Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #106
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,741
vCash: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Geographically speaking Hitler really did not have much choice but to fight on two fronts he should have read War & Peace first though, Marshall Kutuzov's strategy was repeated by Zhukov.

Do you think Stalin would have stayed passive once Hitler was fully committed to Western Europe?
ps
Dempsey stops Greb late, after being behind on the score cards.

He takes out Wills early.
it's a shame we have to speculate how Dempsey would fare against his two best challengers.

If only he had hitlers ball eh?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #107
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,961
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
it's a shame we have to speculate how Dempsey would fare against his two best challengers.

If only he had hitlers ball eh?
If only Hitler had Dempsey's attitude to going to war, the world might have been spared a really grisly 6 years.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #108
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,961
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Why would he have Greb as a sparring partner for Miske? Why would he have Jock Malone and Terry Keller as sparring partners for Willard? Why would he have Bermondsey Billy Wells as a sparring partner for Gibbons?

When it comes to anything related to Greb I'll take his word over anybody elses any day of the week. Ive never met anyone who has done the research on a single fighter that he has done on Greb.

So you are saying that Dempsey asked Greb, who never trained anyone in his life, to train him for a massive fight after a three year layoff?

Was he just going to fire Jerry the Greek Luvadis who was his trainer?

Has anyone else ever heard of Dempsey asking Greb to train him?

Ive heard the old story of Dempsey asking Greb to spar with him and Greb refusing saying he would feel like a thief taking Dempsey's money. Which is what Steve was referring to. I have never heard it said that Dempsey asked Greb to train him but admittedly when Ive read the sources from this time period Ive been looking more into Wills' battle to prevent the fight than Dempsey's actual training.

You are keen about replies. I asked you for a simple source for your story about Dempsey asking Greb to train him and his response. Unless you are as low as you think Steve was then you should have no problem giving me a contemporary source.

Beyond that basic point, which I dont really see as all that important, Steve makes a pretty convincing argument. Thoughts?
I didn't say Compton was low. The fact that he has done some research on Harry Greb does not prompt me to lick his arse, I found him to be unnecessarily agressive when anyone did not slavishly agree with him, and very rude to certain posters who were several decades older than him.

Not my cup of tea but I'm certain I would not be his either.
I didn't care for the way he traduced the writer of the recent Greb book, it seemed rather sour grapes ,as though his thunder had been stolen,and was in marked contrast to how Adam Pollack acts towards those who have written biographies on the same subject as himself.
To be frank, I would be surprised if Compton's book ever sees the light of day.
I may ferret out the source of that quote , but I'm not fussed if you believe it or not, to be truthful.

You just eat up Compy's crumbs.

Dempsey had Bill Tate as his principal sparring partner for Willard, tall powerful guy= Willard?

For Miske, Dempsey used Marty Farrell middleweight, Greb Lhvy,Tate HVy.Tate was used ,[like Godfrey,] because he could absorb Dempsey's shots]
Miske had George Wilson and Jack Heinen.

Replies don't bother me one way or the other, I'm just passing the time ,amusing myself here.
Which reminds me ,its time for bed.

Last edited by mcvey; 01-25-2013 at 05:09 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #109
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
If only Hitler had Dempsey's attitude to going to war, the world might have been spared a really grisly 6 years.
Only 6?

Better read your history, bro.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #110
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I didn't say Compton was low. The fact that he has done some research on Harry Greb does not prompt me to lick his arse, I found him to be unnecassarily agressive when anyone did not slavishly agree with him, and very rude to certain posters who were several decades older than him.

Not my cup of tea but I'm certain I would not be his either.
I didn't care for the way he traduced the writer of the recent Greb book, it seemed rather sour grapes ,as though his thunder had been stolen,and was in marked contrast to how Adam Pollack acts towards those who have written biographies on the same subject as himself.
To be frank, I would be surprised if Compton's book ever sees the light of day.
I may ferret out the source of that quote , but Im not fussed if you believe it or not, to be truthful. You just eat up Compy's crumbs.
Dempsey had Bill Tate as his principal sparring partner for Willard, tall powerful guy= Willard?

For Miske, Dempsey used Marty Farrell middleweight, Greb Lhvy,Tate HVy.Tate was used ,[like Godfrey,] because he could absorb Dempsey's shots]
Miske had George Wilson and Jack Heinen.

Replies don't bother me one way or the other, I'm just passing the time ,amusing myself here.
Which reminds me ,its time for bed.
I asked Steve a question about comments you posted because hes the one person I know whose knowledge on the subject is extensive. That includes you.

Thats a far cry from licking his arse.

Whatever you have against him doesnt concern me. I just couldnt help but notice you can be accused of exactly the same things you seem to dislike about him (which might be why you two didnt get along).

With that being said I'll assume that you arent answering all my questions and instead went on a diatribe against a guy who cant defend himself because you cant answer the questions and were just talking out of your arse.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #111
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 75
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
The Dempsey-bashing here gets pretty boring.
But sometimes it's so absurd it's funny, it's like a weird sub-cult of a sub-cult of an obscure corner of an obscure corner of the internet.
The backlash is well deserved. The facts, not opinions, facts...are that he failed to meet his two most outstanding contenders his whole career, was outboxed by a morbidly obese ex-flyweight and sparked in one by career fireman/part time boxer with a losing record.

Now, this would all be fine, if the wrinklys weren't calling him the greatest HW ever. Derp derpstock and Shitnose have him top 5 P4P even.

There also seems to be a connection between Ali-haters and Dempsey praisers, this is the same crowd. Thats you Shay Given, in the company of undesirables such as Johnstown and pepe le bitch. Its a laughable position and i question the agenda of anyone who takes it
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #112
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
The backlash is well deserved. The facts, not opinions, facts...are that he failed to meet his two most outstanding contenders his whole career, was outboxed by a morbidly obese ex-flyweight and sparked in one by career fireman/part time boxer with a losing record.

Now, this would all be fine, if the wrinklys weren't calling him the greatest HW ever. Derp derpstock and Shitnose have him top 5 P4P even.

There also seems to be a connection between Ali-haters and Dempsey praisers, this is the same crowd. Thats you Shay Given, in the company of undesirables such as Johnstown and pepe le bitch. Its a laughable position and i question the agenda of anyone who takes it
Always a pleasure, Pachilles.

1. Portraying all the attacks on Dempsey as a 'backlash' doesn't wash. It's a strawman.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've personally stated that Wills and Greb were more deserving than the challengers Dempsey beat, and that Dempsey almost certainly looked for easier prey for big money when he was champ. Basically agreeing with the fair and reasonable protests of his critics here on ESB.

But of course that's not good enough for the likes of you, because I also hold the opinion that Dempsey did some good stuff and was in fact a great fighter with some great performances under his belt. That's enough to provoke more of the 'backlash'

That I state the positives alongside the negatives puts me in the 'Dempsey-worshipping' camp, because for you and Lord Tywin and others, even Seamus, every post about Dempsey has to be full of negativity and ridicule.
That's the truth of it, and you know.


2. You're obssessed with Willie Meehan and Fireman Jim Flynn.

3. I don't know where you get the idea that I'm an Ali-hater.
Admittedly, I am one of those heretics who doesn't think he was Mandela, Gandhi, Superman and Batman rolled into one, the bringer of world peace in our lifetime.
But maybe I used to, when I was about 14.
He was an awesome fighter and a 24-carat superstar.

You seem to be WAY MORE sensitive about Ali than anyone around here is about Dempsey (apart from perhaps burt.)
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #113
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,961
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Only 6?

Better read your history, bro.

I was thinking specifically about the war years 1939-1945

Of course America's war was considerably shorter.

My partners family come from Cork, but I don't think that makes us brothers Seamus.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #114
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,961
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
I asked Steve a question about comments you posted because hes the one person I know whose knowledge on the subject is extensive. That includes you.

Thats a far cry from licking his arse.

Whatever you have against him doesnt concern me. I just couldnt help but notice you can be accused of exactly the same things you seem to dislike about him (which might be why you two didnt get along).

With that being said I'll assume that you arent answering all my questions and instead went on a diatribe against a guy who cant defend himself because you cant answer the questions and were just talking out of your arse.
I didn't say you licked his arse, I said that just because he had done some research on Greb ,did not mean I was prepared to lick it.
Mr Compton often gave the impression of thinking himself superior to the rest of us ordinary Classic posters , and I'm far from alone in that opinion.
If you wish to get an overall opinion on the esteem Mr Compton was held on this Forum the posts are there to view. In fact one was put up yesterday .
For the record I have not done any extensive research on any boxer ,and I make no claims to be an expert in any field of pugilism, there are many , many , posters more knowledgeable than myself, and I am indebted to them for informing ,and educating me on subjects pertaining to boxing.
I am just an ordinary fan of the sport, no more , no less.

I said I may look for the quote, but I also said I don't care if you believe me or not , the reason being your opinion is of no value to me.


The reason Klompton cannot defend himself on here is because he was banned for being a rude ,obnoxious, up his own arse, smug , pompous cunt.
Pity really because he had a lot of useful input to contribute, but sadly he was incapable of doing so without combining it with a massive self -aggrandizment agenda.

Engaging him in debate was akin to paying for a , " rent an argument."

I see you have resorted to personal insults ,why am I not suprised?

Was I less than complimentary towards Mr Compton?

I won't retaliate , as I said , your opinion is of no value to me.
Now you take care , and eat up all your crumbs.

Last edited by mcvey; 01-25-2013 at 05:39 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #115
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

I agree with you, mcvey.
I dunno why the guy was banned, I was banned for ages too.

I actually thought the guy was a bit unhinged. Took himself and his subject way way way too seriously. Unhealthily so.
I mean we're all borderline cases, but he was like ten yards across the border.

And he definitely slipped a lot of unsubstantiated agenda-driven claims in his aguments, drew some very biased conclusions from facts, passing them off as more fact, not opinion, and tended to get away with it because he'd done a lot of good solid research on Greb and the era. And if someone called him up on his dodgy stuff, he'd either go silent or go nuts.
"Joe Louis broke Marciano's nose and knocked his front teeth out" being a good example.

Anyway, no one said boxing historians weren't supposed to be nuts.
I really hope he finishes that Harry Greb book, I wish him all the best in that respect, good luck to him.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #116
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,208
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Let's agree to leave that there though gents please, and drag the disagreement back to boxing rather than a poster that doesn't post here any more.

Also, Pachiles, could you stop referring to other posters as shitface and derp or whatever it was as a matter of course please? It causes trouble. Thanks.

Nothing banworthy here but it is getting into that sort of neighborhood. Since becoming a moderator, i've handed out a sum total of one day in bans to Classic posters who i recognise. I'd like to keep it that way please.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #117
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

I hear you, McG.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #118
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,961
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Let's agree to leave that there though gents please, and drag the disagreement back to boxing rather than a poster that doesn't post here any more.

Also, Pachiles, could you stop referring to other posters as shitface and derp or whatever it was as a matter of course please? It causes trouble. Thanks.

Nothing banworthy here but it is getting into that sort of neighborhood. Since becoming a moderator, i've handed out a sum total of one day in bans to Classic posters who i recognise. I'd like to keep it that way please.
Fine with me, I didnt insult any member on this thread.

It's weird that a fight that could reasonably be seen as a toss up should engender such heat.

Quite how Harry Greb factors in with Dempsey and Langford's respective chances against each other, is way too esoteric for me anyway.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #119
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
If only Hitler had Dempsey's attitude to going to war, the world might have been spared a really grisly 6 years.
In fairness Dempsey did end up as Lt in the coast guard during WWII...which doesnt sound impressive, but the coast guard did do some actual fighting, and from what I understand he was in danger.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #120
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,961
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I agree with you, mcvey.
I dunno why the guy was banned, I was banned for ages too.

I actually thought the guy was a bit unhinged. Took himself and his subject way way way too seriously. Unhealthily so.
I mean we're all borderline cases, but he was like ten yards across the border.

And he definitely slipped a lot of unsubstantiated agenda-driven claims in his aguments, drew some very biased conclusions from facts, passing them off as more fact, not opinion, and tended to get away with it because he'd done a lot of good solid research on Greb and the era. And if someone called him up on his dodgy stuff, he'd either go silent or go nuts.
"Joe Louis broke Marciano's nose and knocked his front teeth out" being a good example.

Anyway, no one said boxing historians weren't supposed to be nuts.
I really hope he finishes that Harry Greb book, I wish him all the best in that respect, good luck to him.
I hope he finishes it too, I'll probably buy it if he does, but I doubt it will see the light of day.

ps You were banned at my suggestion.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013