Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #61
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Should there be manditory contenders in MMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp1 View Post
Sonnen is the ass kisser in that example. Diaz could easily be considered a voluntary defense. GSP just fought his mandatory in Condit, now he can choose. Still can have the fan fights, but make sure there is at least 1 mandatory a year. Silva cant keep fighting the likes of Bonnar and Sonnen without facing who should be the real top challenger. And the top contender doesnt even necessarily have to be the best fighter. I dont consider David Haye the top contender, but I consider him the best fighter not named Wlad
Silva vs Bonnar was a late-notice fight put together to salvage a card where several fights, including a main-event title fight, had to be scrapped due to injuries. Anderson took the opportunity to fight in Brazil and save the event.

And the consensus top challenger for Silva has been sidelined by injury for several months, and won't be back in the near future.

Plus, Sonnen WAS the top challenger for Silva. The rematch was both the biggest and the most competitive MW title challenge that could be made.

Agreed that Sonnen-Jones is a little bit of a pisstake, but it's not like there are lots of LHW contenders ready to challenge Jones. All the big-name guys, he's already wiped them out in one-sided fashion. Except for Hendo, who hasn't fought since 2011 and whose last performance wasn't as impressive as Gustafsson's was against the same opponent.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #62
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
158 GSP vs Diaz will have a WW tournament

At 01:30
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Yep, I like this. Makes it more enjoyable and more followable (for me).

I'd like to see it done further, it creates excitement, and gives fighters a chance to quickly redeem themselves in a sport where it's common for the best guys to lose.

MMA can be one of the most honest sports out there, but it isn't.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #63
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Silva vs Bonnar was a late-notice fight put together to salvage a card where several fights, including a main-event title fight, had to be scrapped due to injuries. Anderson took the opportunity to fight in Brazil and save the event.

And the consensus top challenger for Silva has been sidelined by injury for several months, and won't be back in the near future.

Plus, Sonnen WAS the top challenger for Silva. The rematch was both the biggest and the most competitive MW title challenge that could be made.

Agreed that Sonnen-Jones is a little bit of a pisstake, but it's not like there are lots of LHW contenders ready to challenge Jones. All the big-name guys, he's already wiped them out in one-sided fashion. Except for Hendo, who hasn't fought since 2011 and whose last performance wasn't as impressive as Gustafsson's was against the same opponent.

Yes...I meant Silva fighting Bonnar and Jones fighting Sonnen. Funny, each fought or his fighting someone in the others weightclass.
macp1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum