Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Jorge Ahumada vs. Yaqui Lopez

One bad-ass from the early 70's vs. a bad-ass from the late 70's or a bit of in between. Both non-champs who took champions to the limit, giving no quarter.
I'd love to have been ringside with my dog and beer to see this epic "chess-slug-match"
jowcol is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Jorge Ahumada vs. Yaqui Lopez

Apart from the Rossman win, of the top of my head, i struggle to think of a top scalp claimed by Yaqui, he usually seemed to be the gallant loser, John Conteh probably handled him easiest, a one handed Conteh at that, but that is more a tribute to Conteh and his versatility, perhaps i am being a bit unfair to Lopez, perhaps a few compassionate refs would of Pulled him off of Saad Muhammed in the 2nd fight when he hammered with an absolute fusillade of Punches, and their probably would not of been too many complaints outside of the Saad camp, Saad was indeed close to being Sad that night, Lopez's losses to Galindez were close perhaps more because of Victors Coasting habits, James Scott and Mike Spinks had to overcome very vigorous resistence from a faded Yaqui, they say timing is everything, and perhaps Lopez would of won a few more top bouts if he had fought these opponents at his best...instead of at theirs. .

Jorge, of course is often seen a Galindez's Whipping boy, but Victor didnt have it so easy when he took on a Jorge in their 4th fight, with Jorge nearer his prime, perhaps due to styles, Jorge the Bulldozer couldnt quite overcome Victor the Tank, but Jorge did have some good nights, looking very Good in blasting out Bobby Cassidy, and perhaps he was hard done by with that Draw against the aging Bob Foster, I remember thinking that when he lost to John Conteh, not many other Lt Heavy's would have the abilty, and if they did have the ability, the Ability to sustain that ability, in the face of Jorges toughness, and aggression, to keep him off for 15 rounds,

so really two tough talented guys, nearly men who came along during a very rich vein of lt Heavy's, it might be a coin toss, but i cant help but think that Alvaro for some reason falls short on the big occassion, Jorge Closely on points for me, i think i favour his general consistency over Lopez's sprodic excellant fightbacks...
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Lovely post.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Both Ahumada and Lopez fought top notch competition, but if I had to make a choice, it would probably be Jorge on a majority decision, as stated before, Yaqui was the gallant loser, but if the fight was more on the late 70's side, Lopez would win the majority decision.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Flea Man - Thats most kind of you, ! You are a Butterfly gentleman in my eyes !
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
ehhhh....this is akward....am I in the right forum???
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
I'm not sure what a 'Butterfly gentleman' is but the latter part ensures me it's a compliment so thank you Sir. Always enjoy your posts.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum