Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ask The Pro: Questions/Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
We've got a fair few professional fighters/trainers on this forum. Good people who's willing to interact with fans.

So for a little while i've been thinking of making this thread. Where you can ask a trainer/fighter or even promoter as we do have a few questions.

Whether it be tips, interest in how to get into sport. Or there opinion on who would win a fight.

My question is to Billy Nelson: Billy you said Rigo would school Donaire. That's a bold statement, What is it that you see troubling Donaire so much that he gets throughly outboxed?.

Just interested as it's a big call but would like to know why. Thanks

I'm sure some will come in here to ruin thread, Please don't lads. Keep it sensible.

Thanks.
I think rigo has the capabilities to be a huge superstar,nearly everything he does is near perfection,he has great speed of hand and feet,punches hard he's got the lot.
I think Rigo will use his speed and movement to make Donaire pedestrian I may be wrong time will tell.
He's won everything in the unpaid ranks and IMO he's the best amateur I've seen.
Now compare that to Broner and I can't understand why people think he's going to be the next Mayweather,he couldn't lace his gloves,Mayweather is special and Broner does't even come to him.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
I think rigo has the capabilities to be a huge superstar,nearly everything he does is near perfection,he has great speed of hand and feet,punches hard he's got the lot.
I think Rigo will use his speed and movement to make Donaire pedestrian I may be wrong time will tell.
He's won everything in the unpaid ranks and IMO he's the best amateur I've seen.
Now compare that to Broner and I can't understand why people think he's going to be the next Mayweather,he couldn't lace his gloves,Mayweather is special and Broner isn't even come to him.

He was an outstanding amateur, but don't you think his lack of pro experience would tell against a great veteran like Donaire? Rigo has shown weaknesses when he can't get his man out of there early, and Donaire isn't going anywhere soon.

Agree with Broner, Broner is good but all of this "special" talk is overboard, he's no different than any other great prospect that's been produced in the last ten years, and he should already have two losses on his slate
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
He was an outstanding amateur, but don't you think his lack of pro experience would tell against a great veteran like Donaire? Rigo has shown weaknesses when he can't get his man out of there early, and Donaire isn't going anywhere soon.

Agree with Broner, Broner is good but all of this "special" talk is overboard, he's no different than any other great prospect that's been produced in the last ten years, and he should already have two losses on his slate
But someone with his undoubted talent will learn every single day in the gym and learn you don't need to win fights by KO'S all the time just keep winning.
I will reverse the tactics,will Donaire get frustrated and make mistakes when he's punching fresh air? that's what I see happening rigo clear pts.
totally agreed on boner
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Now compare that to Broner and I can't understand why people think he's going to be the next Mayweather,he couldn't lace his gloves,Mayweather is special and Broner does't even come to him.
Thank you Billy , I agree when you compare a young Floyd to Broner there is a stark difference in quality. I still think Broner is talented but Rigo's skill set is lot better but Broner seems to be a late developer although i rate him he's not a elite talent he's got some flaws and doesn't share same qualities that make Floyd a major talent.

I'd love to see Rigo vs Donaire be interesting to see how Donaire deals with the movement you mention.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Thank you Billy , I agree when you compare a young Floyd to Broner there is a stark difference in quality. I still think Broner is talented but Rigo's skill set is lot better but Broner seems to be a late developer although i rate him he's not a elite talent he's got some flaws and doesn't share same qualities that make Floyd a major talent.

I'd love to see Rigo vs Donaire be interesting to see how Donaire deals with the movement you mention.
I actually like Broner, in the sense that he's an interesting fighter to watch, I just speak negatively about him because of so many people blowing smoke up his ass, as if he doesn't show a lot of weaknesses, you would think boxing fans would learn not to hype fighters up as "future greats" before we see what they are truly made of

and yes, I am a big Floyd fan and Broner is no Floyd (to be fair though, it would be hard for any fighter to meet those expectations, its ****ing FLOYD!)

According to the great boxing scholar Michael Collins though, Broner is a "better version of Floyd, with better defence" I'll leave it there though cus I don't wanna get your thread closed
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

HBO are desperate for a star and i think some fans are as well. Lot of people see a shoulder roll and go crazy. Broner's good, two weight world champion already so he's good but Floyd is a different gravy to Broner.

Broner though may be more willing to entertain his fans in fights and make the fights we want. I like the kid as well, I'm a fan of his but i'm a fan of most promising talents bar a small few..
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
HBO are desperate for a star and i think some fans are as well. Lot of people see a shoulder roll and go crazy. Broner's good, two weight world champion already so he's good but Floyd is a different gravy to Broner.

Broner though may be more willing to entertain his fans in fights and make the fights we want. I like the kid as well, I'm a fan of his but i'm a fan of most promising talents bar a small few..
I think you hit the nail on the head my friend
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
Box4life
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Should be easy to beat when/if u take the fight then!
Box4life is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box4life View Post
Should be easy to beat when/if u take the fight then!
Won't be easy coz he is world class but he will be beat by Ricky Burns yes!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
how do you see Rees/Broner panning out ?
alba is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Billy/Arnie/Kev/Dave and all the other trainers what would be your advice to anyone looking to get into coaching/training fighters?.

And what is your philosophy on training within the sport?. (Not asking you to give your secrets away ).

Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #27
Box4life
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
They have to fight for Ricky to win. 3rd time lucky in making the fight!
Box4life is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #28
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

this goes to curtis woodhouse
How are you going to fight against shayne singleton for the english title (so i can give shayne the heads up before the fight)
also win or lose,you fancy meeting up for a beer after the fight
widdy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum