Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #46
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

****ed up. To think he fought after going through all that. Crazy son of a...

It's crazy, should never have allowed it to get to that, and his team should never have allowed it.

Note: Was talking about Eubank having to lose 19lbs in four days.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #47
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
So that clip doesn't really prove what the poster suggests it does?

Hahaha. The Ali that lost to Frazier would have smashed Tommy to pieces.
Not really IMHO. That clip is from the end of 1981, Ali was beyond ****ed at that point and Hearns was the hungry young lion. They were on the same card and that was a promo piece for it.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #48
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheSlave View Post

I cant say with certainty, but given when Hearns made it big, id dae it around 70-72.
Give or take 10 years. Hearns was 12 years old in 1970...:
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Dehydration leads to changes in the volume of compartments within the cranium that could put sportsmen and women at risk of brain damage after head injuries, according to a team of UK researchers (‘The effects of dehydration on brain volume – preliminary results’, International Journal of Sports Medicine 2005; 26:481-485).
and here's more...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The stupidity of boxers trying to lose so much weight so quickly is underestimated. ****ing mental it is.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #50
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
and here's more...

The stupidity of boxers trying to lose so much weight so quickly is underestimated. ****ing mental it is.
Thats why, for all the downsides, I'm in favour of 24 hour weigh-ins. These guys will literally risk killing themselves in order to get into the ring as "big" as possible.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #51
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Thats why, for all the downsides, I'm in favour of 24 hour weigh-ins. These guys will literally risk killing themselves in order to get into the ring as "big" as possible.
Do you think it would be safer to have even longer than 24 hours?

Weighing in on the day of the fight is dangerous, I agree with you. Someone like Jake LaMotta drained weight on the day and whilst he got away with it, it's still very dangerous and there will have been many fighters who suffered brain damage because there wasn't sufficient fluid on the brain. However, I'd also say that 24 hours isn't enough to fully rehydrate, so maybe if they were allowed even more time to rehydrate, there could be even less danger? We say all the time about how fighters, such as Chad Dawson, were "weight drained" despite coming into the ring at a healthy weight, and that's because their body hadn't recovered from the stress.

I do think the steps taken by the IBF (I think?) with a second day weigh in are progress too.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #52
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Honestly I've no idea on the time Jack other than that the more time a boxer has to rehydrate after making the weight the less likely it is he will suffer from serious head trauma.

I guess you'd have to draw the line somewhere though, even with 24 hour weigh ins fighters are taking the piss a bit and coming in 10-20 pounds overweight.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #53
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

I think the weight-making process is pretty solid, there are just a few freaks of nature out there. Most commissions now have check-in to make sure fighters are within a certain weight range a few weeks away from the fight.

I'm not sure if a fight has been cancelled because of it though.

A maximum weight should be implemented across the board, along with a mandatory pre-fight weigh-in.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #54
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Boxers are YEARS behind on smart training methods and eating habits.

Kerry Kayes had Hatton doing BODYBUILDING exercises! He is clueless. Got the likes of Gavin eating Nando's, Eubank eating a biscuit or two a day in preparation for a fight, Hatton was blowing up to over 3 stone odd of his fighting weight as well...

Khan is dong the right things with Ariza, IMO.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #55
AndyPaterson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELOWTHEBELT View Post
The reason ricky burns is top of the pile is the way he lives and breathes boxing even though hes a world champion,the hunger and enjoyment that guy gets from boxing is second to none..ive seen a few guys who r contenders who think in there own head they deserve better than they have got and are envious of others also..in all honesty ive never seen a better role model in the sport than ricky burns,an absoloute credit to his mother and father and the sleazy sport of boxing..skys the limit when ure hearts in it

cannot disagree with a single word of this.
AndyPaterson is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Two words, Stress Kills .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #57
richie bee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Boxers are YEARS behind on smart training methods and eating habits.

Kerry Kayes had Hatton doing BODYBUILDING exercises! He is clueless. Got the likes of Gavin eating Nando's, Eubank eating a biscuit or two a day in preparation for a fight, Hatton was blowing up to over 3 stone odd of his fighting weight as well...

Khan is dong the right things with Ariza, IMO.

Kerry does not have boxers doing the same work outs as bodybuilders, everything he does is based around fighting techniques, likewise he works with Team SKY , various football clubs etc and none of them look like Mr Universe. If Hatton was really that pumped up he would look more like Frank Bruno then Frank Spencer! Where do u get the had Eubank eating busuits ( Kerry never worked with him ) or Frankie Gavin nandos?
I have been in the gym when hes working with some of the boxers on weights, excercises, they are short burst sessions, be it on legs, arms, chest lasting only a few minutes, hardly the stuff that Arnie or Stallone did
richie bee is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #58
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie bee View Post
Kerry does not have boxers doing the same work outs as bodybuilders, everything he does is based around fighting techniques, likewise he works with Team SKY , various football clubs etc and none of them look like Mr Universe. If Hatton was really that pumped up he would look more like Frank Bruno then Frank Spencer! Where do u get the had Eubank eating busuits ( Kerry never worked with him ) or Frankie Gavin nandos?
I have been in the gym when hes working with some of the boxers on weights, excercises, they are short burst sessions, be it on legs, arms, chest lasting only a few minutes, hardly the stuff that Arnie or Stallone did
Yeah, Kayes has Ricky doing seated Hamstring curls (or whatever that machine is called), Eubank (or Atberry) posted it on here before and Gavin said that his nutritionist said that Nando's is fine.

Look at Hattons lifting routines back then or Kayes's interview on BodyBuilding.Com... Hilarious.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #59
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie bee View Post
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #60
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You aren't risking injury using machines, because it's a natural curve of motion, and you aren't risking injury using 10 reps instead of 1 rep, because the weight is lighter (not that you can't add 10lbs a fortnight using 10 reps and still have a stronger 1RM, you can.)
atberry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum