boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #31
DavetheSlave

vCash: 500
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
However, a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle, and a stronger muscle is a faster muscle because it contracts harder and you have to contract muscles to throw a punch. Kerry Kayes had the right idea with Hatton.
So youve basically just said bigger muscle=stronger muscle=faster muscle which is not only a gross simplification but also utter *******s.

Here is the lanky Tommy Hearns shooting his right hand so fast it troubled Ali

BORKED
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #32
Bronxbull666
The Beast From The East
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

What is a professional lifestyle? Jesus, these guys punch each other, and in most cases for the price of a few tickets. It comes down to ability, not extra curricular activity. We all need an escape, but some people just want a life outside their jobs. Sure, don't go on a binge the night before a fight. Nothing in the rules says you should be a stiff ****.
Bronxbull666 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #33
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Chris Eubank is huge on sparring hard and fighting regularly, (and is against lifting weights or focussing on diet).
Eubank is a very smart man IMO, but this is where I disagree with him (a lot of hard sparring and saying no to weights). I believe gym wars have ruined the health and careers of some fighters. Sparring is the closest you will get to the actual fight, so yeah it's necessary, but because each blow will cause trauma to the brain, I don't know if it's such a good thing to be doing a lot of heavy sparring. The head gear will prevent cuts, but won't do much to stop the brain rattling against the skull. Sergio Martinez doesn't do much sparring, and I've read that head sparring is rarely allowed at the Ingle gym and they mostly do body only sparring, though not sure how true that is.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

He caught Ali good but at that point in Alis career I don't think it meant much. That was before the Berbick fight, Ali was fat, semi retired and had Parkinsons. Still great footage though!

Hearns' power was through leverage, he had a great left hook to the body where he could lean over and get his body into it but a relatively poor left hook to the head where arm/ shoulder strength counts for more.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #35
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hearns had natural speed and great technique. He could've been even faster if he used resistant-training/nutrition correctly.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheSlave View Post
So youve basically just said bigger muscle=stronger muscle=faster muscle which is not only a gross simplification but also utter *******s.

Here is the lanky Tommy Hearns shooting his right hand so fast it troubled Ali

BORKED
How old was Ali then? Looks alarmingly like the one that got bashed up by Holmes.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Have any of you people heard the stories of how Chris Eubank made weight.

Like i stated before is ingrained in boxing.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Have any of you people heard the stories of how Chris Eubank made weight.

Like i stated before is ingrained in boxing.
no. What did he do?
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
DavetheSlave

Quote:
Hearns had natural speed and great technique. He could've been even faster if he used resistant-training/nutrition correctly.
Based on what exactly, who are the fighters who have implemented weight training to significant effect on power?

Hearn did resistance training, bodyweight training, and he was one of the hardest hitters of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
How old was Ali then? Looks alarmingly like the one that got bashed up by Holmes.

I cant say with certainty, but given when Hearns made it big, id dae it around 70-72.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #40
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
no. What did he do?
Tony Bellew says abit in this thread.

Also i have read somewhere that Chris Eubank used to book himself into a hotel, and just stay in his room, and order hotel staff to take all fruit out of the room, even fake fruit so no food/water of any sort was not on his mind.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Primadonna Kool; 01-27-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: "He used to book a hotel room, and wank it off"
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #41
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
no. What did he do?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Thats after he got beaten by Holmes. A young Hearns was on the undercard of Ali-Berbeck, Alis last fight. If ever a welterweight could be accused of taking advantage of a heavyweight in sparring this is it.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #43
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheSlave View Post
Based on what exactly, who are the fighters who have implemented weight training to significant effect on power
There aren't many I doubt, who implemented weight-training to some effect on speed, other than Nigel Benn and the fighters Kerry Kayes was strength/conditioner/nutritionist for. Because not many have used weights, or used them right.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Eubank (first Watson fight prior) Autobiog:

I lost 19lb in four days. That was through total abstinence of food and water and full, exhausting training at the same time. There is nothing harder than to train when you have nothing in your stomach - you retch, you feel faint, you are stretching yourself to the limit. When you dry out to that extreme, it is difficult to even blink, your eyes are so dehydrated. I had to periodically plunge my head into a sink of water to sooth the dryness. Four days without food or water makes you retch at your own breath. I used to even have the complementary fruit bowls removed from my hotel rooms, because just the smell of an apple or orange was torture. The evening before the fight, John Regan was with me in my room at The Coachhouse and I wanted to get a bag off the floor. I couldn't face picking it up, so I asked John to help me. Then I stood up and blacked out.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #45
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Thats after he got beaten by Holmes. A young Hearns was on the undercard of Ali-Berbeck, Alis last fight. If ever a welterweight could be accused of taking advantage of a heavyweight in sparring this is it.
So that clip doesn't really prove what the poster suggests it does?

Hahaha. The Ali that lost to Frazier would have smashed Tommy to pieces.
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum