Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default John L. Sullivan workout

would be nice if it had more details, like specific break down of workouts and diet...still interesting.

Quote:
6:30am Wake up and get rubbed down. Dress in heavy corduroy and woolens and walk for 2-3 miles. Limbering up exercises with weighted dumbbells. Medium temperature shower, second rub down.
8am Breakfast (strict menu only as Muldoon allowed Sullivan) followed by Muldoon’s mandatory digestive rest time.
10:30am Jog/run/hike for 2 hours covering 10-12 miles on same path Sullivan ran wearing heavy woolens and carrying weights in each hand. Shower followed by third rub down.
1pm Dinner (strict menu only as Muldoon allowed Sullivan) followed by mandatory digestive rest.
3:30pm Afternoon workout consisting of outside sparring, punching bags, Indian clubs, medicine ball, skip ropes.
5-6pm Different Daily Special 1889 Activity as posted at barns. 6pm Shower and fourth rub down.
6:30pm Supper as Sullivan ate in 1889, including one Bass Ale.
7-8pm Rest time.
8-9:30pm Horseback riding. Relaxing at barns.
9:30pm Bedtime, sleeping in barns where Sullivan did.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: John L. Sullivan workout

does anyone know anything about indian clubs? if they are effective?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Did he do any plyometrics?
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sounds like a workout my nanna would do if she was training for the nanna olympics.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_40 View Post
Did he do any plyometrics?
3:30pm Afternoon workout consisting of outside sparring, punching bags, Indian clubs, medicine ball, skip ropes.

medicine ball definitely qualifies.....could hitting a heavybag be considred a type of sports specific ploymetrics...anyhow..the medicine ball for sure.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Sounds like a workout my nanna would do if she was training for the nanna olympics.
I will admit some of it doesnt sound super hard
Quote:
10:30am Jog/run/hike for 2 hours covering 10-12 miles on same path Sullivan ran wearing heavy woolens and carrying weights in each hand. Shower followed by third rub down.
Like this would only be 10 minute miles, although he did have weights in his hand that would make it maybe a bit harder...

however, from what I have read about William Mudoon, the sparring skip rope bag work medicine ball and indian club stuff was likely pretty hard.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

if you go to this link they provide a preview of a book on William Mudoon, who is the man who trained Sullivan (at least the conditioning part) for the workout listed in this thread.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

from what this book said he basically invented the medicine ball and throwing it back and forth....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
I will admit some of it doesnt sound super hard Like this would only be 10 minute miles, although he did have weights in his hand that would make it maybe a bit harder...

however, from what I have read about William Mudoon, the sparring skip rope bag work medicine ball and indian club stuff was likely pretty hard.
Running with weights in hand would only mess up his running mechanics and probably cause elbow tendinitis.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Running with weights in hand would only mess up his running mechanics and probably cause elbow tendinitis.

are you being serious?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

the whole mechanics thing really only holds for ankle weights..plus..Sullivan wasnt training for a race..so running mechanics is incidental to conditioning for boxing.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I remember reading about the whole ankle weights thing years ago..but from what I recall hand weights were said to be ok..so i looked into it now..and it still seems to be ok..in fact even runners do it because strengthening the upper body can improve your running.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I remember reading about the whole ankle weights thing years ago..but from what I recall hand weights were said to be ok..so i looked into it now..and it still seems to be ok..in fact even runners do it because strengthening the upper body can improve your running.
Johnstown, you do your homework Whatever Sullivan did whether it was hard or not, he still lasted 21rds with a younger faster rival, and this after years of partying, before that he was undefeated in long grueling bare knuckle fights, I would say he reached somekind of condition with what he did.
Did you see in the internet archive website, there are books on James J Corbett, John L., Bob Fitzsimmons, William Brady, if you havent check them out.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
the whole mechanics thing really only holds for ankle weights..plus..Sullivan wasnt training for a race..so running mechanics is incidental to conditioning for boxing.
Don't you use your arms when you run? When you run your arms need to be coordinated with your legs, you change the mechanics of one and you change the mechanics of the other. With hand weights you're slowing yourself down for an inferior training response and the constant, uneven eccentric forces as your arm moves through range with the weight exerting different forces as the moment arm changes at your shoulder and elbow are going to cause injury issues, no maybes about it.
Conditioning for boxing is impaired by running with hand weights and you're increasing your injury risk, it's nothing but idiotic and hence why nobody other than an uneducated couch potato/jogging grandmother would think it's a good idea.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Johnstown, have you checked out Boxing by Edwin Haislet? What did you think about it?
dempsey1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing