Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Running/Skipping injury advise needed please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
It's actually just any material in general, it restricts the effect of tendons in your foot stretching and recoiling which provides a lot of power when running. Shoes stop feet from storing energy. If you have to walk around all day you'll find that your feet fatigue less when you have a shoe that has a stiff sole and less cushioning, the stiffer last allows more energy storage and less cushioning provides less of a need for your foot muscles to stabilise. So if you expect to be on your feet all day, don't wear a running shoe!
Barefoot shoes mimic different aspects of barefoot so probably provide different benefits depending on the type you buy but the 'barefoot running with shoes' is more a marketing line than anything. More research is needed into 'barefoot shoes', I'm guessing there are positives and negatives with the different concepts. My point is that barefoot shoes are not barefoot running.
From a semantics stand point that is totally true...but from a characteristic standpoint..it likely shares more characteristics with barefoot running than with full on athletic shoes. One thing it would share with athletic shoes for sure is a bit of covering for the foot in weather and for sharp points on the ground.

One thing that I do have to say though is....the idea that barefoot running is totally natural for humans isnt 100 percent true either..not in the same way it is for say, cats (as RDJ said earlier) I mean, humans have been wearing foot coverings/shoes/sandals of various kinds for thousands of years....it is very possible that we now do "need" shoes a bit more than the barefoot running crowd argues for.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
sounds like you got it all on track....when i jump rope at the gym i like to do it in the wrestling room on the mats, that are actually decently firm but of course have some give..its better than the ring that has too much give..but is easier on my 33 year old joints.
Im the same age as you, I have been pushing really hard so I think thats what the problem is.....because I skip on my toes I think my calf has locked up and I wasn't doing any stretches really so this affected my knees.

Concrete is a bad idea to skip on but the rope swings very true and as I skip outside in the rain etc when my ply wood got wet it altered the swing so thats why I switched back to the concrete.

I won't make that mistake again, not to mention Im no longer in my twenties so I need to take better care of myself - i.e stretch properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
That could be a problem. My knees were bugging me until I switched to less shoe. If I skip on running shoes my knees and shins will hurt, on boxing shoes it's no problem. Running is the same, the more shoe the more problems.
my shins hurt when I skip regardless......but if I skip in my boxing boots my shins and everything else (legs, hips, ass) are on fire I think I need the extra level of support, so I don't think its my footwear.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #33
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
From a semantics stand point that is totally true...but from a characteristic standpoint..it likely shares more characteristics with barefoot running than with full on athletic shoes. One thing it would share with athletic shoes for sure is a bit of covering for the foot in weather and for sharp points on the ground.

One thing that I do have to say though is....the idea that barefoot running is totally natural for humans isnt 100 percent true either..not in the same way it is for say, cats (as RDJ said earlier) I mean, humans have been wearing foot coverings/shoes/sandals of various kinds for thousands of years....it is very possible that we now do "need" shoes a bit more than the barefoot running crowd argues for.
When it comes to biomechanics any difference is a huge difference. It has the characteristic of being a shoe, which is completely different than being barefoot. I disagree on your second point as well, people in general spend too much time barefoot for it to alter anything in an evolutionary sense over only a couple of thousand years.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #34
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
When it comes to biomechanics any difference is a huge difference. It has the characteristic of being a shoe, which is completely different than being barefoot. I disagree on your second point as well, people in general spend too much time barefoot for it to alter anything in an evolutionary sense over only a couple of thousand years.
Yeah I don't know, I was more or less just "thinking out loud"...i would be curious about ethnic differences of feet...like eskimos have to have been wearing shoes for 10,000 of years..i wonder if there feet are any different than those from africa?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Yeah I don't know, I was more or less just "thinking out loud"...i would be curious about ethnic differences of feet...like eskimos have to have been wearing shoes for 10,000 of years..i wonder if there feet are any different than those from africa?
There perception of Feel will be.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #36
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
There perception of Feel will be.
semantics and linguistics creates world view which creates reality...the world as a manifestation of conception.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Hey all

Back for more advise please....been seeing a sports Physio and my calf is almost perfect now. However the curing of the calf did not 100% cure the knee it actually cured the majority of pain on the inside of the knee and drasticLly reduced the swelling, but I noticed some pain on the outside of the knee which seemed to be connected to a very tight muscle on the outside of my thigh.

Does anyone know what this could be IT band perhaps? I feel this muscle is tight when I bend my knee and pull my foot back so it touches my buttock or if I am on my knees and push down so I sit on my feet.

The knee has got a lot better in terms of virtually zero pain when going up and down stairs however in some positions it definitely feels vulnerable I occasionally feel a slight pain even though I haven't skipped or ran for what must be 5 weeks.

Anyone got any advice for me please Im dying to get back to my regime
Emeritus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing