Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Running/Skipping injury advise needed please.....

Hey everyone

Recently I have been running and skipping like crazy been really good fun, dropped a tonne of weight and really helped to get me cut up and very fit!

However I have had a nigling injury for the past two months which is a knee problem basically my knee has felt very weak to the point where I am running and I feel it would be very easy to give out to the side - if you understand what I mean.

I have carried on training as it didnt get any worse I put a simple elastic brace on and it gave me a bit more confidence.....

Anyway it started to bug me and coupled with the fact it snowed recently I decided to give training a break.

I went to see a sport massage therapist and he found a huge knot in my left calf and also another on the inside of my left leg right above the knee was another knot - this seems to be causing the issue with my knee. When he massaged it, that seemed to give my knee relief.

When I walk up the stairs I feel pain right where this knot is anyone experience the same problem and can you recommend a good stretch for that area?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675
Default Re: Running/Skipping injury advise needed please.....

Scrap has some really good stuff when it comes to stretching leg tendons.
Make sure you get proper running shoes, avoid hard surfaces and start looking into other types of cardio workouts.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sometimes after a massage you do feel some pain in that area, hopefully that should go away though, maybe you need to rest on that type of cardio for a while.

Last edited by rampant; 01-25-2013 at 06:20 AM.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

what kind of surfaces do you run/skip on?
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
Scrap has some really good stuff when it comes to stretching leg tendons.
Make sure you get proper running shoes, avoid hard surfaces and start looking into other types of cardio workouts.
I would have to see Him walk, before I knew what the problem was.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

I did skip on concrete which was stupid as I had bought a nice peice of ply wood but when it rained it would change the trajectory of the rope when the rope impacted the board and it annoyed me so I just skipped on the concrete for a while and that's when I first noticed the issue.

I immediately went back to skipping on the board but I feel the damage was done. I run on grass so not so much of an issue.

I always wear running shoes (I'm addicted to trainers/sneakers) but I definately was not stretching properly mainly down to the fact I was an idiot and thinking I was younger than I am.

It's more than just aching from the massage, it's an injury I have been pushing very very hard, I have got to the point where I'm pretty addicted to my training right now. So I most likely didn't listen to my body and just pushed through.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Just an update I'm pretty sure it was my calf causing the problem, as I said I had a big knot on the right hand side of it well I have been continuing to massage it and noticed there was yet another huge knot on the inside of my calf.

I noticed the more I massaged the knot and the more I could feel it in my knee and the swelling was reducing.

I have been doing some stretches and it seems to be getting better.....Im hitting the pool to keep up my cardio Im hoping another few days and I will be back skipping and running!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Just an update I'm pretty sure it was my calf causing the problem, as I said I had a big knot on the right hand side of it well I have been continuing to massage it and noticed there was yet another huge knot on the inside of my calf.

I noticed the more I massaged the knot and the more I could feel it in my knee and the swelling was reducing.

I have been doing some stretches and it seems to be getting better.....Im hitting the pool to keep up my cardio Im hoping another few days and I will be back skipping and running!
sounds like you got it all on track....when i jump rope at the gym i like to do it in the wrestling room on the mats, that are actually decently firm but of course have some give..its better than the ring that has too much give..but is easier on my 33 year old joints.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
I always wear running shoes (I'm addicted to trainers/sneakers)
That could be a problem. My knees were bugging me until I switched to less shoe. If I skip on running shoes my knees and shins will hurt, on boxing shoes it's no problem. Running is the same, the more shoe the more problems.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
That could be a problem. My knees were bugging me until I switched to less shoe. If I skip on running shoes my knees and shins will hurt, on boxing shoes it's no problem. Running is the same, the more shoe the more problems.
there is that whole barefoot running movement going on...allot of people claiming all the padding actually screws up your natural step and makes you more susceptible to injury.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
there is that whole barefoot running movement going on...allot of people claiming all the padding actually screws up your natural step and makes you more susceptible to injury.
I'm 100% with them. About a year ago I went for a run, hadn't done that in a while. Was supposed to do 10k but after 3k my knees were bugging me. Tossed away the shoes and finished the run on socks (on concrete / asphalt). Knee problems were instantly gone.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm 100% with them. About a year ago I went for a run, hadn't done that in a while. Was supposed to do 10k but after 3k my knees were bugging me. Tossed away the shoes and finished the run on socks (on concrete / asphalt). Knee problems were instantly gone.
Nike has actually gotten into the movement now

they sell, basically like tight rubber slippers that you can run in that have basically no padding...it actually would freak me out as far as sharp rocks and glass goes to run with no protection at all.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Watch your step and avoid alleys were drunks hang out

As soon as I have some spare money, I'm buying these:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Watch your step and avoid alleys were drunks hang out

As soon as I have some spare money, I'm buying these:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Just run without shoes all the time while carrying a empty coffee cup...people will think you are homeless and give you spare change.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Those barefoot running shoes don't actually mimic barefoot running much at all according to biomechanics research... nice idea though.
dealt_with is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing