Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Top 5 ATG Featherweight?
Yes 59 93.65%
No 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #46
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Salvador Sanchez (01/26/59 - 08/12/82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Easily one of the greatest talents Mexico has ever produced and from a country that breeds fighting machines, Sanchez might best be described as an aggressive counter-puncher who was capable from all ranges with excellent timing and accuracy. Physically - at 5'7 with a 67" reach - he possessed above average speed, reflexes, power and an excellent chin that was tested and proven, but likely even greater was his immense stamina, conditioning and uncanny poise in the ring. By far one of the most relaxed fighters ever seen on film for my money. There's often a lot of back-and-forth in regards to how 'overrated' he's become as a result of his extremely premature death, but his talent and ability certainly isn't up for much debate. Depending on how high you care to rate him all-time, I don't believe his record is either.

Wilfredo Gomez
Azumah Nelson
Danny Lopez (x2)
Ruben Castillo
Juan LaPorte
Pat Cowdell
Patrick Ford
Roberto Castanon

By only age 23 with miniscule amateur experience to speak of, Sanchez compiled a 44-1-1 (32) pro record, won the Lineal/WBC Featherweight Championship of the world and hastily strung together (9) title defenses against predominantly top caliber opposition. He had four fights against three legit ATG/HOF guys and won all of them. In terms of numbers, he beat as many rated featherweight champions/contenders in under three years as Roberto Duran did at lightweight in seven.

He won arguably the biggest and most significant fight in the history of the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry with each country's very best fighter both in their prime. Dubbed "The Battle of the Little Giants", it took place August 21, 1981 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas . Wilfredo Gomez (32-0-1, 32 KO) came into the fight as a 2-1 favorite, was considered one of the best fighters P4P in the sport, undoubtedly it's best and most savage accumulative puncher and has since earned universal acclaim as an ATG. To get a small idea of the magnitude of Sal's TKO8 triumph here (as well as his run in general), Ray Leonard beating undefeated versions Thomas Hearns (32-0, 30 KOs) and RING/Lineal/WBA LMW champ Ayub Kalule (36-0) in the same calendar year in addition to being one of the most popular figures in the history of the sport (even at that point in time) wasn't enough to get Fighter of the Year honors for himself - he shared it with Salvador Sanchez in 1981.

BORKED

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]..........[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

When Sanchez won his title from RING/Lineal/WBC Champion Danny "Little Red" Lopez (42-3, 39 KO) it was another instance of him going in as an underdog, this time against a fighter who had been on top of the division for over three years and was riding an 18-fight winning streak (16 by KO) with wins over Ruben Olivares, David Kotey (x2), Art Hafey, Mike Ayala (RING's 1979 Fight of the Year), Roberto Castanon and Juan Domingo Malvarez. Never particularly hard to find - to say the least - Lopez was most certainly formidable and carried one of the biggest punches in the sport, capable of swinging the direction of a fight's outcome as a result. In a KO Magazine poll in January 1980 a month prior to his bout with Sanchez, he was considered to be the #4 pound-for-pound fighter in boxing. In a rematch four months later, Sal defeated him in similar fashion in another late TKO win.

It could be said Azumah Nelson (13-0) was too green (coming in as a substitute on short notice) to be considered a great win, but for me the proof is in the pudding (or fight) and being 'green' and closer to athletic prime usually trumps 'past it' or worse, 'shot' as far as I'm concerned. Nelson fought beyond his ring experience and with the unrelenting, possessive fervor that would come to shape part of his identity as an all-time fighter. He gained almost immediate acclaim following the fight, would take titles at both 126 and 130, and was not soundly defeated for the better part of the following eight years until moving to up to 135 in a bid to challenge a peak Pernell Whitaker for his lightweight titles.

Juan LaPorte (15-1) is probably known as much for his unbelievable chin as any achievements made in the ring, but was nevertheless a durable boxer-puncher, one of the top contenders of the era and a future champion from the point Sanchez beat him. Ruben Castillo (47-1) was another top-level contender, class technician and out-fighter who's only loss up to that point was at the hands of Alexis Arguello in a bout at 130 lbs. Rounding out the list of rated contenders squeezed into the tight window are Pat Cowdell (19-2) and the immensely awkward Patrick Ford (16-0) who's style and dimensions gave Sal fits in the early going before ultimately prevailing. Roberto Castanon's (43-1) only prior defeat came at the hands of Lopez, whom Sanchez stopped twice.

He has the accomplishments of a man who knew his time was going to expire shortly and made the most of it when in reality he obviously had no idea he'd be cut so bitterly short. It has been said he was looking to be out of sport by the time he was 25, over which time he'd of likely settled the unification matter with another all-time great FW in Eusebio Pedroza and completed his legacy, amongst other potential superfights that could've potentially been brought to the table.

As it is, Sanchez is deserving of his ATG status not for what he could've been and accomplished, but for what he was and did.

BORKED

Sanchez's IBHOF Profile: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] ----> Wilfredo Gomez
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] ----> Azumah Nelson
[url]http://www.ibhof.com/pages/about/inductees/modern/lopez_danny.html ----> Danny Lopez
This is my favorite post ever on ESB!!! Thanks NWS
Clinton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #47
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

sal san
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #48
thanosone
I Am Eternal
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Fixed.

On that note though, Gomez allegedly talked a lot of shit and oozed arrogance once that fight was made and all throughout the build-up to it. He got what was coming to him, though he did fight like a champion. Sal took his bombs without even changing his facial expression

I like the side caption of the Saddler-Lopez fantasy fight, again pointing to how he was thought of during his time. One of the most popular fighters of his day as well.
Gomez is one of my all time favorites. I wasn't disrespecting him. But Sal has the bitch didn't have my money face. Sanchez didn't look like he can hand out an ass kicking. But that dude was ****ing violent.
thanosone is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post

Someone mentioned Pedroza as top 5???? Perhaps top 15, hard to argue him into the top 10 let alone top 5.
no idea who that is, but looking at boxrec, isn't that a beastly career at featherweight? how does someone like pacquiao who had a very short career at featherweight surpass that? does beating MAB once surpass 7 years and more than 15 successful title defenses?
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #50
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Quote:
Gomez allegedly talked a lot of shit and oozed arrogance once that fight was made and all throughout the build-up to it. He got what was coming to him, though he did fight like a champion. Sal took his bombs without even changing his facial expression.

2:30.

He talk about the possibility of facing Arguello at 3:10.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #51
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2123

great post
its amazing how even though he died at 23 he got a better resume than most boxers in this time period do in their 30's or their whole careers
alakran is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #52
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post

2:30.

He talk about the possibility of facing Arguello at 3:10.
Prop's for that clip...
I never seen that interview before.

Sal talks fighting Alexis but definitely moving to Jr. Lightweight was his next goal.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #53
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanosone View Post
Gomez is one of my all time favorites. I wasn't disrespecting him. But Sal has the bitch didn't have my money face. Sanchez didn't look like he can hand out an ass kicking. But that dude was ****ing violent.
Nice.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #54
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Who?
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #55
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You're a dick, dyna.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #56
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Ford and Cowdell were good opponents that sometimes get a bit overlooked.
That caused him a bit of hassle, as did Castillo.

Marcel was the better operator for me, and better than Pedroza too.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #57
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Great post. Couldnt stop reading even though I've never seen Sanchez fight
What?! Get to it bro! You won't be disappointed.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #58
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

ATG Featherweights
1. Salvador Sanchez
2. Willie Pep
3. Vicente Saldivar
4. Eusebio Pedroza
5. Abe Attell
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #59
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
This is my favorite post ever on ESB!!! Thanks NWS
No doubt, C.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #60
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No doubt, C.
Can't begin to tell ya how happy it made me reading the post and checking out the videos, brother!!!!
Clinton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum