boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who were the most durable heavyweights ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Tony Galento?
he was game but i wouldn't say in the elite echelon of durability
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
he was game but i wouldn't say in the elite echelon of durability
*******s! The dude had over 100 proffesional fights with literally no defense outside of catching punches with his face, met some of the biggest punchers of the era Max and Buddy Baer, Lou Nova, Lorenzo Pack and of course Joe Louis. He was only decked once in over 100 proffesional fights and it was on his 106th (IIRC) fight that he was decked by Louis. Name one other Heavyweight in history who went over 100 proffesional fights without being decked, can't do it because there isn't one.

Being decked once in over 100 proffesional fights with no defense and you say he wasn't in the elite echelon of durability
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
*******s! The dude had over 100 proffesional fights with literally no defense outside of catching punches with his face, met some of the biggest punchers of the era Max and Buddy Baer, Lou Nova, Lorenzo Pack and of course Joe Louis. He was only decked once in over 100 proffesional fights and it was on his 106th (IIRC) fight that he was decked by Louis. Name one other Heavyweight in history who went over 100 proffesional fights without being decked, can't do it because there isn't one.

Being decked once in over 100 proffesional fights with no defense and you say he wasn't in the elite echelon of durability
hot damn! well you certainly convinced me maxie i guess i was blinding by the stoppage losses but as you pointed out, he wasn't knocked down or out very often at all (and as you said, he had NO defense)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #34
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Paulino Uzcdun, Tommy Farr, and Arturo Godoy might belong in the discussion.
J, you know your onions ! The Louis who fought these 3 guys would wreck havoc on the fighters of the past 25 years... Louis hit with great power and CLUSTERS of punches that a Mercer, Chuvalo, McCall never faced before...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #35
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
J, you know your onions ! The Louis who fought these 3 guys would wreck havoc on the fighters of the past 25 years... Louis hit with great power and CLUSTERS of punches that a Mercer, Chuvalo, McCall never faced before...
still don't think louis knocks chuvalo down
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #36
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
I think skin toughness (cuts and swelling) should be considered a big factor in durability, as it is regularly how fighters otherwise durable lose fights.

Vitali's face falling apart VS Lewis disqualifies him as a durable fighter.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Who were the most durable heavyweights ever? Iíll define durability as being able to take shots to the head or body without going down, and staying strong through the contest. Chins and bodies are best tested when they are hit, and can be verified if they were hit by punchers. This should not be confused with a loss due to injury or a nervous breakdown in the ring.

The rules of boxing have changed over the decades. Old timers had lighter gloves, no mouth guards, and protective gear that would be considered dangerous by todayís standards. As such taking a punch was harder in the 1950ís, and significantly harder at the turn of the century. Modern fighters have better protective gear, and heavier / softer gloves, but in general face more powerful opponents. So I believe it evens out.

Here are ten names in no particular order:

Oliver McCall. McCall is one of two Ring Magazine champions never to be floored by a punch. Interestingly enough he said Bert Cooper, not Lennox Lewis hit him the hardest. While McCall had some iron in his bones, he was in serious trouble vs. Bruce Seldon ( visibly hurt and shaken up ) late in the match until he rallied to stop Seldon late.

Ross Purrity. Purrity was in the ring with a whoís who list of punchers, and passed most of the time. He took more blows than a crash test dummy. While Purrity was the ultimate survivor, and often played defense, I believe he belongs here.

Vitali Klitschko. Like McCall he has never been floored by a punch in his entire career. That automatically makes the list. In my opinion Vitali has taken perhaps the hardest shots on film without going down.

James Jeffries. Never floored in his prime, Jeffries had a combined 84 rounds with Choynski, Fitzsimmons, and Sharkey. Each man landed their best, and Jeffries passed with flying colors. Jeffries was only stopped once in his career, and that happened after a 5 year layoff when he was out of shape, and rusty in the desert heat in round 15 vs. a prime version of Jack Johnson.

Ray Mercer. Mercer was only down once in his prime, and happened when Holfyeifld wore him down and caught him with a hook. Lewis clubbed Mercer but could not dent him. As an older fighter, he caught a careers worth of power punches from Wladmir Klitschko. During the post fight interview, Wladimir said he has been in there with lots of guys, and Mercerís chin was the best.

George Chuvalo. Although he was legitimately floored by Bonevvna, Chavaloís was never officially knocked down. Chavalo didnít last long vs. Frazier or Foreman, and these two were the best punchers he faced. However it is clear that Chuvalo had a top level durability, and has a clear mind past the age of 70, which is rare for a guy who took a lot of punches.

Randall Texx Cobb. Cobb had no real amateur career. As such he wasnít hard to hit cleanly. A poster boy for having an iron chin, Cobb was often on the receiving end of the blows. Shavers, Holmes, Norton, and Mercado could not hurt or floor Cobb. Shavers did not come close to landing his best vs. Cobb. Cobb was stopped later in his career, but in his prime he was never floored or hurt on film.

Larry Holmes. Holmes only has one KO defeat in his long career, and that one happened vs. a prime Mike Tyson when Holmes was in-active and older. Holmes faced a whoís who list of punchers, sometimes taking viscous shots along the way vs. Shavers, ****ey, Norton, Witherpsoon, and Snipes.

Muhammed Ali. Ali had a great but inconsistent chin in the sense that he could be knocked down or hurt, but he also had amazing recuperation powers. Ali meet many punchers like Foreman, Frazier, Liston, Norton, and Shavers. Some of them were able to hurt Ali, but none were able to finish him. Like Holmes, Ali was only stopped once in his career, and that happened when he was well past his prime.

David Tua. Only floored once in a long career ( by Rhaman ), Tua certainly belongs. His war with Ibeabuchi was legendary give and take for 12 rounds. Others like Lewis, Rahman, Maskaev failed to finish Tua.

Honorable Mention who I would include if this was a top 20 list. Rocky Marciano, Evander Holyfield, Sonny Liston, Mike Tyson, George Foreman, Nikolai Valuev, Zelko Mavrovic, Joe Jeannette, Marion Wilson and Gene Tunney.

There are durable guys in losing and durable guys that win, Tua was recently dropped by Monte Barrett (the Rahman KD was at the bell )

There should be a list for durable and winning and durable and losing
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #38
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
true
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #39
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
true
This thread was begun expressly to hype up Vitali Klischko, and Jim Jeffries.
When the history of **** licking is recounted, it will be considered less than a success.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
Balder
Journeyman

Evander Holyfield.

Unbelievably durable, I can recall the beating he was taking from Bowe in one round, then coming back the same round and driving Bowe back into the ropes. Durable is a great word to describe The " Real Deal"

Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Holmes .... big punchers. They could not put him down.

Not bad for a natural cruiserweight.
Balder is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #41
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
This thread was begun expressly to hype up Vitali Klischko, and Jim Jeffries.
When the history of **** licking is recounted, it will be considered less than a success.
Eh, Jeffries is hard to rate, I always say he's not proven against Heavyweight punchers because he never faced any. The greatest puncher he fought was Fitz who didn't have a problem KOing some of the biggest and most durable guys of the era with 1 shot yet from all accounts couldn't hurt Jeffries in the traditional sense of the word even tho he could cave his face in. On that and Choynski, Griffin, Munroe and Sharkey, basically the biggest punchers the era could offer, you have to say he was one of the most durable heavies ever...
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #42
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Eh, Jeffries is hard to rate, I always say he's not proven against Heavyweight punchers because he never faced any. The greatest puncher he fought was Fitz who didn't have a problem KOing some of the biggest and most durable guys of the era with 1 shot yet from all accounts couldn't hurt Jeffries in the traditional sense of the word even tho he could cave his face in. On that and Choynski, Griffin, Munroe and Sharkey, basically the biggest punchers the era could offer, you have to say he was one of the most durable heavies ever...
For a long time I too believed Jeffries chin was unproven because he did not take the shots of big heavyweights.
However after reading about the punishment that Fitz inflicted on Ruhlin,punishment that threatened his life and left him bedridden for some time, and perusing the accounts of the shots that Jeffries shipped in his second fight with Fitz , smashing his face to bits but leaving him still standing. I put Jeffries in the top echelon of durable champions chin wise.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #43
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Who were the most durable heavyweights ever? I’ll define durability as being able to take shots to the head or body without going down, and staying strong through the contest. Chins and bodies are best tested when they are hit, and can be verified if they were hit by punchers. This should not be confused with a loss due to injury or a nervous breakdown in the ring.

The rules of boxing have changed over the decades. Old timers had lighter gloves, no mouth guards, and protective gear that would be considered dangerous by today’s standards. As such taking a punch was harder in the 1950’s, and significantly harder at the turn of the century. Modern fighters have better protective gear, and heavier / softer gloves, but in general face more powerful opponents. So I believe it evens out.

Here are ten names in no particular order:

Oliver McCall. McCall is one of two Ring Magazine champions never to be floored by a punch. Interestingly enough he said Bert Cooper, not Lennox Lewis hit him the hardest. While McCall had some iron in his bones, he was in serious trouble vs. Bruce Seldon ( visibly hurt and shaken up ) late in the match until he rallied to stop Seldon late.

Ross Purrity. Purrity was in the ring with a who’s who list of punchers, and passed most of the time. He took more blows than a crash test dummy. While Purrity was the ultimate survivor, and often played defense, I believe he belongs here.

Vitali Klitschko. Like McCall he has never been floored by a punch in his entire career. That automatically makes the list. In my opinion Vitali has taken perhaps the hardest shots on film without going down.

James Jeffries. Never floored in his prime, Jeffries had a combined 84 rounds with Choynski, Fitzsimmons, and Sharkey. Each man landed their best, and Jeffries passed with flying colors. Jeffries was only stopped once in his career, and that happened after a 5 year layoff when he was out of shape, and rusty in the desert heat in round 15 vs. a prime version of Jack Johnson.

Ray Mercer. Mercer was only down once in his prime, and happened when Holfyeifld wore him down and caught him with a hook. Lewis clubbed Mercer but could not dent him. As an older fighter, he caught a careers worth of power punches from Wladmir Klitschko. During the post fight interview, Wladimir said he has been in there with lots of guys, and Mercer’s chin was the best.

George Chuvalo. Although he was legitimately floored by Bonevvna, Chavalo’s was never officially knocked down. Chavalo didn’t last long vs. Frazier or Foreman, and these two were the best punchers he faced. However it is clear that Chuvalo had a top level durability, and has a clear mind past the age of 70, which is rare for a guy who took a lot of punches.

Randall Texx Cobb. Cobb had no real amateur career. As such he wasn’t hard to hit cleanly. A poster boy for having an iron chin, Cobb was often on the receiving end of the blows. Shavers, Holmes, Norton, and Mercado could not hurt or floor Cobb. Shavers did not come close to landing his best vs. Cobb. Cobb was stopped later in his career, but in his prime he was never floored or hurt on film.

Larry Holmes. Holmes only has one KO defeat in his long career, and that one happened vs. a prime Mike Tyson when Holmes was in-active and older. Holmes faced a who’s who list of punchers, sometimes taking viscous shots along the way vs. Shavers, ****ey, Norton, Witherpsoon, and Snipes.

Muhammed Ali. Ali had a great but inconsistent chin in the sense that he could be knocked down or hurt, but he also had amazing recuperation powers. Ali meet many punchers like Foreman, Frazier, Liston, Norton, and Shavers. Some of them were able to hurt Ali, but none were able to finish him. Like Holmes, Ali was only stopped once in his career, and that happened when he was well past his prime.

David Tua. Only floored once in a long career ( by Rhaman ), Tua certainly belongs. His war with Ibeabuchi was legendary give and take for 12 rounds. Others like Lewis, Rahman, Maskaev failed to finish Tua.

Honorable Mention who I would include if this was a top 20 list. Rocky Marciano, Evander Holyfield, Sonny Liston, Mike Tyson, George Foreman, Nikolai Valuev, Zelko Mavrovic, Joe Jeannette, Marion Wilson and Gene Tunney.
Pretty good list. I'd maybe substitute Vitali for someone in the honourable mentions list like Mavrovic, who more or less took Lewis's monster uppercut for twelve straight rounds, and didn't really have the offensive capability to keep him away. He retired shortly after, though I believe that was unrelated to the beating he took.

Ike Ibeabuchi might merit a mention as well, solely on the ridiculous shots he took from a prime Tua without wilting.

Jeffries I don't know enough about to say whether he should be there. I'd probably have put in Evander, though that's just my list.

Marion Wilson is undoubtedly one of the toughest lower-tier fighters ever. Others in this bracket (though not as extreme) might include Demetrice King and Friday Ahunanya, both of whom fought some very hard punchers and took them the distance on multiple occasions. Not quite enough to put them into a top ten list, but worth a mention I feel.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #44
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
There are durable guys in losing and durable guys that win, Tua was recently dropped by Monte Barrett (the Rahman KD was at the bell )

There should be a list for durable and winning and durable and losing
Tua was dropped by Barrett at the tail end of his career. I don't think it should really factor that highly into his overall career toughness.

The Rahman KD was, like you said, after the bell, and a balance shot more than Tua getting genuinely hurt.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #45
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mercer fought Tommy Morrison, who was plenty capable of stringing together hard explosive punches in bunches and had one of the hardest crispest left hooks ever. Chuvalo and McCall have together faced about ninety percent of the hardest and heaviest punchers of the latter half of the twentieth century. I'd say they've all three more than merited their position here.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum