Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Starting out at 31

Started boxing at 31 (7 months ago) after playing football (both 11 and 5 a side) all my life, and wanting a new challenge. I've always loved boxing and respect the sacrifice fighters make. Started in July last year, and its like a bug. I've stopped drinking (have a few every couple of months) and am trying to eat,live, exercise right out of the gym. I'll be in the gym 4-5 hours a week. My coach reckons i should go for an amatuer fight within the next 6-8 months. Are there any other late starters on the forum?? Most of my mates/workmates say i'm too old but not really bothered what they say. Close friends and family, and people at the gym say go for it, so thats what im plannin to do!
det is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Starting out at 31

Late starter here. Started at 35 and now 37.
I still manage to have decent speed and cardio. I'm pretty decent - not amazing by any means (3-3 record). But i'm at least on par with amateurs in their teens/twenties.

I definitely wouldn't say you're too old to enjoy training and competing.
Heck if you keep it up, you would have had 4 years of training by the time I started.
So I think there's plenty of opportunity to get better and reach your potential.

I do admit, turning 38 this year does make my window of opportunity extremely short.
But 31? There's still plenty of time.
Speechless is online now  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Still going strong in my 40's.

Geriatric power!
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by det View Post
Most of my mates/workmates say i'm too old but not really bothered what they say.
Laugh in their faces when you win your fight. Age is just a number.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Laugh in their faces when you win your fight. Age is just a number.
det is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Late starter here. Started at 35 and now 37.
I still manage to have decent speed and cardio. I'm pretty decent - not amazing by any means (3-3 record). But i'm at least on par with amateurs in their teens/twenties.

I definitely wouldn't say you're too old to enjoy training and competing.
Heck if you keep it up, you would have had 4 years of training by the time I started.
So I think there's plenty of opportunity to get better and reach your potential.

I do admit, turning 38 this year does make my window of opportunity extremely short.
But 31? There's still plenty of time.
Nice1 are u in the u.s.a? Not familiar with the age regulations over there? Ive been told u.k is 34 am, and then its gota be white collar stuff after that. Dont fancy goin straight into that, want to have a few contests first.
det is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
boxbirne

Quote:
Started boxing at 31 (7 months ago) after playing football (both 11 and 5 a side) all my life, and wanting a new challenge. I've always loved boxing and respect the sacrifice fighters make. Started in July last year, and its like a bug. I've stopped drinking (have a few every couple of months) and am trying to eat,live, exercise right out of the gym. I'll be in the gym 4-5 hours a week. My coach reckons i should go for an amatuer fight within the next 6-8 months. Are there any other late starters on the forum?? Most of my mates/workmates say i'm too old but not really bothered what they say. Close friends and family, and people at the gym say go for it, so thats what im plannin to do!
I`m 30 and started 4 months ago with boxing. never feel better in life. other guys in my gym dont believe me im 30. i gave 100% every training because i thought i can fight. after i talk with my coach he told me here in germany, you cant fight if you reached the 30 years mark.

if you want to fight, do it!
boxbirne is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbirne View Post
I`m 30 and started 4 months ago with boxing. never feel better in life. other guys in my gym dont believe me im 30. i gave 100% every training because i thought i can fight. after i talk with my coach he told me here in germany, you cant fight if you reached the 30 years mark.

if you want to fight, do it!

Bet you were gutted.
det is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

Sergio Martinez started at an extremely old age for boxing. Age 20. And his situation is somewhat of an anomaly. Starting at age 31...that's pretty damn late if you're expecting to be a world champ. Getting in shape, doing some good sparring, maybe even a few amateur fights...definitely possible with the right commitment.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yep, a few AM fights is what I was aiming for.
det is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

Quote:
Yep, a few AM fights is what I was aiming for.
Well, that's definitely possible. But if you are literally just starting out, I mean no experience at all at the age of 31... you will have to be a fast learner because those guys in amatures know what they're doing. There is chances that you will be up against other novices, though.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
Melchior

In your first fights you'll probably fight other novices, I wouldn't worry about getting over matched.
Melchior is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
In your first fights you'll probably fight other novices, I wouldn't worry about getting over matched.

That's good to know.
det is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

I know few old guys at my gym that are little bit older than you and started quite late as well and they do fine some even competed in amateurs.

Just train hard and have fun boxing.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Nice1 are u in the u.s.a? Not familiar with the age regulations over there? Ive been told u.k is 34 am, and then its gota be white collar stuff after that. Dont fancy goin straight into that, want to have a few contests first.
I'm actually in Canada. We also have Masters division for (35 + older I believe). And we also have a promotion that does white collars. Only the problem is boxing is not as popular in Canada, so if I want fights, I must compete in the regular amateurs. This is because there's very few (if any) local fighters in my age group and weight class (LW or LWW). So I think we have to be somewhat lenient in order to make matches. Most of my opponents have been in their early 20s. My next one is only 18.
Speechless is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing