Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: John L. Sullivan workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Don't you use your arms when you run? When you run your arms need to be coordinated with your legs, you change the mechanics of one and you change the mechanics of the other. With hand weights you're slowing yourself down for an inferior training response and the constant, uneven eccentric forces as your arm moves through range with the weight exerting different forces as the moment arm changes at your shoulder and elbow are going to cause injury issues, no maybes about it.
Conditioning for boxing is impaired by running with hand weights and you're increasing your injury risk, it's nothing but idiotic and hence why nobody other than an uneducated couch potato/jogging grandmother would think it's a good idea.

LOL, show me one ****ing legit source, other than your fingers and mouth, that says it is risky in any ****ing way.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

are you going off what DRYessis told you Dealt?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

looking at the state of research on running with weights..i see some actual track programs still do it..however others say you shouldnt..all in all the fact that it could mess up your running form? who cares..Sullivan wasnt training to be a runner..as far as giving him shoulder problems...ehhhh likely less than getting hip tossed onto your shoulder under London Prize rules..
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

wouldnt pay much attention to these workouts to be honest
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
wouldnt pay much attention to these workouts to be honest
i'm not really going to try to replicate them...not really enough into to go on..having said that...I don't think any of it is bad either.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
i'm not really going to try to replicate them...not really enough into to go on..having said that...I don't think any of it is bad either.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 AM   #22
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Sounds like a workout my nanna would do if she was training for the nanna olympics.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Johnstown, have you checked out Boxing by Edwin Haislet? What did you think about it?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Looking over it now...I am now helping train some of the kids at the boxing gym, and I am also working on the boxing with the mma guys at my gym (some tweaks need to made with boxing for them..mostly foot position needs changed just a bit). So those kinds of things actually help allot, most of the stuff in those books (well, a fair amount of the stuff) I already know, but its good to see it written down.

Years ago I read a book written by Floyd Patterson and Al Bernstein that was pretty good for basic type stuff.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

James J. Jeffries workout description

"For this fight he ran some 14 miles in the morning, alternating between a jog and a 100-yard sprint, without stopping to walk or rest and finishing the run within two hours. In the afternoon, he played three games of handball, punched the bag for 20 or 25 minutes straight, and skipped rope 1,500 to 2,500 times. He would then box from 12 to 16 rounds, and 'wrestle around' or toss an 18-pound medicine ball."
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #25
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

"For this fight he ran some 14 miles in the morning, alternating between a jog and a 100-yard sprint, without stopping to walk or rest and finishing the run within two hours. In the afternoon, he played three games of handball, punched the bag for 20 or 25 minutes straight, and skipped rope 1,500 to 2,500 times. He would then box from 12 to 16 rounds, and 'wrestle around' or toss an 18-pound medicine ball."
Lol. You don't believe any of that do you?

I wouldn't pay any attention to any of the workouts you see online, apart from the fact 99% of them are made up the others that are real are tailor made for a specific person making them useless to anyone else.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
LOL, show me one ****ing legit source, other than your fingers and mouth, that says it is risky in any ****ing way.
Common sense would tell you, but, um, yeah...
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #27
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
looking at the state of research on running with weights..i see some actual track programs still do it..however others say you shouldnt..all in all the fact that it could mess up your running form? who cares..Sullivan wasnt training to be a runner..as far as giving him shoulder problems...ehhhh likely less than getting hip tossed onto your shoulder under London Prize rules..
Messed up form whether running in the Olympics or running down the street can still result in injury.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Lol. You don't believe any of that do you?

I wouldn't pay any attention to any of the workouts you see online, apart from the fact 99% of them are made up the others that are real are tailor made for a specific person making them useless to anyone else.
whats so hard about that work out....14 miles in two hours is about a 8 minute mile....very doable...some handball was really common game for boxers to play..because of the hand eye coordination as well as the laterial movement and stance being similar to what you do in boxing. 25 minutes on a heavybag isnt that uncommon.....the sparring is doable....most of that stuff i have seen Jeffries doing on video..including the wrestling.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

I also remember reading how Sullivan would do a thousand skips of the rope when in tra ining. That's roughly 15 minutes of skipping which isn't something to laugh at. I'm sure when he was in his prime, Sullivan was very well conditoned. There are many roads that lead to the same destination and his training regimen was one of them.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #30
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

Quote:

impressive! i would be dead after morning run
captain hook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing