Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: What is the most misleading stat in boxing?
High KO number/ratio 8 21.05%
0 losses 22 57.89%
Number of titles 5 13.16%
Other 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: What is the most misleading stat in boxing?

You could knock out a bunch of unranked fighters and also have a high KO percentage, but it still means you have some sort of power and finishing ability.

Winning any sort of shitty world title still means your'e at least top 10 in your weight-class.

Take two people off the street, put them in an boxing match, score it if you need to, and unless it's a draw, you'll suddenly have an undefeated fighter with a 0 on your hands. It means the least of the options given.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBottle View Post
For me the stats on power punches. It seems any non-jab is considered a power and that is misleading when some boxers, in particular the inside fighter, is just throwing arm punches.
exactly, compubox as a whole means shit. It's people with buttons pressing them every time they believe they saw a punch.
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Probably KO saying Vitali Klitschko with the highest ko percentage in boxing makes you think WOW he gonna be better and more devastating then Foreman or Tyson! and then well yeah jab jab....jab hold awkward movement jab
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 2364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post
0 to me. if u got an 0 its most likely because u avoid tough fights to protect it
I disagree greatly.

Did Oscar avoid tough fights when he was 31-0? Did Louis avoid tough fight when he was undefeated entering Schmeling I? Was Chavez avoiding tough fights until Frankie Randall? Naseem Hamed avoiding tough fights up until Barrera? Robinson before LaMotta? What if these guys retired before their first loss. Would what they did be diminished by having not lost? I would think it should be the opposit. Did Monzon avoid tough competition because he never suffered defeat after the first 20 fights of his career? Have Mayweather, Lopez, and Marciano all avoided tough fights to make their wins somehow diminished in any way? Is a win less significant because in your opinion other, better fights are left on the table? No. You judge what has been done. Winning fights are better than losing. Being undefeated means a lot. Just like how a winning streak is a big deal. It's just a winning streak which spans from the pro debut.

It's not misleading at all. Nobody ranks Calzaghe in their top 10, or 20, or 40 ATG because he was undefeated. Not very many people rank Marciano in their top 3 HW's. More people rank Mikey over undefeated Chris John at FW. If all of these things were happening at a mass level I'd say you're right. Currently, I believe people underrate being undefeated because there has been a few notable fighters to retire undefeated to join pretty much only Marciano and people don't really know how to value it. How is that more misleading than KO%, compubox, judges scorecards?
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
big_AL
P4P #1
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt View Post
Lederman's scorecard
this
big_AL is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
I disagree greatly.

Did Oscar avoid tough fights when he was 31-0? Did Louis avoid tough fight when he was undefeated entering Schmeling I? Was Chavez avoiding tough fights until Frankie Randall? Naseem Hamed avoiding tough fights up until Barrera? Robinson before LaMotta? What if these guys retired before their first loss. Would what they did be diminished by having not lost? I would think it should be the opposit. Did Monzon avoid tough competition because he never suffered defeat after the first 20 fights of his career? Have Mayweather, Lopez, and Marciano all avoided tough fights to make their wins somehow diminished in any way? Is a win less significant because in your opinion other, better fights are left on the table? No. You judge what has been done. Winning fights are better than losing. Being undefeated means a lot. Just like how a winning streak is a big deal. It's just a winning streak which spans from the pro debut.

It's not misleading at all. Nobody ranks Calzaghe in their top 10, or 20, or 40 ATG because he was undefeated. Not very many people rank Marciano in their top 3 HW's. More people rank Mikey over undefeated Chris John at FW. If all of these things were happening at a mass level I'd say you're right. Currently, I believe people underrate being undefeated because there has been a few notable fighters to retire undefeated to join pretty much only Marciano and people don't really know how to value it. How is that more misleading than KO%, compubox, judges scorecards?
preach brotha preach!!
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

0 losses and high KO rate. depends who they beat/koed
canucks9314 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum