Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: luke campbell to matchroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It seems Eddie's suffering the same thing when it comes to Froch...
how do you work that out?
USA Rob is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
how do you work that out?
It's on PPV because Eddie has overestimated his own fighter's value. Froch can't generate the 4m to cover his and Kessler's purse and Kessler doesn't drive PPV in the UK.

I think Eddie's going to make a big loss on this card.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
will you be the same guy calling him shit when he isn't british champ after 6 months?
When did I call him shit?

He's a very good pure boxer; good mobility & handspeed & he throws nice straight shots.

That doesnt mean he's gonna be a great pro, Luke is very upright, doesnt look especially strong & doesnt have much power.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It's on PPV because Eddie has overestimated his own fighter's value. Froch can't generate the 4m to cover his and Kessler's purse and Kessler doesn't drive PPV in the UK.

I disagree. I think this fight will do well. 18,000 in the arena paying a premium and a healthy PPV audience. The fight is also co-promoted with Sauerland. So Danish PPV, German TV and Showtime/HBO will also be in the pot.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
When did I call him shit?

He's a very good pure boxer; good mobility & handspeed & he throws nice straight shots.

That doesnt mean he's gonna be a great pro, Luke is very upright, doesnt look especially strong & doesnt have much power.
was more a dig at everyone. people will say he has an am style and needs time, and then 6 months into the pro career there pissed of there not fighting 12 rounders.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
I disagree. I think this fight will do well. 18,000 in the arena paying a premium and a healthy PPV audience. The fight is also co-promoted with Sauerland. So Danish PPV, German TV and Showtime/HBO will also be in the pot.
Ah, but Eddie gets none of that money, hence the co-promotion. Eddie's responsible for all of the costs but only gets part of the revenue.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I genuinely don't see what GBP is doing with these plans. It's done a decent job of mounting good local cards and getting them some smaller broadcast deals in the US, but how will that work in the UK?

There's only three channels - and two of them are on pay platforms and one of those is already locked down to one contractor. Unless that's the point...

But there's no outlet, so unless GBP is looking to subcontract to others like Coldwell, Hatton and Hayemaker... I just don't get the point.
Henessey has said he is prepared to work with GBP as well as Hearn. Not sure about Frank.
I Shot JR is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Have to agree with this- can't see Hearn making a profit from the card. It seems as if he is letting his heart rule his head with this one.
I Shot JR is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ah, but Eddie gets none of that money, hence the co-promotion. Eddie's responsible for all of the costs but only gets part of the revenue.
Source?

If its a co-promotion that would mean its all in one pot.

also the reported purse for Kessler was $2million USD. We don't know if Froch is getting the same.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Source?

If its a co-promotion that would mean its all in one pot.

also the reported purse for Kessler was $2million USD. We don't know if Froch is getting the same.
No, it doesn't mean that, Rob. There is no way that Sauerland will give up 50-50 on revenue when Kessler generates a lot more than Froch. That would be appalling business strategy.

I don't even need a source - that's how these deals work. Hearn wants the fight in the UK, he's paying a price for that. You need to show me where Kalle or Eddie confirms this is a 50-50 split.

You're right we don't know about Froch's salary, but do you really think he'd be happy with the lower purse? I thought it was 2m rather than USD.

Also, is there any confirmation that Showtime or HBO is buying this?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:

The numbers for Froch/Bute were huge for Sky, so if other less popular fighters can turn a profit on PPV, so can Froch against Kessler. They only need about 250k buys, which isn't too much, I don't think, especially when you consider that many pubs will be showing the event. The foreign TV companies and ticket sales will contribute too.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The numbers for Froch/Bute were huge for Sky, so if other less popular fighters can turn a profit on PPV, so can Froch against Kessler.
They were huge - around 500,000 apparently - but that doesn't automatically equate to PPV. Never has done.

Quote:
They only need about 250k buys, which isn't too much, I don't think, especially when you consider that many pubs will be showing the event. The foreign TV companies and ticket sales will contribute too.
In the UK that's massive. Khan was a bigger star that Froch when he first went on PPV and, allegedly, shifted less than 150,000. That was in a much better economic climate than now too.

And like I said, it's very unlikely that Hearn is getting any of the European TV money. If Froch's ticket sales were such a source, Hearn wouldn't be paying Kessler so much.

You're also working on the basis that Hearn is keeping a large proportion of the PPV money. But he probably isn't. Running the production costs Sky a good chnk of money and it will make sure it recovers all of of that before Eddie makes anything. The split, at best, will be around the 5 per sale.

Even with your estimate of 250,000 buys, that's not going to cover all of the costs for Eddie.

But I'll be clear - I hope this card bombs. PPV is a scourge and this fight has no place being on it. Simple economics proves that.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No, it doesn't mean that, Rob. There is no way that Sauerland will give up 50-50 on revenue when Kessler generates a lot more than Froch. That would be appalling business strategy.

I don't even need a source - that's how these deals work. Hearn wants the fight in the UK, he's paying a price for that. You need to show me where Kalle or Eddie confirms this is a 50-50 split.

You're right we don't know about Froch's salary, but do you really think he'd be happy with the lower purse? I thought it was 2m rather than USD.

Also, is there any confirmation that Showtime or HBO is buying this?
Equally theres no way Hearn is going to pay Kessler $2million and not see any of the revenue from Germany & Denmark. That would be stupid business, and thats not something that a good promoter whos made allot of money and is smarter than both of us put together is gonna do.

How do you know deals work this way? Where did you get 3 from? And yes that purse which is only a rumour is USD.

Sauerland & Hearn have said they have a deal with a major US broardcaster which would point to HBO or Showtime.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #29
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Equally theres no way Hearn is going to pay Kessler $2million and not see any of the revenue from Germany & Denmark. That would be stupid business, and thats not something that a good promoter whos made allot of money and is smarter than both of us put together is gonna do.

How do you know deals work this way? Where did you get 3 from? And yes that purse which is only a rumour is USD.

Sauerland & Hearn have said they have a deal with a major US broardcaster which would point to HBO or Showtime.
You don't have to be that bright to make a lot of money - I see that at play every single day at work! So don't assume because he was born into his dad's empire that he's some wonderchild of promotional strategy.

Anyway, you think with the amount Hearn is paying Kessler that he's been in a position to dictate terms? Matchroom is a minnow compared to Sauerland. Hearn will have needed to concede an awful lot to get the guy over.

Anyway, considering I misread the purse currency, I think I should probably reconsider my original doom and gloom prediction!

Sorry Eddie!
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #30
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You don't have to be that bright to make a lot of money - I see that at play every single day at work! So don't assume because he was born into his dad's empire that he's some wonderchild of promotional strategy.

Anyway, you think with the amount Hearn is paying Kessler that he's been in a position to dictate terms? Matchroom is a minnow compared to Sauerland. Hearn will have needed to concede an awful lot to get the guy over.

Anyway, considering I misread the purse currency, I think I should probably reconsider my original doom and gloom prediction!

Sorry Eddie!
Your jelousy jumps of the page lol!
USA Rob is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum