontay Wilder. I've watched and posted vids of his recent fights and his opponents have been similarly bad to many of Mark's, and that means awful.

The difference with Wilder is he has amateur pedigree. Having won golden gloves, US national titles and a medal at an Olympics when no other American boxer managed to. He appears to be being taken along very slowly and genuinely groomed for bigger things. Whereas Mark de Mori looks like he's being treated more like a turkey being fattened up for thanksgiving.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #27
Totalpac
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What are thoughts on Wilder's boxing skill Spider? Watching his last and hearing before hand his plan was to work on his jab and movement, which he did more than normal, I thought it looked very average. Zero pop, rarely found the mark it was intended for and left him wide open for any counter.

No doubt Wilder's right is as legit as any HW's, but as you said considering his amateur pedigree I was genuinely surprised how lacking his left seems to be.

I thought the last fight showed him up more than any of his previous.
Totalpac is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #28
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpac View Post
What are thoughts on Wilder's boxing skill Spider? Watching his last and hearing before hand his plan was to work on his jab and movement, which he did more than normal, I thought it looked very average. Zero pop, rarely found the mark it was intended for and left him wide open for any counter.

No doubt Wilder's right is as legit as any HW's, but as you said considering his amateur pedigree I was genuinely surprised how lacking his left seems to be.

I thought the last fight showed him up more than any of his previous.
I haven't studied him too closely TBH, but I have been surprised at how loose he is. His biggest advantages are his height and reach and he certainly doesn't make maximum use of them. Wilder strikes me as a guy who fights a bit too angry too, and that only tenses him up.

Having said all that, Wilder can hit guys from a long way away, and hard.

I have a gut feeling, and nothing more, that Wilder might be a bit better than his detractors think. But like de Mori, we won't know how good or otherwise he is until he's genuinely tested.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #29
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Agree on Deontay Wilder. I've watched and posted vids of his recent fights and his opponents have been similarly bad to many of Mark's, and that means awful.

The difference with Wilder is he has amateur pedigree. Having won golden gloves, US national titles and a medal at an Olympics when no other American boxer managed to. He appears to be being taken along very slowly and genuinely groomed for bigger things. Whereas Mark de Mori looks like he's being treated more like a turkey being fattened up for thanksgiving.
It's interesting that Golden Gloves, national titles and are Olympics are organised and you fight who you are matched against. The only criteria is weight. Record means nothing. From this I would assume Wilder is indeed willing to step in so his courage should not be queried. Let him fight.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #30
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
It's interesting that Golden Gloves, national titles and are Olympics are organised and you fight who you are matched against. The only criteria is weight. Record means nothing. From this I would assume Wilder is indeed willing to step in so his courage should not be queried. Let him fight.
Agreed, and mugs don't win those honours, particularly all three like Wilder has. Wilder does though have the look of someone who has got by largely on his size and natural talent, and perhaps not been schooled as well as he might otherwise have been.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum