Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #181
unsentdemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800
Default Re: How exactly is Sugar Ray Robinson the Greatest?

There is no such thing as GOAT in my eyes. I just see greatest of their respective era. The sport evolves and athletes learn from the one's before them what works and what doesn't therefore they become better.
unsentdemon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #182
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Inquisitive is the P4P most idiotic, pompous moron of all the trolls, He's the King of the Trolls. Now enough with him and his nonsense. I propose that we all just put him on ignore whenever he posts anything in the Classic forum and let him seek his audiences in that pool of likeminded idiots here in the general forum and those that lap up his brand of foolishness in the Lounge.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #183
treva1977
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

he is not every ones goat.mine is jimmy wilde.
he fought guys twice his size.true warrior.
but i am welsh so bit bias too.
treva1977 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #184
bremen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Because ESB is full of hypocrites. For example, when Vitali Klitshko is fighting defensively - he is "running scared". When SRR idoes the same - he is utilizing superior skill and footwork.

BORKED
BORKED
bremen is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #185
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Uh-Oh. Why do you have to be a lightning rod for controversy, Drew?
That's just how I roll.

Hey..At least I didn't mention Eusebio Pedroza in this thread....Until now.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #186
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
...I chop and change between the two.

Tomorrow it'll be Robinson again.
Greb would've taken the biggest/closest to prime Burley to the cleaners and fought Archie Moore no less than five times. In a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
That's just how I roll.

Hey..At least I didn't mention Eusebio Pedroza in this thread....Until now.
Great, but so dirty.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #187
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by treva1977 View Post
he is not every ones goat.mine is jimmy wilde.
he fought guys twice his size.true warrior.
but i am welsh so bit bias too.
Wilde the GOAT?
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #188
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsentdemon View Post
There is no such thing as GOAT in my eyes. I just see greatest of their respective era. The sport evolves and athletes learn from the one's before them what works and what doesn't therefore they become better.
Great point. As I've gotten older, I have changed to think this way. It's just not fair to say ONE person is the GOAT.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #189
JDezi4
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Name all fighters before and after that he wouldn't be favored over from Lightweight to Middle...

Now, I expect u to come up with some names at middleweight, but other than that?
JDezi4 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #190
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenpire View Post
Because a lot of people think that riding the "omg sugar ray robinson is the greatest boxer of all time" train will make them look like knowledgable boxing experts who have lived through the centuries...... the same thing is true with people who rank jack johnson and sam langford as better punchers than lewis or tyson.

I'm not saying sugar ray robinson and those guys weren't great, he was definitely great for his time, but what pisses me off is that some guys who yell that he's the greatest of all time probably didn't even have the patience to watch half his fights. Some just hear from some nostalgic old trainers and fans that he's the greatest so they go along with it, thinking that it'll make them look older and more knowledgable....... and when you go against them they'll say "oh you haven't been around long enough to know his greatness", lol wtf?

Some will say he's the greatest because they read it on ring magazine or whatever, and they don't give a shit that the "experts" who make those rankings are usually heavily biased in favour of fighters from the past. Either way alot of the people who go around yelling "sugar ray robinson is the greatest of all time" haven't even seen him fight

It's quite funny actually.
I LOVE this post lol
anj is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #191
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenpire View Post
If I don't know shit than you obviously don't know how to ****ing read, because I never said SRR was not great. Read my post again, I said he was great during his time, like many other great boxers. I've watched more of his fights than many of his so called fans, so I meant it when I said he was great and I'll gladly explain.

I just said SOME of the people here who blindly go around yelling SRR is the greatest of all time often times don't actually know what they're talking about or why. So unless you want to tell me that you qualify as one of those people I mentioned, you need to stop getting butthurt, because I never actually questioned or dissed your idol. And again before you tell me I don't know shit, LEARN TO READ.
The version of Robinson that we see obliterating Graziano and Olson is great for anyone's time, sir. The version that blasts LaMotta into a state of near oblivion in 1951 is an undeniably great fighter....period.

You've watched the fights, apparently. This is something that should be obvious to you, then...or to anyone who takes to the time to watch him fight and to understand just how freaking insane that combination of speed, skill and power really was.

Last edited by Drew101; 01-28-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #192
tommythomas3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Are you people stupid or what? This is a boxing question, not a MMA question. Got it?
You think Robbie is not the greatest? Fine. Just tell who it is in your opinion. But don't get MMA facts in this boxing thread, alright?
tommythomas3 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #193
tommythomas3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

To me it is Roberto Duran. He fought both bigger and younger men in another era and he mostly came out on top... It was in an era where you had to carry weight, not like the old times where there were major size differences between two opponents, and Duran won most of the time. That's GOAT stuff for me.
tommythomas3 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #194
MoJoGoodie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ask most boxers and trainers or historians.....i bet 7 times out of 10 they will say SRR...the other two you may hear is Ali or Greb
MoJoGoodie is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #195
jonze86
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1154

People are too sensitive about SRR and other fighters from early days.i bet that if Mosley,Trininad,De la hoya,whitaker,Pacquaio,Mayweather etc.. Would have been fighting in 40's everybody would be screaming that little over 10year of span is the greatest in WW'S history

And some retards think that somebody like johnson or louis would have even got a chance against prime tyson.there is many examples.people only deny the thruth and live in the past.

To these idiots boxing is only sport in the world which haven't evolved.

And actually the whole world have been evolved.only boxing is different.you can't argue with these grandpas.gladly they are soon in the graveyard and finally have to let it go of SRR,Grebs,Langford,armstrong,johnson,lous etc.. Dicks

and don't waste your time to replying to this post.i don't even want to start arguing.you grandpas can keep your opinions i will keep mine.
jonze86 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum