boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #61
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
You aren't risking injury using machines, because it's a natural curve of motion, and you aren't risking injury using 10 reps instead of 1 rep, because the weight is lighter (not that you can't add 10lbs a fortnight using 10 reps and still have a stronger 1RM, you can.)
Of course you can get injured using machines, silly. Machines = Restriction. Do a seated shoulder press with dumbells and then do it on a machine and tell me which is the "natural curve of motion"!

What? Are you for real? Lets say that you do 3 sets of 10 reps, and on set 2 at the 7th rep you start to feel the pain... That won't get any easier on set 3 will it?

10 reps using ANY weight is hypertrophy range, end of. Hypertrophy is what BODYBUILDERS go for.
Nipple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #62
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Yet a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle, and a stronger muscle is a faster muscle
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #63
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yet a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle, and a stronger muscle is a faster muscle
Tell that to the likes of Jay Cutler!
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #64
almsn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

t is clear that a long slow distance (LSD) running is not a sport specific form of conditioning for boxing. A fighter must pattern his training after the physical demands of the sport. Why spend 100% of your time running in an aerobic manner when the sport is primarily anaerobic in nature? There is no answer to this question.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
almsn is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #65
LovePisBack
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Boxers are YEARS behind on smart training methods and eating habits.

Kerry Kayes had Hatton doing BODYBUILDING exercises! He is clueless. Got the likes of Gavin eating Nando's, Eubank eating a biscuit or two a day in preparation for a fight, Hatton was blowing up to over 3 stone odd of his fighting weight as well...

Khan is dong the right things with Ariza, IMO.
What's wrong with Gavin eating Nando's?

Grilled Chicken, Rice and Vegtables? Seems ok to me.
LovePisBack is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #66
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Tell that to the likes of Jay Cutler!
A genetic freak using life-threatening ammounts of AAS... so much like a pro boxer..
atberry is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #67
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almsn View Post
t is clear that a long slow distance (LSD) running is not a sport specific form of conditioning for boxing. A fighter must pattern his training after the physical demands of the sport. Why spend 100% of your time running in an aerobic manner when the sport is primarily anaerobic in nature? There is no answer to this question.
I remember guys like MArgarito and Paul Williams, are known for the amount of running they do, and are known to throw over 100 punches a round.
SuspiciousChees is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #68
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by almsn View Post
Not sure thats true mate. 800m and 1500m are anerobic events but most top runners do massive amounts of slow aerobic runs.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #69
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
A genetic freak using life-threatening ammounts of AAS... so much like a pro boxer..
What does it matter the sport with a theory likes yours?
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #70
DavetheSlave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Give or take 10 years. Hearns was 12 years old in 1970...:
Yeah I was right in my head but 10 years back, at that stage ofcourse Ali had just got back into boxing, I mean 80-82.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #71
Tony Bellew
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=Primadonna Kool;14655240]"

The best was when Tony Bellew stated that he has been training so hard on a empty stomach, that he was throwing up yellow stuff.

This is your favourite one when it comes to me.. I run at 5:30am when in camp on non sparring days. I obviously run on an empty stomach! I'd run on the track a few times and ran so hard I brought up bile! I could bring up bile on a full stomach! It's to do with how hard I pushed myself! I work with the best nutritionists and dieticians that is available to me! Premier league standard people.

My training is very different to most fighters I've seen and been around and my knowledge of weight training, varied running patterns and the many types of tempo training I do leave me knowing I'm a very well prepared athlete and also strong! I've learnt so much about preparing for 12 round fights over the last 2 years! The camps are more important than the fights cos if the camp goes well then for me it's a formality.. Hope this clears your bile comment..
Tony Bellew is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #72
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=Tony Bellew;14662159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
"

The best was when Tony Bellew stated that he has been training so hard on a empty stomach, that he was throwing up yellow stuff.

This is your favourite one when it comes to me.. I run at 5:30am when in camp on non sparring days. I obviously run on an empty stomach! I'd run on the track a few times and ran so hard I brought up bile! I could bring up bile on a full stomach! It's to do with how hard I pushed myself! I work with the best nutritionists and dieticians that is available to me! Premier league standard people.

My training is very different to most fighters I've seen and been around and my knowledge of weight training, varied running patterns and the many types of tempo training I do leave me knowing I'm a very well prepared athlete and also strong! I've learnt so much about preparing for 12 round fights over the last 2 years! The camps are more important than the fights cos if the camp goes well then for me it's a formality.. Hope this clears your bile comment..
good answer tony
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #73
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
That's a very big simplification. I'm not against weight training, when used properly. However, while a bigger muscle may generate more force, the acceleration of the fist is some function of the force divided by the body mass that you must move during the range of motion. This force/mass issue also affects the deceleration required, when a punch misses, to return the fist to a defensive position. It is not clear at what point exactly that increased muscle mass is detrimental. At lower weights it's obviously a much lower threshold, at HW it's not so easy to determine.

I think there is enough empirical evidence to be fairly certain that there must be a physical limit to any increased speed resulting from appropriate weight training.

More importantly, the applicability of that speed to boxing is crucial, if you adversely affect your stamina, flexibility etc by gaining weight then you start to greatly increase the risk of it having a detrimental affect on your overall performance. I would never recommend that someone like Khan purposefully bulk up in misguided belief that it would improve his speed. He'd just end up in a higher weight class, and would get obliterated.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #74
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMattMatt View Post
That's a very big simplification. I'm not against weight training, when used properly. However, while a bigger muscle may generate more force, the acceleration of the fist is some function of the force divided by the body mass that you must move during the range of motion. This force/mass issue also affects the deceleration required, when a punch misses, to return the fist to a defensive position. It is not clear at what point exactly that increased muscle mass is detrimental. At lower weights it's obviously a much lower threshold, at HW it's not so easy to determine.

I think there is enough empirical evidence to be fairly certain that there must be a physical limit to any increased speed resulting from appropriate weight training.

More importantly, the applicability of that speed to boxing is crucial, if you adversely affect your stamina, flexibility etc by gaining weight then you start to greatly increase the risk of it having a detrimental affect on your overall performance. I would never recommend that someone like Khan purposefully bulk up in misguided belief that it would improve his speed. He'd just end up in a higher weight class, and would get obliterated.
A bigger muscle does not always generate more force.

#stopbeingre****s.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #75
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
A bigger muscle does not always generate more force.

#stopbeingre****s.
I said "may generate more force". Notice the italics. Don't call me a re**** when you fail to read my post correctly.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum