Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #106
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why Are The US Heavweights So Poor Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8s View Post
We've already been through this SEVERAL times. Basketball football and baseball are much more lucrative sports. THAT and the fact that as far as I know the only two colleges that offer boxing are Notre Dame and San Diego st. That should tell you something as far as the support boxing gets in America.
Right, so all the great US heavyweights of the past came through the college system did they? ****ing hell. Now I've heard it all.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #107
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
Damn... Imagine if all of our football/soccer players were in box insteand, Mexico would be really dominant in the lower weights.

At first perhaps, before Spain, Argentina and Brazil caught up.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #108
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I always find it amusing that the US tries to blame the lack of good heavyweights on more popular sports like American football. Why cant the European's use the excuse of all our athletic big men being in sports like Rugby?
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #109
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Re-reading "Legacy of Ashes"-- Someone has to, right Wige?
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
well there you go. The option there is to box or coal mines.
Here the option is to box or play another sport with less corruption, less brain damage and more money and fame
hoopsman is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #110
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkittlezTheBest View Post
Lennox Lewis is the only reason for HW'S decline in America because he took the soul from the last generation.. hence effecting this generation.

Lennox Lewis came back from both his defeats to American under dogs and brutally avenged them.

This is sub consciously telling all the young American Heavyweight's 'YOU CAN TAKE ME DOWN, BUT UNLESS YOU KILL ME, I'LL TAKE YOU OUT NEXT TIME'

Lewis was avoided by Bowe'-America's hero. And this is sub consciously telling all the young American Prospects- your #1 hero avoids me . The big bad Brit.

Lewis dominated and beat the shit out of Holyfield and made Holyfield his bitch and was robbed. This is sub consciously telling America's prospects 'See, the only way to avoid defeat is to rob me... there is no longer honor in fighting for America'

Lewis destroyed the biggest prospect of them all Michael Grant.

This is sub consciously telling America's prospects 'see Your #1 dog aint nothing more than a 2 round victim'

Lewis dominated America's last real icon. Mike Tyson.. and this is sub consciously telling America's prospects' stay down, or Lennox will get you'

Lennox Lewis dominated every stupid American, Ukrainian, New Zealander and whatever the **** country there is.

Lewis made Vitali his bitch and made Vitali bleed like a 3 vagina faggot
Lewis will dominated any era.
Congratulations. You're one of the dumbest ****s, and that's no small achievement, to have ever graced the boards at ESB.

hoopsman is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #111
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkittlezTheBest View Post
Shut the **** up you butt hurt moron.
Now that there is some serious brain power on display.

hoopsman is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #112
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Round View Post
They're playing NFL and Basketball, because apparently no other countries have sports other than boxing.
From what I observed, boxing isn't really popular in the inner city or low income areas like it used to be, sure there are fighters at lower weights who are from these areas often, but that has more to do with lack of size. Any person in the inner city, if they had the size and power, would rather play football or basketball, as those two sports are idolized in those area. There was a day when boxing was idolized, back when it was the most popular sport behind horse racing, then emerged as the popular sport. It doesn't have that seem popularity anymore, escaping poverty as a big guy, it would be more profitable to play football or basketball, at least if you can't make it to the NBA or NFL, you can make it through school, doing something you love. It would be better if they had boxing teams in school, honestly.

In any case, boxing is just not that popular anymore. And the heavy's in the past 12 years from America have been terrible, these guys started boxing at age 23. They don't get into boxing young anymore, at least the recent ones havent from America. And if they have, they dont have any power. Last good american Heavy, who wouldve got his ass kicked by the American heavys of the early 90's, was brewster.
Snakefist is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #113
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
That's always been the case until now. Suddenly seven foot freaks from the NBA and juiced up muscleheads are seen as potential heavyweight greats being cruelly ripped from our sport by the lure of big money contracts, allowing all the commies to have their fun. Jesus Christ.

Has anyone even seen Frazier try to do anything remotely athletic outside of boxing? Or Foreman?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

From 1.44. This chap would have taken the NFL by storm.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #114
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I guess if Joe Frazier were an up and comer today he'd be a power forward in the NBA
T.S. is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #115
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
I always find it amusing that the US tries to blame the lack of good heavyweights on more popular sports like American football. Why cant the European's use the excuse of all our athletic big men being in sports like Rugby?
I'd say more of Europe's big men go into tennis than rugby, given that it's a more widespread sport and a lot less dangerous (and generally a lot better paid). The average tennis player is around six one to six three with a few giants here and there, needs to have incredible explosiveness, stamina and footwork, iron nerves under pressure, and a huge competitive drive to be the best. Sound like good traits for boxing? They sure do to me.

Soccer takes by far the cream of the crop at any weight category though. That's indisputable.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #116
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Right, so all the great US heavyweights of the past came through the college system did they? ****ing hell. Now I've heard it all.
No, but what you're not understanding is playing football, basketball and baseball gives you a better chance to get in college opening up the doors for more options in life. This is why most parents get their kids started in these sports. Boxing offers no advancement in this country unless you make it big time, and 99.9% never do.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #117
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

From 1.44. This chap would have taken the NFL by storm.
I was going to post that vid along with the sprint against that NBA guy where he came dead last, but **** it. Frazier was a fighter, not an athlete. That's something that proponents of this ridiculous argument can't understand.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #118
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
No, but what you're not understanding is playing football, basketball and baseball gives you a better chance to get in college opening up the doors for more options in life. This is why most parents get their kids started in these sports. Boxing offers no advancement in this country unless you make it big time, and 99.9% never do.
And in the UK and the Ukraine?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #119
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
And in the UK and the Ukraine?
Since Im American I could be mistaken, but aren't most colleges tuition free in Europe? If that is the case european kids don't need to focus on a sport to help get them into a a school if they cannot afford it.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #120
RememberingC.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 639

Also swimming, i think requires some skills useful in boxing: at first, nowadays swimmer are advantaged by being giants (you don't say?) , like Michael Phelps, Ian Thorpe, etc; it requires a lot of power, muscle masses, but also stamina... and an exceptional degree of coordination and precision.
RememberingC.S. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum