Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Thanks for the vid. That was a damn good amateur fight. Pretty high level stuff from two young fighters, despite some of the obvious youthful exuberance.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #32
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragon, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Now, Mayweather vs. Todorov...

There was outrage. There were resignations from AIBA.

Mayweather outlanded Todorov by double.

Aragon came much closer to deserving a W over young Pretty Boy than Todorov did. If he got the nod, it would have raised eyebrows but not caused an uproar.

It's too bad Aragon never met Todorov in the ring. I think in this particular instance something akin to ABC logic would've borne out: h2h, the guy who fought Mayweather razor-thin beats the guy who deserved a wide loss. Aragon simply possessed the build, strength and style to clearly beat Todorov (as Mayweather did, although he regrettably wasn't rewarded duly for it)
I had somebody yesterday in a thread tell me that Mayweather didn't get robbed and actually lost in the Olympics. He assumed I never watched it when in reality I've seen the fight more than once.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #33
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I had somebody yesterday in a thread tell me that Mayweather didn't get robbed and actually lost in the Olympics. He assumed I never watched it when in reality I've seen the fight more than once.
...Are they Bulgarian?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #34
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

You don't see any Cubans on here spouting off that Aragón was shafted. (and not to belabor the point, but he performed better against Mayweather than Todorov)

Actually...as strange as it is you don't see him mentioned all that much, period, when the recent great Cuban amateurs are discussed.

Skills, power, and impeccable pedigree - and SO close to rejecting a future ATG from a medal berth. You'd think he would get more shouts...and that a lot more footage of him was available.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Dating back to his loss to Augie Sanchez (avenged twofold) in an Olympic prelim qualifier, Mayweather should in all likelihood be riding a 51-0 streak...unless you would have favored Kamsing over him.

The closest anyone has come to genuinely beating him since Augie Sanchez are Sanchez himself in one of their rematches, Aragon, Castillo, and De La Hoya. After that, I suppose Cotto.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Dating back to his loss to Augie Sanchez (avenged twofold) in an Olympic prelim qualifier, Mayweather should in all likelihood be riding a 51-0 streak...unless you would have favored Kamsing over him.

The closest anyone has come to genuinely beating him since Augie Sanchez are Sanchez himself in one of their rematches, Aragon, Castillo, and De La Hoya. After that, I suppose Cotto.
how many rounds did you give Oscar?
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstar View Post
how many rounds did you give Oscar?
Same as Cotto, I think. 116-112. Difference is, DLH had a chance of doing better if he'd kept the jab flowing and not checked out mentally. Cotto fought his guts out and couldn't have really done any more than he did.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #38
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Mayweather vs. Todorov is considered 2nd only to Jones vs. Si-Hun as far as the worst robberies of American boxers in the Olympics.

Imagine the hype surrounding Mayweather if he'd cleared the '96 field (which included names like Kamsing, Aragón, Peden, Todorov, and eventual solid WBO 130lb and 135lb champions Pablo Chacón and Artur Grigorian respectively - with Mayweather himself theoretically dispatching Grigorian, Aragon, Todorov, and Kamsing in succession) and debuted coming off a gold medal!

His swagger and ego to date would seem downright meek by comparison.

This is why i respect the hell out of IB. The guy does his homework and have a lot of boxing knowledge. True boxing fan.

I only research on dudes i bet lol and classic ATGs.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #39
Ripper11
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1948

Quote:
...Are they Bulgarian?
not sure, but I've seen him show heavy support for eastern euros
Ripper11 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #40
FrochFan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Mayweather really is perfect.

I was hoping that KD was going to be on some Rustico Torrecampo , Ross Puritty type crudeness, but it didnt really crack.

Even the Iron chinned vitali klitschko has an embarrassing KO loss in his closet.
FrochFan is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Awesome thread
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #42
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
You don't see any Cubans on here spouting off that Aragón was shafted.
I spoke too soon.

There is an alternate upload of Mayweather vs. Aragon online, and the first comment is in Spanish and translates to "There were thirty (!!!) uncredited punches by Aragón; I thought he won it..."

It's unclear from the phrasing whether this person thought Aragón deserved the 2nd round, or the match. (moot point, as the former directly implies the latter).

I can see arguing a case for Aragón if you leave out a couple of Mayweather's more borderline scoring strikes or dismiss them as not quite clean enough to deem worthy of awarding...and obviously I'm a lot more liberal with handing out points than AIBA judges are, due to my higher sensitivity to jabs and body work - but no ****ing way in hell did either man land thirty blows in a single round. (or hell, in the match!!) 30 uncounted? That would be absolute madness if that somehow went overlooked.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #43
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrochFan View Post
Mayweather really is perfect.

I was hoping that KD was going to be on some Rustico Torrecampo , Ross Puritty type crudeness, but it didnt really crack.

Even the Iron chinned vitali klitschko has an embarrassing KO loss in his closet.
Yeah, it wasn't like Mayweather had his lights turned out or anything; just a cautionary tale regarding blind charges when an opponent has their back against the proverbial wall.

He certainly never made that mistake again.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #44
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Great thread. Shame about Aragon, tho. Lmao LOTR.
elchivito is online now  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #45
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

May as well go all-in...

Besides the Mayweather and Thompson bouts already posted, this is the only complete Aragón match currently available online. It's his second decision (third overall meeting) over Sherzod Husanov.

BORKED
BORKED

Husanov is seven inches taller than Aragón. The disparity may have been less in 2003 when he was in his early twenties as they don't look quite that far apart in the video above, but male height actually continues to increase until age 25 so it's possible he underwent a spurt to reach his currently reported stature of 5'11". He did hulk over 5'8" Jhon Berrio. I do more or less trust Aragón being listed by multiple sources at 5'4" since he was a head shorter than a 19 year old Mayweather who ultimately capped off at 5'8".

Sher is currently 16-0-1 with eight knockouts, and has been ranked as high as #7 by the WBO in the top 20 by the WBC. He was twice an Olympian, but never obtained a medal.

I've seen him a few times and been somewhat impressed. Upper echelon Euro level potential.

His vicious knockout of fellow unbeaten prospect Maxim Chemezov stole the show on the Maskaev vs. Beck undercard.

He beat hard-banging Colombian trial horse Jhon Berrio in his American TV debut on FNF. It wasn't the tidiest performance but he got it done (very wide on my card, and Teddy Atlas', and the most experienced of the assigned judges in Glenn Hamada). Similar type fighter to Shumenov.

He was robbed in his draw with 12-0 Timur Nergadze, but avenged it with a UD a few months later. (strangely, two cards reflecting the near shutout but one having it close)

He's by no means sure to acquire a world title at any point, but he's a solid competitor...and physically MASSIVE compared to Aragón. Yet El Barbaro on the downward slope of his career stopped him once and widely outpointed him twice.

He still moved like a damn flyweight even getting up in age with half his life spent in the ring against world class opposition...and he showed little respect for Husanov's power, taking it with aplomb on the few occasions Sher was able to find him.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum