Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #46
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier Vs. Evander Holyfield..Prime for Prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Lowe View Post
Frazier by decision in a grueling fight. I don't think Holyfield could deal with Frazier's in fighting abilities. That and Holyfield doesn't have enough of a punch to seriously hurt Joe with one shot, whereas Joe's left hook could seriously hurt Holyfield.
This

And anyone that thinks Frazier was fat at 205 needs glasses. He was a rock.
ETM is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #47
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Frazier of the FOTC was a tough fighter to beat he fought a rugged war vs Ali and it was competitive all the way but I have to say Frazier was dominant against the strongest Ali, I know many think the Foley or Williams Ali was the best but none of those guys were Joe Frazier but Frazier had a short prime.....Evander had an amazing career and he was competitive with the best of his era but I don't think any version of Evander beat the Frazier of the FOTC ...Evander had a great win over Tyson and his heart was top notch and he would beat a weaker Frazier like the one Foreman beat but prime for prime Frazier takes it IMO
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #48
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
This

And anyone that thinks Frazier was fat at 205 needs glasses. He was a rock.

Good call E!...He looked great at 205!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #49
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
It's startling how many people are writing Frazier off in this.

And no Southpaw, Joe's only hope isn't landing a big left hook. For such a Frazier fan, I'd hope you think more of Frazier than just a left hook... To beat Holy, he'd need to land dozens of them and he would.

Holyfield would choose to slug with Frazier when it would be wiser and easier for him to box. As ETM said, I can also see Frazier going down early and getting up to find his rhythm.

Witnessing the exchanges would be worth the price of any seat or PPV, and either guy could win this.

The thing is that Frazier is better at his game than Holyfield is at his, meaning that while Evander is more versatile, he doesn't always fight the smartest or with a style that suits his best interest for ease of victory. Frazier's consistency is the key here.

I think Frazier's body work and overall pressure does Holyfield in late or wins him a clear decision.

I would never in a million years say that all Joe had or needed was his left hook. Especially against the likes of Holyfield. Its a fact it would have to be Joe being Joe, Bobin and pumping, stalking Holy down at all cost, Frazier using his ability to make Evander miss big shots ( Much like he did in his first fight with Ali ) and solid offense would be the key to a Frazier win. I do agree Dave that Frazier might get dropped at some point but still goes on to win this fight in my opinion. If y ask me Frazier isnt gettin the respect I thought he would with this matchup!..
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #50
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Frazier of the FOTC was a tough fighter to beat he fought a rugged war vs Ali and it was competitive all the way but I have to say Frazier was dominant against the strongest Ali, I know many think the Foley or Williams Ali was the best but none of those guys were Joe Frazier but Frazier had a short prime.....Evander had an amazing career and he was competitive with the best of his era but I don't think any version of Evander beat the Frazier of the FOTC ...Evander had a great win over Tyson and his heart was top notch and he would beat a weaker Frazier like the one Foreman beat but prime for prime Frazier takes it IMO
Frazier from FOTC is the best Frazier youll ever see!..
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #51
John Galt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

edit

Last edited by John Galt; 03-28-2014 at 12:02 AM.
John Galt is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #52
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

This is a tough one to call but I'll lean toward Frazier. It would be one hell of a fight that's for sure but I think Joe outhustles Evander for a decision win. If Evander could stick to boxing Joe from the outside for most of the fight then he stands a good chance but we all know how Holyfield can be prone to brawling. Frazier would draw Evander into a brawl due to his relentless pressure. Evander has good foot movement but it's not the evasive fleetfootedness of Ali. Joe would get to Evanders body, whip in a couple of left hooks and then the brawl begins as Holyfield would try as hell to punish Frazier for it. I see Holyfield leading on the cards up to about the 5th or 6th with Frazier slowly taking control after that. Frazier by decision in a classic.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman jim View Post
This is a tough one to call but I'll lean toward Frazier. It would be one hell of a fight that's for sure but I think Joe outhustles Evander for a decision win. If Evander could stick to boxing Joe from the outside for most of the fight then he stands a good chance but we all know how Holyfield can be prone to brawling. Frazier would draw Evander into a brawl due to his relentless pressure. Evander has good foot movement but it's not the evasive fleetfootedness of Ali. Joe would get to Evanders body, whip in a couple of left hooks and then the brawl begins as Holyfield would try as hell to punish Frazier for it. I see Holyfield leading on the cards up to about the 5th or 6th with Frazier slowly taking control after that. Frazier by decision in a classic.
In a 15 rounder too!?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #54
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
IMO, Frazier of the Jerry Quarry 1/Jimmy Ellis 1 fight was the peak Frazier. By the Ali fight in 1971, Frazier was not as active, he had fought less than two full rounds in the previous year.

That 69-71 version of Frazier was tough, but Evander Holyfield at his best might be too strong and versatile for any version of Frazier.
When was Holyfield at his best? When he was fighting Foreman and Bowe at around 205-208? or the older slower version that fought at 215? He had his most famous wins against Tyson but he mightve been past it then as well.

he was two different fighters, totally different styles.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #55
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Frazier from FOTC is the best Frazier youll ever see!..
I would disagree, and actually believe that a few others will agree with me??? The thought that this was the best version of Frazier is a sterotype based upon the fact that this was his biggest win...IMHO Frazier from 68 Mathis through 69 Quarry I is the absolute peak version of Frazier.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #56
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
IMO, Frazier of the Jerry Quarry 1/Jimmy Ellis 1 fight was the peak Frazier. By the Ali fight in 1971, Frazier was not as active, he had fought less than two full rounds in the previous year.

That 69-71 version of Frazier was tough, but Evander Holyfield at his best might be too strong and versatile for any version of Frazier.
Teach me not to finnish reading all posts before replying...I would agree w/ the first part of your post anyway.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #57
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Frazier had just reached his prime in `68. I dont know if he had peaked IMO until maybe `69 or `70. His headmovement and his semi crouch seemed more polished and refined in his fight with Ellis.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #58
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

I'm a big Holy fan but I dont think anyone can win a war of attrition with Frazier without serious firepower. I dont think Holy hits hard enough to deter Joe from swarming forward.

Frazier points over 12, late stoppage over 15.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #59
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I can't believe so many people are picking Frazier to win this fight...I mean really.. if you breaking it down by Cross... hooks.. jabs.. speed... chin.... footwork.. counters... etc etc.. I mean do people really give Frazer more categories? I would say most wouldn't.. yet more are picking Frazier... Makes little to no sense. Surely, Holy could deal with Joe's one and only weapon a left hook.. Surely!!
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #60
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
This is a great matchup. One of the best that can be made.

Holy is top class and I reckon if we have the fight under 200 he'd come out on top. But in the hw division with no limits I edge towards Frazier.

Stronger more powerful and that dynamite left hook. It will be close all the way through but at some point Frazier will land his shot and win a big 10-8 round that will see the difference between these two.
not as confident in this pick as I was. never realised holy was 6'2. been watching some of him tonight and i forget how impressive he was.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum